Tackle Eligible

shyndy

As a few people have said above, there is no such thing as "reporting in" as an eligible receiver in college football. BUT, as people above have also said, the pass was backwards and in that case it doesn't matter what number you are wearing, it is legal.

Also, as some have said above, the officiating was not good...but it was at least partially a Big XII squad...so what would you expect.

They got that call wrong (and as someone else has said, it didn't really matter since NU scored. The bigger screw up on the part of the officials was on the kick return for a TD by Adoree Jackson. That TD, by rule, should have been disallowed. The rule says (this is not a quote, rather a paraphrase) that when a player does some sort of a celebration or act that brings attention to himself, that is unsportsmanlike conduct and that it should be penalized 15 yards from where the act began. In this case, Jackson sort of bounce stepped (to start his front flip) at about the two yard line. So the flag should have been thrown and the TD taken off the board. The ball should have been placed at the 16 or 17 yard line...first and ten USC.

I was looking for that too, but I guess the penalty is the flip itself and it looked like the ball was on or over the line when he started the flip so the TD had been scored. It could've been called at the hop I guess but if he just hops into the end zone with no flip they probably don't call anything.

The rule says something about where the celebration (or the act) start. Clearly the act starts at about the 2 yard line.

As a few people have said above, there is no such thing as "reporting in" as an eligible receiver in college football. BUT, as people above have also said, the pass was backwards and in that case it doesn't matter what number you are wearing, it is legal.

Also, as some have said above, the officiating was not good...but it was at least partially a Big XII squad...so what would you expect.

They got that call wrong (and as someone else has said, it didn't really matter since NU scored. The bigger screw up on the part of the officials was on the kick return for a TD by Adoree Jackson. That TD, by rule, should have been disallowed. The rule says (this is not a quote, rather a paraphrase) that when a player does some sort of a celebration or act that brings attention to himself, that is unsportsmanlike conduct and that it should be penalized 15 yards from where the act began. In this case, Jackson sort of bounce stepped (to start his front flip) at about the two yard line. So the flag should have been thrown and the TD taken off the board. The ball should have been placed at the 16 or 17 yard line...first and ten USC.

I was looking for that too, but I guess the penalty is the flip itself and it looked like the ball was on or over the line when he started the flip so the TD had been scored. It could've been called at the hop I guess but if he just hops into the end zone with no flip they probably don't call anything.

The rule says something about where the celebration (or the act) start. Clearly the act starts at about the 2 yard line.

His feet were on the goal line when he started his flip.

His feet were on the goal line when he started his flip.

Watch the replay again. He does a little stutter step at about the 2 yard line to set up the flip. THAT stutter step was the start of the celebration. If he was not going to flip he would not have broken stride and would have just run into the end zone. Where he broke stride is where the penalty SHOULD have been enforced. If the penalty would have been enforced properly it would have been no TD....first and ten from the 16 (or 17) yard line.

It would be different if they had not called the penalty...but clearly they saw the intent of his actions being to draw attention to himself. If that is the case the penalty is supposed to be enforced where the action began.