Seniors and Scholarship numbers

I heard on the radio while driving home, (from a very cold deer stand) that we have 19 seniors being honored this Saturday.  Good for them!

How many of the 19 are on scholarship?

How many people left the team after the 85 man scholarship roster was "certified" back in August? I remember a QB,RB, and WR anymore?

A school can only have 25 new "counters" each year.  Did we have any left over spots from the class of '18?  ie/ people who signed LOI but failed to qualify or just didn't show.

So, with no further attrition, how many spots do we have available for the class of '19?  I think I remember Frost saying something like we could sign 30 and still be under the 85 limit.

I could try to figure these out for myself but I don't really know where to start and I figure there are a few roster guru's on here that just know the answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

• Plus1 1

By my count there are 16 scholarship seniors plus five guys who left after the roster was “certified” and three scholarships that are unused (though they may have been awarded to walk-one and I just missed them).

Thus, we have 24 open spots for this recruiting class.  I’ve seen several reports that we will take 30 new guys though a couple may be grad transfers.   We’d have to have further attrition to go over 24 but there are always a couple who leave and probably a few extra this year as guys wee where they stand with the new coaches.  I don’t think six more leaving is at all far-fetched.

We’ll have plenty of room to go over the allowed 25 by back-counting early enrollees.

I always cringe when someone leaves the program and then a poster practically exalts that we have another scholarship available.  Its not that easy, we have now missed out on a couple of years of development and the new guy, if we can get one is starting from scratch.  Think about #21.  If he had left last spring what are the chances that a new guy would be playing at the level he is now.  Granted it took about four or five games for him to wakeup but, personally, I'd like to keep them all and develop them.

I know that Mazour  and Weinmaster were awarded scholarships this year but they would not count against the 25 initial counters because they have been in school for at least two years.  So our biggest roadblock is convincing enough guys to enroll early so they can be included in the '18 class and then get 25 solid recruits to show up in the fall.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

I always cringe when someone leaves the program and then a poster practically exalts that we have another scholarship available.  Its not that easy, we have now missed out on a couple of years of development and the new guy, if we can get one is starting from scratch.  Think about #21.  If he had left last spring what are the chances that a new guy would be playing at the level he is now.  Granted it took about four or five games for him to wakeup but, personally, I'd like to keep them all and develop them.

I think about players leaving a little differently.  Had Lamar left in the spring he probably didn’t fit in the program and would never develop into a good player. Lamar didn’t quit even after getting benched and is developing into a good player. Same deal with Lightbourne. If he leaves then he either knows that he doesn’t have what it takes or he isn’t willing to work to get better. As the coaches have said, it’s not important to distinguish between can’t and won’t, the player won’t be playing. If he leaves then another scholarship player can be brought in. Maybe the next player works out or he doesn’t but at least you no longer have 1 player that definitely wasn’t going to work out.