Iowa in NE

It's mostly about Iowa, but deals with NE, so it's important nonetheless

Hawkeyes may consider Milliard North extension of Iowa Reply

From OWH:

If things keep up at this rate, Norm Parker may as well consider Millard North just an extension of Iowa.

With three former Mustang players on Iowa's football roster this season, the Hawkeyes' defensive coordinator had nothing but positive things to say about his team's recent recruiting hotbed while attending the Nile Kinnick I-Club Spring Fling Wednesday at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs.

Joining Parker at the event were basketball coach Steve Alford, baseball coach Jack Dahm and wrestling coach Tom Brands.

Two of the former Mustangs play on Parker's defense - junior cornerback Adam Shada and freshman cornerback Jeff Tarpinian. The other is sophomore guard Seth Olsen.

"We've always known that Omaha has some good high school talent, and we've tried to tap into that over the years," the seventh-year assistant coach said. "Anytime you can bring a kid in and he knows there's two or three guys he went to high school with on the team already, that's going to be an advantage for you right away."

Parker said Shada should make an immediate impact as one of the Hawkeyes' starting cornerbacks next fall. The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder started three games last season, tying for seventh in the Big Ten with 0.89 pass breakups per game, and also tying for third with 0.33 interceptions per contest.

"I think Shada had a great spring; one of the better springs on the team," Parker said. "We're expecting big things out of him next year."

While Parker hasn't had time to work with Tarpinian, he said the incoming freshman would get plenty of opportunities to showcase his abilities in preseason practice. The 6-3, 205-pounder, who quarterbacked Millard North to the 2005 state championship, possesses the athletic ability Parker looks for in his defensive backfield.

"We're anxious to see what he can do," Parker said. "He's an athlete. We're very high on him."

Though he has had little firsthand work with Olsen, Parker said the 6-5, 301-pound offensive lineman could work his way into the starting lineup this season. Olsen signed with the Hawkeyes after backing out on a commitment to Nebraska when Frank Solich was fired in 2003.

"Obviously I don't coach him, but from what I've seen he has a chance to be a starter this season," Parker said.

As for basketball, Alford said Iowa's top-10 nationally rated recruiting class would play a vital role in his team's success next season. After losing five seniors from last year's NCAA tournament team, Iowa brought in five heralded freshmen to help fill the void.

While veterans such as junior guards Mike Henderson and Adam Haluska return, Alford said Iowa's youth would determine if it continues to make progress in 2007.

"We're like a lot of Big Ten teams in that we lost a lot last season," he said. "We've really done some good things in the league over the past few years, and now we want to take it even further. For that to happen, (the freshmen) are going to have to contribute right away."

I have seen and played against some of the great talent that Millard North has produced over the last few years and it is almost garenteed that MN pumps out at least 3 D-I recruites per year :thumbs . Knowing that the past few years many of their star players have all gone to Iowa. I think that the university of Iowa football program has a mind control machine over coach patito. Every QB that they have had for the last 4 years has gone to Iowa. And their line is normaly very solid since they run an option offense. I would like to see BC get some more players out of there .... the only problem with that is ... they still run the "old style" Nebraska option game and so do alot of the High schools in Nebraska. I know old habits die hard :bang but until the HS coaches in NE start moving to more a WC offense it is going to be harder for us to get in state recruites on offense.

GBR :restore2

P.S. Before I get bashed for what I said ... that does not mean that NE does not push out good WC football players ... i.e. Nate Swift, Niles Paul, etc...

I have seen and played against some of the great talent that Millard North has produced over the last few years and it is almost garenteed that MN pumps out at least 3 D-I recruites per year :thumbs . Knowing that the past few years many of their star players have all gone to Iowa. I think that the university of Iowa football program has a mind control machine over coach patito. Every QB that they have had for the last 4 years has gone to Iowa. And their line is normaly very solid since they run an option offense. I would like to see BC get some more players out of there .... the only problem with that is ... they still run the "old style" Nebraska option game and so do alot of the High schools in Nebraska. I know old habits die hard :bang but until the HS coaches in NE start moving to more a WC offense it is going to be harder for us to get in state recruites on offense.

P.S. Before I get bashed for what I said ... that does not mean that NE does not push out good WC football players ... i.e. Nate Swift, Niles Paul, etc...

There's no use bringing kid's in that don't fit the system. Until they adapt to Callahan's offense I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they do adapt and are still leaving the state then there's a problem.

Every QB that they have had for the last 4 years has gone to Iowa. And their line is normaly very solid since they run an option offense.

P.S. Before I get bashed for what I said ... that does not mean that NE does not push out good WC football players ... i.e. Nate Swift, Niles Paul, etc...[/color]

I agree with getting the right players for the program. Just imagine if Alan Everidge would have come here. He would probably be playing defense right now since he can't throw worth a lick.

Every QB that they have had for the last 4 years has gone to Iowa. And their line is normaly very solid since they run an option offense.

P.S. Before I get bashed for what I said ... that does not mean that NE does not push out good WC football players ... i.e. Nate Swift, Niles Paul, etc...[/color]

I agree with getting the right players for the program. Just imagine if Alan Everidge would have come here. He would probably be playing defense right now since he can't throw worth a lick.

:rollin

Fruitman won't throw much either, being accustomed to the vertical position on the turf immediately after the snap.

"Daddy, they're hittin me! What do I do?"

Loser.