Penn State's John Urschel

NUance

CLgxiEkVAAAHNjQ.jpg

A 308-pound NFL player explains why he drives a comically small used car that cost him $9,000
Business Insider By Tony Manfred 15 hours ago
Baltimore Ravens guard John Urschel has one of the most unusual stories in the NFL. He earned a bachelor's degree from Penn State in three years and spent his senior year getting his master's degree in mathematics while teaching integral vector calculus trigonometry during the fall semester.
He has been published in the Journal of Computation Mathematics and wants to pursue a doctorate when his playing career is over. He's one of the smartest players in the NFL. He's also one of the most frugal.
According to a profile by Childs Walker of the Baltimore Sun, he lives on $25,000 a year and had a roommate last year to keep his expenses down. Urschel made $564,000 in salary and bonuses as a rookie in 2014 after getting picked in the fifth round of the NFL Draft.

Ha ha! This is awesome! I'll guarantee this guy won't be one of the ex-NFL players who is broke at age 30.

• Fire 1

That's awesome. I always wondered how much money the avg NFL player has when they are out of the league and could that provide enough supplemental income (say $50K/year) until they retire?

I vaguely remember a story on Ricky Henderson on how cheap he was and saved every penny. Something like he would pocket his per diem and eat cheap on the road.