How do you define masculinity?

In actual complete seriousness, I feel strongly that the struggles are self-inflicted. The mistake here is to consider these things as our essence -- belonging  to the domain of men, rather than in the domain of humanity.

The detox, as we can see here, is a difficult process, because those who've bought into it most seriously can be positively frightened at the mere suggestion, and lash out at, e.g., spandex-wearing metrosexuals (for the record, I don't know of any who actually wear spandex -- not that it's a bad thing!) in response. But it's worth getting to a point where we can just realize that hey, you can think what you want but maybe don't put so much stock into it, like these definitions are the core of your being and your world. It's just not that big a deal, man, or acorn tree, or whatever you'd like to be called. We are all people, and we can celebrate both ourselves and each other without thinking of so many ways to tear us down.

11 minutes ago, zoogs said:

In actual complete seriousness, I feel strongly that the struggles are self-inflicted. The mistake here is to consider these things as our essence -- belonging  to the domain of men, rather than in the domain of humanity.

The detox, as we can see here, is a difficult process, because those who've bought into it most seriously can be positively frightened at the mere suggestion, and lash out at, e.g., spandex-wearing metrosexuals (for the record, I don't know of any who actually wear spandex -- not that it's a bad thing!) in response. But it's worth getting to a point where we can just realize that hey, you can think what you want but maybe don't put so much stock into it, like these definitions are the core of your being and your world. It's just not that big a deal, man, or acorn tree, or whatever you'd like to be called. We are all people, and we can celebrate both ourselves and each other without thinking of so many ways to tear us down.

That works right up to the point that the self-identifying acorn trees start demanding their own pronouns and special restrooms. You know...to drop acorns. :-)

Transgender people are probably the ones hurt the most by our intense focus on gender and the ways we assign virtues to one or the other. It's lovely that this is all a big joke to you, and I was going to criticize this, but then I recalled to mind the words of the indomitable Dr. King: "Let us all be blind to race, but not to gender, because how f'ing loony are those trans weirdos, amirite?"

• Plus1 1