Rob Zatchka Thoughts On Riley and Langsdorf's Comfort Zone On Offense

ajt1970

Riley and Langsdorf are simply uncomfortable running the ball, hence they have a hard time sticking with the run when a few plays aren't successful, and on the other hand, they would rather stay with throwing the ball, even when it is not being successful, due to passing the ball is what they are comfortable with,

It's like someone handing an angler a fishing lure to use in which they have no confidence. If forced into it, they would, but their heart wouldn't be in it:

"Yeah, I know Charlie caught his limit on those Senkos the last time out, and they sell the Bejeebers out of them at the Marina and it was in Field & Stream 'Hot Lures' article, but it just don't look right to me. It just doesn't! How can that thing work? I'm sticking with my Jitterbug."

That is actually a really good analogy. I'm a bass fisherman and there are certain lures I love to use because I have the utmost confidence that they "work". Other lures (especially jerk baits) I use from time to time trying to catch fish with them but I have no confidence in them and will normally go to something else quickly.

Their screen plays are my buzz baits. Their jet sweeps are my spinner baits. Their runs up the middle are my jigs.

Riley and Langsdorf are simply uncomfortable running the ball, hence they have a hard time sticking with the run when a few plays aren't successful, and on the other hand, they would rather stay with throwing the ball, even when it is not being successful, due to passing the ball is what they are comfortable with,

It's like someone handing an angler a fishing lure to use in which they have no confidence. If forced into it, they would, but their heart wouldn't be in it:

"Yeah, I know Charlie caught his limit on those Senkos the last time out, and they sell the Bejeebers out of them at the Marina and it was in Field & Stream 'Hot Lures' article, but it just don't look right to me. It just doesn't! How can that thing work? I'm sticking with my Jitterbug."

senkos are way more versatile than the jitterbug!!!! Senkos can be rigged to fish the entire depth while jitterbugs are strictly top water. but imo chatterbaits is where its at! bass pike walleye ect ect.

Jitterbug at night on water that's like glass.....slow retrieve and just wait for the explosion.

What I don't understand is Riley and Banker develop a defense predicated on stopping the run first on their way to the QB, demonstrating they know how important it is to control the opponent's running game. However, Riley and Langsdorf all but ignore the running game in their own offense and implement a pass first to "open up the run" scheme. It just seems very inconsistent in logic.

• Fire 1

You know, it's great and all that all of these former Huskers that won National Championships and were part of a dynasty want to give us their opinion on whats wrong with the program.

But I think their view is too skewed to understand what programs go through nowadays.

I think I would like to hear from players that played under Solich during the 7-7 year or Callahan under the first 5-7 year to give us some perspective on just how f'ing crazy we as fans are and what it's like to hear day in and day out that your coach must be fired immediately. You as a player sucks. Your coaches and coordinators suck. And how they are doing everything wrong and we know what's best, etc, etc, etc.

I want to know how they handled adversity. Down times. Truly rabid fans that had it in for them at every turn. That questioned every play.

Good point. I think Adam carriker and Barrett Ruud fit your description quite well, and they do give commentary on the team occasionally.