Mike Riley's performance so far

Dagerow

A lot of you guys are missing the point.

No one is "surprised" or finds it "unexpected" that Riley would want to hire guys he's comfortable with, just as I'm not surprised Bo would want to hire his friends as assistants. But the question is not whether it's natural or surprising that Riley would want to do that. The question is whether he should.

Bottom line: He ain't in Corvallis anymore. The expectations and resources are both higher here. A 5-7 season here will get his ass tarred and feathered. Nebraska can afford a higher caliber of assistant than Oregon State. I don't think it's too much to ask that the man to whom we turn over the keys to the program doesn't just do what feels natural, comfortable, or expected, but instead does whatever he needs to build an elite program, even if that means bringing in coaches with whom he is relatively unfamiliar.

He still has plenty of slots open

A lot of you guys are missing the point.

No one is "surprised" or finds it "unexpected" that Riley would want to hire guys he's comfortable with, just as I'm not surprised Bo would want to hire his friends as assistants. But the question is not whether it's natural or surprising that Riley would want to do that. The question is whether he should.

Bottom line: He ain't in Corvallis anymore. The expectations and resources are both higher here. A 5-7 season here will get his ass tarred and feathered. Nebraska can afford a higher caliber of assistant than Oregon State. I don't think it's too much to ask that the man to whom we turn over the keys to the program doesn't just do what feels natural, comfortable, or expected, but instead does whatever he needs to build an elite program, even if that means bringing in coaches with whom he is relatively unfamiliar.

He still has plenty of slots open

You're right. Here's to hoping he doesn't just fill them with more Oregon State re-treads.