A Cornhusker Short Story

A proud Midwestern family are diehard Husker fans. Let’s listen in to a conversation between grandpa Dale and his grandson Liam...

Liam: “Grandpa, you’ve been a Husker fan a long time, right?”

Dale: “Don’t you remember? I told you how your Great Grandpa took me to my first Husker football game that year the Big Red won the national championship the first time. Jerry Tagge... Joe Orduna... Willie Harper... what a group!”

Liam: “I guess I forgot some of that.”

Liam: “So the Huskers used to be pretty good, huh?”

Dale: “Pretty good? Little man, we were one of the best. The very best. Year after year. They made people around America pull out maps to figure out where Nebraska was...”

Liam: “What’s a map?”

Dale: "Never mind."

Liam: “And they were good for a long time, right?”

Dale: “They were good for forty years. But since you came along, not so much.”

Liam: “You’re not blaming me, right?”

Dale: “Just seeing if you’re paying attention.”

Liam: “So what happened? Why did they begin to suck?”

Dale: “Remember what I said about using that word?”

Liam: “Sorry. Why did they begin to STINK?”

Dale: “A couple things happened. The team got a different coach. Other schools got good, too. Schools that weren’t good before also got good. The Huskers didn’t react fast enough. They fell behind. They’ve been trying to catch up ever since but it hasn’t worked out yet.”

Liam: “Can the Huskers ever be really good again?”

Dale: “Look. It’s my job to keep your spirits up. But I can’t lie to you. It’s gonna be tough, real tough. Too much time has gone by. Too many high school guys want to play for other schools. Too many cool uniforms. Too many fun towns. And since they joined the Big Ten? I better stop... I might use that word I don’t like.”

Liam: “That’s OK grandpa. I can see you getting upset.”

Dale: “No Liam - disappointed. I remember what this football team used to be. I remember how special a Saturday afternoon in Lincoln used to be. I remember when we used to play for titles instead of hoping some sorry bowl game asks us to play at the end of the year. I remember walking from one end of town to the other when I was a kid and I didn’t even have to bring a radio because everybody was outside listening to the game.”

Dale: “And worst of all? You’ll never experience any of that. Yeah, I can tell you about it. But that’s like telling you how good a steak was instead of you tasting it yourself. That’s what I’m most sad about.”

Liam: “But grandpa, nobody said we had to be good forever, did they?”

Dale: “No, but we all so wanted it to be. But you’re right. We had more success than a lot of other people will ever see. I guess we need to remember that.”

Dale: “And son, always know what’s good about the Cornhuskers. It’s not football players. It’s not who the coach is. It’s not if we ever win another championship. The best thing about the Cornhuskers is the fans. Like you and me. And your kids one day maybe. Always was, always will be. Nobody can take that away.”

Liam: “So what’s gonna happen to the Huskers now, Grandpa?”

Dale: “What I always say to you. Just do the best you can. Be the best you can be. Try your hardest. Be good to people. Whatever happens after that, it’s all a bonus. You did your part and you can hold your head up.”

Liam: “Is it sissy to say how much you mean to me, Grandpa?”

Dale: “Go ahead... no one is looking! That’s enough big talk. Let’s go out and get something cold and sweet!”

Liam: “I though I was supposed to say that!”

• Plus1 3