OWH: Youth a Blessing and a Curse

"would seem to fit the pattern that was brought up - One good year and a couple bad ones" isn't what was said

what was said was "one good class followed up by a couple poor ones". How is our current class poor? it is the second best class based on 247 player rankings in the last 10+ years with the only one better being the previous class of Miles. That gives us the best two classes in a row.... How is that poor?

You can say that about the transfers and some agree or disagree with the use of transfers, however we are very young with talent and adding some upperclassmen talent seems like a wise choice in this case. It also keeps us from having back to back classes with 5 guys which would seem to be a little unbalanced - I believe 3 or 4 a year is the norm.

If you want to argue that the order has to specifically be good, bad, bad, I think you're missing the forest for the trees.

And I don't mind grabbing transfers. It's basically the norm in college basketball now-a-days. But your statement about Miles having no control over the smaller class sizes was demonstrably false. He could have chosen to not take any transfers and only take high school players.

I'm arguing that he just went good good back to back years. I'm also saying that he took transfers to fill the gaps that needed to be filled. Yes he had control however the smaller class of 3 and having transfers were the better option. You are starting to crack me up with your desire to pick and choose small parts of peoples statements and using blurry vision to make them say things that weren't said.

Rankings are just that rankings and based on those rankings our top players (outside of Watson) didn't play like top players are supposed to play. Is that because of a lack of coaching, or is it because they were not as good as recruiting "experts" claimed.. time will tell on both.

Tim could very well change his previous M.O. on how his teams have done, since he has everything he could possible need at NU. So far, he is trending exactly the same.. bad years then a good one or two.

I shouldn't have been so specific with my original post, I should have left it at his overall records. His overall records at each school have been basically the same.. bad years then a good one. Hopefully, he can change that here, but Tim, going into his 5th year, is sitting at .500

That might have been a wise choice.

I was referring to recruiting becuase that was what was stated. It's not fair to judge a recruit solely by his ranking and it is also not fair to judge him by his performance until he has atleast hit his junior year, better yet wait tell he has completed his final year. However it is not that much fun to wait until somebody is gone before we start talking about him - so we do the best we can with what we know.

You are always going to have players play above or below there rankings - shavon Shields is a great example of a guy we would take over and over. For every one of him there is a bust that is the complete opposite.

When we are talking about the last two classes - on paper they are very good in NU terms. We can discuss how good they really were in 4 years........

That might have been a wise choice.

(1st) I was referring to recruiting becuase that was what was stated. (2nd) It's not fair to judge a recruit solely by his ranking and it is also not fair to judge him by his performance until he has atleast hit his junior year, better yet wait tell he has completed his final year. However it is not that much fun to wait until somebody is gone before we start talking about him - so we do the best we can with what we know.

You are always going to have players play above or below there rankings - shavon Shields is a great example of a guy we would take over and over. For every one of him there is a bust that is the complete opposite.

When we are talking about the last two classes - on paper they are very good in NU terms. We can discuss how good they really were in 4 years........

First bold.. I know, that was my mistake. Second bold.. I never said it was not ok to judge performance, on the contrary, I said their performance to this point has not been on par with what a top recruit should do. This isn't football, where you have numerous plays to get down, or learn the offense. basketball is the easiest to come in and flourish as a freshman.

I didn't quote anything previously in my statement. It was a general statement. Some of the things that i said in my post were directed to you - as in the first sentence. Some of the things were pointed more towards MAV. Again they were mostly general statements.

Basketball is very different then football, however typically the top 20-25 BB recruits are ready to come in and play at a high level as freshman and most of those same guys are looking to leave early before they finish their degrees. The second tier players 50-125 typically have a reason that they are ranked at that level (lack muscle, size, technique issue, or played at a high school level that wasn't going to translate to the college level without a year of experiencing the college game. NU is going the recruit mostly that second tier guy - so they are going to be true 4/5 year players. Not the 3 year players that go to the top programs.

I didn't quote anything previously in my statement. It was a general statement. Some of the things that i said in my post were directed to you - as in the first sentence. Some of the things were pointed more towards MAV. Again they were mostly general statements.

Basketball is very different then football, however typically the top 20-25 BB recruits are ready to come in and play at a high level as freshman and most of those same guys are looking to leave early before they finish their degrees. The second tier players 50-125 typically have a reason that they are ranked at that level (lack muscle, size, technique issue, or played at a high school level that wasn't going to translate to the college level without a year of experiencing the college game. NU is going the recruit mostly that second tier guy - so they are going to be true 4/5 year players. Not the 3 year players that go to the top programs.

Oh gotcha, my bad! That said, to the bold.. I agree with everything, which is why I am not sold on Tim. He hasn't, in my opinion, done a good job coaching those players up.

Again, just my opinion.