ESPN: Top 25 Big Ten Players

To complement ESPN's unveiling of the top 100 players in college football, we've assembled a Big Ten-specific list of the league's top 25 players, based on past performance and future potential.

We've already looked at players who missed the cut, so let's officially kick this off with Nos. 21-25:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/135020/top-big-ten-players-nos-25-21

(25-21)

24. Jordan Westerkamp, WR, Nebraska: According to Pro Football Focus, he's the highest-rated returning receiver among the Power 5. And it sure is hard to argue he's not the best wideout in the Big Ten. He has been making circus-catch highlights like this his whole career, and Westerkamp just seems to have a penchant for the big play. No returning Big Ten wideout caught more balls thrown more than 20 yards last season. No, Westerkamp hasn't yet surpassed 1,000 yards in a single season, but he's a natural playmaker -- and he could cross that plateau in 2016.

17. Tommy Armstrong Jr., QB, Nebraska: The school records for passing are in serious jeopardy, and there’s no question about Armstrong’s experience as he prepares to add to a resume that already includes 33 starts. His veteran presence and the chance to perhaps finally be unleashed more in the rushing game is a major reason that the Huskers might be poised to bounce back and make a run at the West Division title. The only question is about his ability to protect the football, and if Armstrong cuts down on the mistakes, he figures to rate much higher in the postseason player rankings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/134991/counting-down-the-big-tens-top-players-nos-20-16

• Fire 3

Westerkamp at 24? I don't even know how he can be that low based on past performance and future potential.

Well, they've got CJ Beathard ranked 14, so IDK what they're thinking.
They just lost all credibility with that.

247Sports posted its top 247 players (not recruits) for 2016 (probably it was linked elsewhere on this site but whatever). Those who find the ESPN ratings distasteful really won't like 247.

Here's the article to go along with the 247 list...

# Players on this list from B1G teams...

7.. Michigan and tOSU
5..Iowa
4..Ped State
3..Northwestern,
2..Illinois, Wisconsin
1..Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue (Gerry is #150)

Have a super day everyone (you too cm husker)!

247Sports posted its top 247 players (not recruits) for 2016 (probably it was linked elsewhere on this site but whatever). Those who find the ESPN ratings distasteful really won't like 247.

# Players on this list from B1G teams...

7.. Michigan and tOSU

5..Iowa

4..Ped State

3..Northwestern,

2..Illinois, Wisconsin

1..Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue (Gerry is #150)

Have a super day everyone (you too cm husker)!

Yes, I think it's well understood that the talent was squandered and covered up by inept coaching.

Based on a quick review of the Iowa guys (one of whom was beathead), none were better than low 3* and the majority were 2* or unranked as recruits.

So clearly this list is based to a degree on performance and team impact and not a list of the actual best athletes.

If NU goes 9-3 last season, NU probably has 4 or 5 guys on the list.

It would be interesting to see if any team with a losing record last season posted more than 1 guy on that list.

Honestly, though, I don't understand why some Husker fans have such a vested interested in arguing that our players aren't very good.

It's crazy to me.

Maybe it's more about impact for a team than skill set?

Maybe they explain their methodology, but I actually won't read these things from ESPN.

The list is based on past production and future potential according to the article with it.

Maybe it's more about impact for a team than skill set?

Maybe they explain their methodology, but I actually won't read these things from ESPN.

The list is based on past production and future potential according to the article with it.

Thanks. Then I have to wonder how Westy isn't there. Unless they think the touches will be widely distributed this coming season.