Net Neutrality, or How the Telecom Companies Killed the Internet

I have never understood the title of this thread. Those companies have already killed the internet?

I didn't know the internet was dead.

If they get there way it would destroy the internet the way you and I know it today, and the chances of it happening are scarcely realistic. The f'ing chairman of the FCC is the former leading lobbyist for broadcast companies, thanks Obama.

I have never understood the title of this thread. Those companies have already killed the internet?

"will kill the internet" is more appropriate, but it's legitimate. if they get their way, the internet as we know it will be effectively dead. bye-bye to the internet as a utility, a public domain where all information is treated equally, and hello to an internet where massive corporations control all of the traffic, speeds, and use. not good.

• Fire 1

Sorry--at the time, the Orwellian-titled "Net Neutrality" provisions the FCC was going to pass to allow AT&T, Verizon, et al the ability to install pay fast lanes was looking like it was a done deal.

Now, if they ignore those 1.4 million pieces of feedback (I think Gizmodo said over 99% of them were against paid lanes and supported true Net Neutrality), then we know something is rotten and organizations like the EFF will know to start sniffing.

• 1 month later...

Kinda quietly, Obama is doing exactly what I want done which is pushing for internet access to be classified as a utility - thus subject to the same sort of regulations as water and electricity and the like. Meaning, no paid-for fast lanes that prevent entrepreneurship, idiotic pricing, and in general instillation of what we call net neutrality.

I suspect this is going to get nowhere because Republican Senate and ISP Lobbying and all that but you know what... I have

Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

• Fire 4