Joe Dailey at different position

Guest Ohio Husker

Guest Ohio Husker

With all the passing QB's coming into camp, what are the chances that Dailey can compete or would he be more dangerous as a receiver or maybe running back ?

Hmmmm...I may be way off base here (what, me? nah...) but I think Dailey might be the best choice at the moment. What little he played, he impressed me. Seemed to me that his arm was more than adequate to make the necessary throws (especially since I suspect that, given weather conditions this version of the West Coast offense will be more short-yardage passes than others). Given spring ball and fall camp, I think he'll adjust as well as the new ones just hitting the college scene - despite not having the background.

But here's what I think will make Dailey the best choice, at least for this year and perhaps next - escapability. I fear the O-line - despite its talents or athleticism - is goine to be less than stellar. This stems from having to learn to pass block to an extent never seen in Nebraska before. Learning this - and unlearning the run-first attitude - will take time, and a QB like Joe can turn some potential sacks to gains.

Now, there are two situations in which I think Dailey may not win the job. First, if one of the "new guys" is a whiz at reading defenses, and can get the ball out of the pocket damn quickly. If that happens, then "escapability" looses some of its appeal.

Second is if the coaching staff is willing to sacrifice this year to prepare for the years to come. In that case, it makes sense to put in the guy that has the most potential to run the offense as the coaches hope it can be run in a couple of years.

But given that a nine-win season isn't a guarantee of retaining a job, I don't see the coaches having anything but the attitude of doing what they can to win now.

But here's what I think will make Dailey the best choice, at least for this year and perhaps next - escapability. I fear the O-line - despite its talents or athleticism - is goine to be less than stellar. This stems from having to learn to pass block to an extent never seen in Nebraska before. Learning this - and unlearning the run-first attitude - will take time, and a QB like Joe can turn some potential sacks to gains.

I would agree. I think our line is probably only a couple injuries away from being putrid.