Alabama Series

Sweep 'Bama

NU Sports Information

The No. 6 Nebraska baseball team scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to snap a 2-2 tie and surge to a 6-2 victory and a three-game home-opening series sweep of No. 25 Alabama at Hawks Field on Sunday afternoon.

Brett Jensen picked up the win with two innings of shutout relief.

With the victory, Nebraska notched its sixth consecutive victory and improved to 11-2 overall. The Huskers have also won 14 straight games at Hawks Field dating back to last season.

NU closer Brett Jensen picked up the win with two innings of shutout relief, after Alabama tied the game at two with a run in the top of the eighth inning.

Jake Mort started Nebraska's decisive eighth-inning rally with a single before advancing to second on a bunt single by Bryce Nimmo. The Huskers were then the beneficiaries of three consecutive walks by Alabama pitchers, starting with Nick Jaros' walk to load the bases. Ryan Wehrle then walked to score Mort, before Luke Gorsett made it three straight free passes to score Nimmo and give the Huskers a 4-2 lead.

Brandon Buckman followed with a sacrifice fly to score Wehrle, before Nick Sullivan drove in Gorsett with a ground out to give the Huskers a 6-2 advantage.

Alabama opened the scoring with a run in the top of the first, before Nebraska answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth. That NU rally was also started by Mort, who was hit by a pitch with one out before Nimmo doubled to move Mort to third. After a strikeout, Wehrle added a double of his own to drive in both Mort and Nimmo and give the Huskers a 2-1 lead.

Alabama tied the score with an unearned run in the top of the eighth before Nebraska put the Crimson Tide away with a four-run eighth.

"I’m encouraged by the fact that we lost our No. 1 guy (Joba Chamberlain) on Thursday, then pitched our No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 guys, and still earned the sweep," Anderson said. "That’s about all you can ask for."

Didn't even realize Joba was "lost"...When did he get hurt and what happened?

"I’m encouraged by the fact that we lost our No. 1 guy (Joba Chamberlain) on Thursday, then pitched our No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 guys, and still earned the sweep," Anderson said. "That’s about all you can ask for."

He has some tightness in his tricep, per the OWH this morning. Leaving him out is more precautionary than anything.

He has some tightness in his tricep, per the OWH this morning. Leaving him out is more precautionary than anything.

whew!..thanks for the info... :worship

I guess the new pitching coach messed with his release. He said it feels a lot nicer on his arm, and he doesn't feel like he is straining it as much. So lets hope this leads to an even better year for him. At first I was worried, but after seeing we got the sweep without him i can't wait to have him back.