BLM in Texas Land Dispute

An interesting article on the subject from a local paper.

LINK

The part that confuses me as to why this is even a dispute. If the private land owner has a deed for the land, why can't they simply have a survey done from that deed and show everyone where the boundaries are?

Have a completely third party do it and settle it. Everyone has to understand what the deal is with the avulsion and accretion.

So what are they doing then if they aren't taking the LAND. Isn't that what they have the Army Corp of Engineers for. So this doesn't happen? Seriously not attacking but just wondering. I mean you can make the river flow where ever you want to. I understand Mother Nature did this so now it would be a perfect time to take their land. Sounds weird but also true. sh#t I forgot I can't read sorry disregard.

I have no idea what you're asking.

If the private land owner has a deed for the land, why can't they simply have a survey done from that deed and show everyone where the boundaries are?

Because the deed (presumably, can't say definitively without reading that elusive case) refers to the center or edge of the river as the property line.

If the private land owner has a deed for the land, why can't they simply have a survey done from that deed and show everyone where the boundaries are?

Because the deed (presumably, can't say definitively without reading that elusive case) refers to the center or edge of the river as the property line.

When ever there is a dispute like this, I always have to ask...what makes sense?

So, putting that process to this dispute, it brings up a question....who has been paying taxes on the land? If I'm a land owner and I think I own a certain plot of land I'm going to be paying property taxes on the land. Now, if I have been paying taxes and the county government has been taking those taxes and then the federal government all of a sudden is saying that it's their land, I want my tax dollars back.

A simple solution to this is simply adjust the property boundaries. As a member of this country and the BLM manages land for me (and everyone else), I have absolutely no desire for them to own and pay for the management of large stakes of land along the Red River. Obviously, with the accretion that has happened over long periods of time, the government didn't necessarily do anything to gain ownership of the land. So...adjust the property lines to account for it and be done with it.

When ever there is a dispute like this, I always have to ask...what makes sense?

So, putting that process to this dispute, it brings up a question....who has been paying taxes on the land? If I'm a land owner and I think I own a certain plot of land I'm going to be paying property taxes on the land. Now, if I have been paying taxes and the county government has been taking those taxes and then the federal government all of a sudden is saying that it's their land, I want my tax dollars back.

A simple solution to this is simply adjust the property boundaries. As a member of this country and the BLM manages land for me (and everyone else), I have absolutely no desire for them to own and pay for the management of large stakes of land along the Red River. Obviously, with the accretion that has happened over long periods of time, the government didn't necessarily do anything to gain ownership of the land. So...adjust the property lines to account for it and be done with it.

It's part of the risk of being a riparian. Old common law doesn't have to make sense . . . and it frequently does not.

This is certainly an area that could be addressed in state legislatures if they'd like to tackle a real issue.

It's part of the risk of being a riparian. Old common law doesn't have to make sense . . . and it frequently does not.

This is certainly an area that could be addressed in state legislatures if they'd like to tackle a real issue.

But, the problem is, it would have to be an agreement (in this case) between Texas and Oklahoma law makers. THEN, the BLM would have to agree to it also.