Crashing the Party

Good thoughtful read. Long but worth it. Good ending as you note. I'm becoming more and more convinced that center right is the place the party needs to move not far right. I don't have a problem wt Cruz, etc having a voice - they are kind of like the cheerleader admonishing the party not to forget foundational things like fiscal restraint but to have the far right leading - that is a disaster for the repubs. In the same way, the dems should always have an Elizabeth Warren to remind the party not to forget the fundamentals of compassionate govt which the dems have built their legacy on.

That was a very good read. I can relate to so much of that while having aging parents who sit and watch Fox News all night long only think that the work is falling apart and we are all going to die because of Obama and his care.

The Republican party needs to modernize or it will die.

Agreed.

It's depressing to see what happens to people who mainline Faux News and talk radio. They are without question the most cynical (and simultaneously uninformed) people I know. They have very little sense of relevant historical perspective and zero idea about what's going on with the Republican party.

On the article, I would share the author's optimism for the GOP were it not for the fact that the "learning the lessons of political history" theory has already been tried a couple of times. How many elections do these bozos need to lose and by what margins do they need to lose them before the Sane Member Caucus retakes the throne and has the party join us in the 21st century with a 21st century platform?

That was a very good read. I can relate to so much of that while having aging parents who sit and watch Fox News all night long only think that the work is falling apart and we are all going to die because of Obama and his care.

The Republican party needs to modernize or it will die.

Agreed.

It's depressing to see what happens to people who mainline Faux News and talk radio. They are without question the most cynical (and simultaneously uninformed) people I know. They have very little sense of relevant historical perspective and zero idea about what's going on with the Republican party.

On the article, I would share the author's optimism for the GOP were it not for the fact that the "learning the lessons of political history" theory has already been tried a couple of times. How many elections do these bozos need to lose and by what margins do they need to lose them before the Sane Member Caucus retakes the throne and has the party join us in the 21st century with a 21st century platform?

Both political parties have gone through this. They lose multiple elections and people claim their party is dead and out of touch. It only takes a change in people representing that party and it gets revived. I suspect that will happen with the Republicans too.

The one part of the article I found very interesting is basically where he said that when the party looses it 'double downs' on stupidity and proclaims that the party's nominee wasn't 'conservative enough' - thus we have the prospect of a Ted Cruz becoming the nominee this next cycle. (note I believe in conservative principles but a hard right candidate won't win) The Dems did the same thing going from Carter to Mondale and then to the 'little man in the tank' before 'righting' themselves wt Clinton.