Huskers Change Special Teams Practice Approach

I liked the improvement I saw in the kicking game last season. Losing the best returner in the nation obviously didn't help matters in the return game, but I would have liked to see a better Plan B.

I don't think Read should be on any kind of hot seat based on his job performance, but I fully understand the desire to give the position to someone who would be a boss recruiter.

So in what I would argue is the areas most affected by scheme we got a lot worse and in the area least affected by scheme we got a lot better.

Not sure I agree here. There is plenty of "scheme" on the coverage units. Each guy has his responsibility and all it takes is one or two guys to be out of position to give up a long return.

I didn't say there wasn't any scheme on coverage units. I said the ones that were more affected and less affected by the scheme.

With a great kicker, you barely need kick coverage. And a great punter can help the coverage unit out tremendously. The returns are almost totally reliant on scheme. Not to negate the ability of the returners but even DPE wouldn't have looked like much of a return guy in 2013.