Stricter recruiting rules

Good article on the new rules for recruiting violations and accountability(thanks Colorado and Miami).

I'm posting this because Nebraska has certainly used some of the tactics that the NCAA now has prohibited. Nebraska did nothing wrong, but in some ways must follow some of these rules now.

The one I know that comes to mind is putting players names on there jerseys and putting there names and showing them personal aids on Husker Vision. This starting now is a no-no. Read the article, hopefully I pasted it correctly. It's interesting.

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/sports/c...505570684761101

Normally, my attitude would be, "So long as everyone has to follow the same rules..." The trouble is, I think this hurts Nebraska more than just about any other power school. Unlike other schools, Nebraska lacks, er, natural attractions that other schools have - beaches, warm weather, large urban areas, nightlife. That means Nebraska has to find other things to offer the "normal" recruit.

I like the idea of no longer treating a bunch of kids as if they were rock stars or movie stars - I think that will help everyone in the long term, as kids may be weaned a little bit from their feeling of entitlement; the "I deserve the best treatment" attitude. But it cuts down severely on ways for Nebraska to differentiate itself from its rivials. For that reason, I dislike the changes.

The board also approved a provision that prohibits schools from using personal recruiting aids such as names on the backs of jerseys and scoreboard presentations during campus visits.

I'm sorry but this is just stupid. Tell me exactly what this will prevent in the way of bad recruiting, which after all, is what the new rules try to curb? Names on the back of jerseys? Do they think that no high school teams do this? It's laughable that they seem to think that prospects come to visits and are shown a jersey with their name on it and think "gee, that's pretty impressive. I never seen nothin like that before sir." Gimme a break.

Sure, I could see if colleges had a prospect walk into the stadium only to find an image of him up on the husker vision screen along with beautiful naked women. Then, yes, I agree whole heartedly.:) But c'mon, we don't all take recruiting tips from Barnett.

The more they water everything down, the greater chance if given that these guys will go straight to the pros. This will hurt Nebraska a little more as Ark Husker says, but NU can be pretty creative and they'll find another way until they make a rule against that.