This Is So Sad

The police officer who died, was engaged to be married. The jerk who ran, is an S.O.B.! I know that there are policemen on Huskerboard so please be very careful.

The motorist charged with five felonies in connection with a chase that resulted in the death of a Bakersfield police officer told investigators he hates the BPD and if he had been stopped by police while armed he would have shot at them, according to redacted reports that became available Thursday.

Julian Hernandez admitted to being the driver Officer David Nelson was chasing at 2:40 a.m. June 26., the reports filed in court say. He said he threw a shotgun from his car while Nelson pursued him eastbound on Panorama Drive.

The reports say Nelson, 26, provided updates during the chase in which he told dispatchers he was chasing a suspect at speeds of 75 mph. His last update indicated there were no pedestrian and no other traffic as he chased the suspect eastbound on Panorama.

Another officer arrived at the scene shortly afterward and found Nelson’s patrol vehicle wrecked at the northwest corner of Panorama and Alfred Harrell Highway.

The reports say Nelson was apparently making a left turn onto Alfred Harrell from Panorama but crossed the raised center divider and hit the curb, spinning his car around. The car continued traveling eastward and hit a wooden power pole and a concrete brick wall.

Nelson died from massive blunt force trauma including a torn aorta and several other torn internal organs, according to the reports. A doctor told investigators Nelson would not have survived more than a minute with those injuries.

The officer was not wearing a seatbelt, the reports say.

A person who knows Hernandez called police the next morning and told them it’s likely he was the suspect they were looking for.

Hernandez has a long criminal history, with multiple convictions for spousal abuse. He has declined to be interviewed.

The motorist ... told investigators he hates the BPD and if he had been stopped by police WHILE ARMED he would have shot at them, ...

He said he THREW A SHOTGUN from his car while Nelson pursued him eastbound on Panorama Drive.

The driver was clearly all talk... awful that it still resulted in the Officer's death. My thoughts and prayers to that Ofiicer's family.

The driver is a piece of crap. Even if he is all talk, he's still a complete loser.

Gotta wonder how the officer would be right now if he'd have been wearing his seat belt. I rolled a car end-for-end when I was a kid and walked away without injury because of my seat belt. Those things save lives.