Punting

gamecocks

I think that too much is made out of that statement. If its not working, then maybe its time to try kicking the ball into the endzone. From the game I watched (L Tech) by using this "strategy"  Tech routinely got the ball between the 25-35 yard line, much like Michigan did last year, so the covergae teams aren't that great either. So if they aren't stopping them inside the 20, and aren't causing any turnovers, how is this "strategy" working?? On top of that, by attempting to cover every kick, they are putting their players at risk of injury, something that could devastate an already depleted secondary.
You're right, coverage hasn't been great so maybe we should just try to kick it out of the endzone, which is a bit harder for everyone now that the tee is an inch shorter.

As far as injury; It's football. People get hurt. If you are playing not to get injured, you are on the sidelines. AFAIK Andre Jones and Grixby are not on kick off or punt return teams. Green, Wilson, Nunn, and Swift have been the ones handling that duty so far.

You can continue to buy this "philosophy" of giving the opponent the ball at the 30 consistently if you want, but the simple fact is that Congdon does not have the leg strength to get the ball into the endzone unless he has a 30 mph wind at his back.

You're exaggerating a bit here, but overall you are right. Doesn't mean that with the right coverage and the kick it will work. It worked plently last year. We did play 11 games before we played Michigan.

Really, I don't care. I see the value in both ways of handling it. If you like to seethe, you will probably hate whatever the coaches are doing anyway.

42 yard average off of 4 punts is nothing great.

For your reading pleasure. Please let anyone know if you have trouble understanding the stats below, pulled from huskers.com

2005 AVERAGE PER PUNT: 45.9 yds

2005 NET PUNT AVERAGE: 39.8 yds

Yea, we should probably just cut him.