just seen on espn.com

Updated: Aug. 6, 2006, 9:52 PM ET

Beck's whereabouts unknown; Bowman out for yearAssociated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska backup quarterback Harrison Beck was a no-show at practice for the second straight day Sunday, and the Cornhuskers suffered a blow on the injury front with the news that starting cornerback Zackary Bowman is out for the season with a knee injury.

"We felt at the time that it happened that it was just a sprained knee. We were disappointed to hear that it could possibly be a ligament, but then, of course, the MRI this morning proved that it was positive and that he will be out for the season."

-- Nebraska coach Bill Callahan on Zackary Bowman's injury

Coach Bill Callahan said after Sunday's practice in half pads that he had not spoken with Beck since before the sophomore from Clearwater, Fla., skipped Saturday afternoon's workout. Beck's whereabouts weren't known, but his parents said he has contacted them to tell them he's safe.

Bowman, who started the last five games in 2005, tore his anterior cruciate ligament Saturday during a one-on-one drill. Callahan said Bowman came down on his leg wrong while defending a corner route. He had a magnetic resonance imaging test Sunday.

"We felt at the time that it happened that it was just a sprained knee," Callahan said. "We were disappointed to hear that it could possibly be a ligament, but then, of course, the MRI this morning proved that it was positive and that he will be out for the season."

Bowman, a senior from Anchorage, Alaska, transferred from New Mexico Military Institute last year. He made 27 tackles and a team-leading 14 pass breakups and was second on the team with two interceptions.

"Just visiting with him he feels that he's going to come back for another year, which is tremendous," Callahan said. "He does have a redshirt, so that's great."

Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said he would call on junior-college transfer Andre Jones to step in for Bowman.

Cosgrove said he already has confidence in Jones' abilities in the little he's seen from him through four practices.

"He gets better every day," Cosgrove said. "He's a tremendous athlete, and I'm just anxious to watch him progress as camp goes on."

On the Beck front, Callahan said he spoke with Beck's stepfather, Dave Bothwell, but nothing was resolved.

Beck's mother, Evelyn Beck-Bothwell, told Nebraska media outlets that her son was disappointed with the amount of practice repetitions he received the first two days of preseason camp.

Callahan declined to comment on Beck-Bothwell's comments and said his conversation with the stepfather would remain private.

"Other than that, Harrison is OK from what I understand, and I'm anxious to see him return, if he comes back," Callahan said. "I'd like to visit with him a little bit, and I look forward to that. I'm hopeful that he makes a decision to come back."

Callahan declined to comment on what Beck's status would be with the team if he were to return.

"We look at everything on a case-by-case basis," Callahan said. "That's up to Harrison. It's Harrison's choice and decision and his desire in terms of what he wants to do with his career."

Also SeeMother of missing Nebraska QB Beck says he's 'safe'

The mother of Nebraska backup ...

Adjust Font Size:

Looks like it really is true!!

Willis