Meet Nebraska's Two Tommy Armstrongs

eightlaces

In relationship to the OP:

3. Does NU not have any QB behind TA that is even reasonably prepared to play in a Power 5 conference? If not Why?

- No, because Bo Pelini's roster management/recruitment was horrible and we're seeing the results of it. If Armstrong's an efficient QB, Nebraska nudges out Iowa for the nation's love this year. If given the option, I'd take an 80 percent healthy Armstrong over a completely healthy Fyfe (and this choice has been made).

Clueless post.

Two 4 star QBs and a 3 star along with a walkon who previously showed promise.

Give Riley and Langs Hackenburg, Cook or any other "game manager" and they are still going to produce their average seasons, just like they always have.

A coach who can't win with this roster is the problem, not the other way around.

2004-2007 deja vu all over again. I accept that a lot of fans didn't learn, but it is truely sad, that Prickman didn't learn anything from that fiasco. Shows what a feckless "leader" he really is.

Also, I couldn't agree more with world's post. Just like in 2004, Riley's staff is trying to force a square peg into a round hole, even though they said they wouldn't.

Sigh.

They totally redesigned the offense around Tommy because he's the best QB on the 2015 roster and there's no stud RB like Abdullah or even Burkhead. You saw what Fyfe brings. Bush and Darlington are no better and it wouldn't surprise me to see both gone. This offense is like a custom-made suit for Armstrong. You can only do so much to help before the player starts ripping at the seams.

• Fire 1

3. Does NU not have any QB behind TA that is even reasonably prepared to play in a Power 5 conference? If not Why?

- No, because Bo Pelini's roster management/recruitment was horrible and we're seeing the results of it. If Armstrong's an efficient QB, Nebraska nudges out Iowa for the nation's love this year. If given the option, I'd take an 80 percent healthy Armstrong over a completely healthy Fyfe (and this choice has been made).

Clueless post.

Give Riley and Langs Hackenburg, Cook or any other "game manager" and they are still going to produce their average seasons, just like they always have.

A coach who can't win with this roster is the problem, not the other way around.

2004-2007 deja vu all over again. I accept that a lot of fans didn't learn, but it is truely sad, that Prickman didn't learn anything from that fiasco. Shows what a feckless "leader" he really is.

Also, I couldn't agree more with world's post. Just like in 2004, Riley's staff is trying to force a square peg into a round hole, even though they said they wouldn't.

Sigh.

They totally redesigned the offense around Tommy because he's the best QB on the 2015 roster and there's no stud RB like Abdullah or even Burkhead. You saw what Fyfe brings. Bush and Darlington are no better and it wouldn't surprise me to see both gone. This offense is like a custom-made suit for Armstrong. You can only do so much to help before the player starts ripping at the seams.

Can you explain how they redesigned the offense around Tommy?

• Fire 1

Here you go, look where the player the picks off the pass is lined up....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14237487

He's playing defensive end. That makes him a defensive end on this play, not a linebacker.

So a linebacker playing zone that happens to pick off a pass is playing cornerback or safety?

Typically when a defensive player lines up with both hands on the ground over the offensive tackle they are called a defensive end. I know football is hard for you but that's a pretty common term for that player. He wasn't playing zone, Lewis tried to cut him, he fought it off and read the play.

• Fire 1

Armstrong is not the answer and never will be with this offense. He doesn't have the fundamentals nor the field presence and patience to be a good passer, which is what this offense requires. To develop the motor skills of proper qb'ing mechanics you typically start young as in any other sport. To break bad habit's and create new one's can take years.

He should have played a lot less this year then he did and it's too bad. That's another knock on this coaching staff IMO.

Clueless post.

Sigh.

Alright. It's obvious Tommy was the best offensive player that would consistently touch the ball, no? Start there. Riley actually loves having the ability available to him that Armstrong brings as a player in terms of having a pass/run threat (I know many won't believe that, but I can assure you that it's true).

One of Nebraska's deepest positions this year was receivers (this doesn't change going into 2016). Knowing this, how do we best work with what we have?

1. Take advantage of what Tommy knows (ZR)

1b. Get him backs for the ZR option(s)

2. Get the receivers in place to help him be the most effective QB he can be.

3. Coach the OL and blockers to this.

It's been all Tommy all the time. This is why we've seen him play when badly banged up and to the point where he had to throw off his back foot.

Armstrong is not the answer and never will be with this offense. He doesn't have the fundamentals nor the field presence and patience to be a good passer, which is what this offense requires. To develop the motor skills of proper qb'ing mechanics you typically start young as in any other sport. To break bad habit's and create new one's can take years.

He should have played a lot less this year then he did and it's too bad. That's another knock on this coaching staff IMO.

He's not a good fit for the offense that Riley/Langs runs, that's the extent of it.

• Fire 1

He's playing defensive end. That makes him a defensive end on this play, not a linebacker.

So a linebacker playing zone that happens to pick off a pass is playing cornerback or safety?

Typically when a defensive player lines up with both hands on the ground over the offensive tackle they are called a defensive end. I know football is hard for you but that's a pretty common term for that player. He wasn't playing zone, Lewis tried to cut him, he fought it off and read the play.

Everything about this post is glorious.

He's not a good fit for the offense that Riley/Langs runs, that's the extent of it.

He's the best they've got and they have to make due. That's the extent of it.

Appears to be a 5 tech with his hand in the dirt. I'd consider that a DE, but that distinction has been greatly blurred over the years.

Regardless, he's not a read on this play. He should have been blocked. He made a great play to avoid being blocked and to grab the INT. Hats off to him.

Surely, we can find another Tommy play to argue about.

I haven't read this article yet, but the title is a perfect summary of this vexing season. Well done!

I mean, I'm not that ticked off about it. It is what it is and it's our interesting development to watch unfold. It's been a wild ride -- and it may continue in the same way just yet, who knows. Stay tuned.

Clueless post.

Sigh.

Alright. It's obvious Tommy was the best offensive player that would consistently touch the ball, no? Start there. Riley actually loves having the ability available to him that Armstrong brings as a player in terms of having a pass/run threat (I know many won't believe that, but I can assure you that it's true).

One of Nebraska's deepest positions this year was receivers (this doesn't change going into 2016). Knowing this, how do we best work with what we have?

1. Take advantage of what Tommy knows (ZR)

1b. Get him backs for the ZR option(s)

2. Get the receivers in place to help him be the most effective QB he can be.

3. Coach the OL and blockers to this.

It's been all Tommy all the time. This is why we've seen him play when badly banged up and to the point where he had to throw off his back foot.

Are you serious with this? If that was the game plan the coaches failed on all of those.

How many zone reads do you think they've run with Tommy this year? You do realize that Tommy ran 20 more plays last year than this year right? Even with the offense centered around Abdullah? He had more total yards and a higher yards per play average. He also threw fewer interceptions and had a higher passer rating.

• Fire 1

He's the best they've got and they have to make due. That's the extent of it.

We are all certainly entitled to our opinion.