How did a young man from Alabama become a star at Nebraska?

knapplc

No Question

Go to Nebraska or stay close to home? Go pro or stay in school? With a strong family behind him and a shot at history in front of him the usual questions rarely apply to Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah...

It’s early May in Hoover, Ala., and there are Southeastern Conference banners hanging from the streetlights. If towns talk via what they choose to promote, it could seem like a strange thing to say to an outsider. Unless you know that the SEC holds its annual media days here in the suburbs south of Birmingham, it might just look like an odd bit of allegiance to a conference fostered through football. Even if you do know, that event is more than two months away — it’s a safe bet that Chicago hasn’t put up its Big Ten banners yet — so the message conveyed is the same, and that’s probably not a coincidence.

Long before Ameer Abdullah was getting Ciante Evans out of a sideline butt-chewing, or busting off 200-yard games with regularity, or running around, past or through the entire defense to seal a win against a plucky foe, he had a decision to make: Play football in his beloved state of Alabama, or take a chance on a school hundreds of miles away.

Brandon Vogel gives us some insight into the family who helped Ameer make that fateful decision.

• Fire 2

Great, great article. Coming out of high school, one of the things that made the difference between Ameer and any number of similarly talented players were his core values and determination. Seriously. I know that sounds sappy, but it's true. And I credit his parents and family with instilling those. Ameer wouldn't be who he is today without his parents and family. I'm glad he was a part of our team. Truly one of the high points of Husker history.

I'm really glad Abdullah was a Husker. Another truly great representative of what I think this program is all about.

As much as Ameer did accomplish on the field here, I guess with him I will always get this feeling of regret that he wasn't given more. It seemed like Ameer fought pretty hard for nearly every yard he got here.

I hope Ameer enjoyed being a Husker as much as we Husker fans enjoyed watching him play. I hope his work ethic and never give up mentality was passed on to some of the younger players currently on the roster and perhaps becomes a legacy to influence many more down the line.

I wish him a great future in the NFL and in life. I hope the Broncos realize drafting a Wisconsin Badger was a mistake and release Montee Ball just to make room for Ameer in the backfield. (okay, not likely to happen......but it would be sweet to see). Just please Ameer, don't become a Chief.