An Outsiders View

Why were people outside of Nebraska so shocked that Bo has 9 wins for the past 7 years? Because every time we are on national TV for a big game we get wrecked. No one cares about beating teams you should beat.

Hajun - that quote basically sums it up

"Pelini’s era is defined by victories you don’t remember and losses that you do."

Yeah, I love it, though it's not actually 100% true. I do remember a lot of Pelini's victories, particularly the comebacks against Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern x 3, and Penn State. But even then those victories are remembered for the fact that we won despite playing like complete ass for the majority of the game. Honestly, after 2010, the only win that I remember fondly was the Michigan State game in 2011 where we did that thing where the D-line stood up on every passing down and blitzed the snot out of Kirk Cousins.

Michigan State is the only one I remember because they were a good team we beat. Ohio St finished 6-7 that year...NW and Penn St weren't that good either.

Thanks for the perspective. As someone outside the Nebraska bubble (I live in SoCal) all I hear are people saying they can't believe we haven't fired Pelini. We are the butt of jokes. The idea that firing Pelini would somehow scare away prospective coaches is ridiculous. It's very clear to everyone in the know that Pelini and his staff have no idea what they are doing.

This isn't so much as to discredit you, but from my experiences growing up in the PNW, Nebraska has been a punchline regardless of good/bad, people found a way to hate/joke. Anymore, I really couldn't care less about what our national perception is.

About the state? Agreed. It's a fly-over state and people think Lincoln has one stoplight. But about the football team? There used to be a lot of respect, at least among the people I know out here.

My experiences were different. Lived in WA from 90-12, and it wasn't until the last few years I found someone that respected nebraska without being a pompous prick. Good, great, or embarrassing, they were arrogant.