K States Qb situation, state of team

This is from Sunday's Catzone....

MANHATTAN -- Kevin Lopina is right where he wants to be. Allen Webb might not be.

On Saturday, as Kansas State conducted its first open spring practice since 1988, questions about the Wildcat quarterbacks quickly surfaced.

Lopina, a redshirt freshman who spent much of last season directing the Wildcats' scout team, was conspicuous Saturday because he worked alongside K-State's first-teamers. Webb, a senior who started 10 games during the past two seasons, was conspicuous by his absence.

So where is Webb? Is he still on the team? If so, is he thinking about leaving?

"I'm not going to talk about that," K-State coach Ron Prince said.

After coming off the bench and rallying K-State from a 14-point deficit to a 36-28 win over Missouri in last season's finale, Webb was expected to join Lopina and three other quarterbacks in the battle for the 2006 starting job. Whether he will now seems doubtful.

During his two-year career as part-time starter, Webb completed 111 of 199 passes for 1,371 and 12 touchdowns. The 6-foot-3 product of Denver, who left the Indiana program three years ago, also rushed for 590 yards and eight scores, including a memorable 34-carry, 147-yard, four-TD performance against Nebraska in 2004.

K-State sports information director Garry Bowman and several Wildcat players said Webb practiced on Monday and Wednesday before suddenly disappearing. Why he missed the Friday and Saturday workouts is anyone's guess.

"I'm just as clueless as you are," senior offensive lineman Greg Wafford said.

What is certain, however, is that Lopina is back in the thick of things for the first time since he concluded a standout prep career at De La Salle High School in Pleasanton, Calif.

"It feels good, but I've always got to be on my edge because all of these quarterbacks are capable of being our starting quarterback," Lopina said, referring to fellow competitors Allan Evridge, Josh Freeman and Dylan Meier. "So I'm not getting too excited because it could change at any time. You just never know what's going to happen."

A 6-3, 220-pounder, Lopina looked comfortable guiding the Cats' top team. Showing the talent that helped him throw for nearly 1,400 yards during his senior season at De La Salle, he completed several passes, including a deep sideline route to Jordy Nelson early in the scrimmage.

Lopina said he has been working with the first team throughout the week, but he knows the rest of spring drills and the April 22 Purple and White game will be critical to his chances.

"I'm not really sure how they pick the rotation or what, but I'm excited to be out here," he said. "I think these next couple of weeks are going to indicate who's going to be the person."

Yeah, but don't you like your chances, Kevin?

"I think everyone likes their chances," he said. "I mean, everyone's coming in with the same mindset -- new coach, new offense, clean slate, and everyone's thinking they've got a chance."

Well, everyone except Webb, perhaps.

Freeman with second team

While Lopina and sophomore Allan Evridge spent time running with the first-team offense, true freshman Josh Freeman directed the second-team unit and senior Dylan Meier led the third-teamers.

Prince cautioned not to make too much of K-State's rotation just four practices into the spring season, however.

"At this point, we're trying to get a lot of the quarterbacks with a lot of different units," Prince said. "It would be unfair to the quarterbacks to try to evaluate them with wide receivers and offensive linemen who are still learning the system. So everyone's still in the learning mode."

Freeman, the highly touted 6-6 product of Grandview High in Kansas City, Mo., demonstrated a strong but often inaccurate right arm.

"Everything happens a lot faster here," Freeman said. "It all happens in the blink of an eye, blurs of color.

"I'm learning. It's a totally different game, so I'm just trying absorb everything they throw in and put it into action."

K-STATE QUICK KICKS

• Although he admitted K-State is "very rusty and very raw" and isn't nearly ready for game action, Prince gave the first week of practice a thumbs-up.

"I'm very pleased with their attention to detail," he said. "This is very detailed stuff. Is it perfect? No. It's the first week, but we're right on schedule, right where we wanted to be, and I was very satisfied."

• K-State's first-string offense included LT Derek Meyer, LG Wafford, C Jordan Bedore, RG Caleb Handy, RT Gerard Spexarth, TE Rashaad Norwood, WR Jordy Nelson, WR Yamon Figurs and WR Jermaine Moreira. Thomas Clayton and Parrish Fisher rotated at running back.

• K-State's first-team defense consisted of DE Ian Campbell, DL Blake Seiler, DL Steven Cline, DE Eric Childs, LB Brandon Archer, LB Zach Diles, LB Maurice Mack, CB Justin McKinney, S Kyle Williams, S Courtney Herndon and CBs Devin Anderson and Bryan Baldwin.

During the NU/KSU baseball game they said on the radio that Freeman was already #2 on the depth chart.

Keep movin up chump...we'll be seein you an Daddy Loveprince Oct. 14th. :thumbs

Just make sure you're wearing your Depends. :bounce