Good KU ballplayer

Webb’s early reviews are good

Freshman cornerback shows promise during his first start and even impresses Talib.

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

Webb

LAWRENCE | You could listen to the typical coach-speak from Kansas coach Mark Mangino — or you could let Jayhawks cornerback Aqib Talib offer his critique of Anthony Webb’s performance in last week’s victory over South Florida.

“Anthony came out and played a helluva game,” Talib said. “He almost looked as good as me out there.”

Well, maybe not that good.

Still, although Webb may not be ready for the kind of postseason honors that are sure to be bestowed upon Talib, the freshman cornerback certainly showed promise in his first start since leap-frogging Blake Bueltel on the depth chart.

A Dallas native, Webb made five tackles and broke up a pass in KU’s 13-7 victory over the Bulls. He’s hoping to improve on those numbers when the Jayhawks face Nebraska at 6 Saturday in Lincoln.

“I wouldn’t say I’m surprised,” Webb said Tuesday. “I came in here expecting to play early. But starting … yeah, I figured that would be pushing it.”

Indeed, Webb is one of just four true freshmen to see action for the Jayhawks this season — and he’s the only one to get a start. Granted, if anyone seemed destined for such an opportunity, it was Webb, who was hailed as the gem of KU’s recruiting class when he signed last February.

By that time, the eligibility of 2005 starter Theo Baines had expired, and part-time cornerback Charles Gordon had decided to leave for the NFL. Webb arrived in Lawrence during the summer intent on proving himself worthy of early playing time.

Earning time on the field, he said, wasn’t exactly easy.

“This isn’t high school anymore,” said Webb, who graduated in May from South Oak Cliff in Dallas. “You can’t just go through the motions. You have to practice hard every single day. You can’t ever let up.”

The 6-foot, 175-pound Webb admitted that was a problem during his first few weeks of practice. He said he often lost concentration and focus.

Webb hardly saw the field during a season-opening victory against Northwestern State. But after KU was burned for 377 aerial yards against Louisiana-Monroe the following week, the Jayhawks knew they had to make a change at cornerback.

Turned out Webb was the next in line. “He’s a confident guy for a freshman,” Mangino said. “He’s got a little bounce to him. For him it’s all about understanding the reads, the coverages that are called and what his responsibilities are in those coverages. He’s really coming along.”

Not that everything went smoothly in Webb’s starting debut. On the first play of the game, Webb was burned for a 29-yard pass completion.

“When he came to the sideline, he didn’t seem fazed one bit,” KU cornerbacks coach Earnest Collins said. “I kept saying, ‘Are you OK?’ and he just said, ‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ He’s got a great attitude for this position. He never loses his composure.”

With opponents trying to avoid Talib — a preseason All-Big 12 selection — on the other side of the field, Webb figures he’ll be picked on quite a bit.

“You rarely come across a good quarterback in high school,” Webb said. “In college every quarterback is good. I’m sure they’ll try to test me. Their coaches are probably telling them: ‘He’s just a freshman. Go after him.’

“Hopefully I can make them pay.”

Sounds like a good guy. Too bad after this weekend he'll have a big gaping hole in his torso where a Zac Taylor pass burned right through.

Lmao, I'm storing that one in my memory banks

He will be a good player for my Jayhawks. 4 star recruit coming out of Texas. I was really happy to get him. He is a sneaky guy, with great foot work for a freshman. He deserves to start. Taylor will test him on Saturday. I just hope the rookie doesn't get to intimidated by the crowd. That stadium is one of the loudest I've been in. But, hey, I watch KU play ball. Our stadium doesn't necessarily rock! Well, it did last year against Missouri and Nebraska. But that's about it.

I think that it is hilarious that this KU clown is in here running his mouth. I go to KU and have never met anyone who even cares about football, they just say "who cares about football, we will show you up in Basketball". Yes KU beat us once in 36 years, you all do deserve a trophy for that but seriously, I go to KU and if people around there started acting like this guy i would have to transfer cause it would be too much like being at K-State. Dealing with fans that come out of the woodwork only after a big win is the most annoying thing ever, The only thing i can say about KU Football is that, well you guys were good about 13 years ago. We win demand championships, you all demand a 6 win seasons. Keep living that win up buddy cause it will be another 30 years before it happens again! GBR NU-42 KU-17?MAYBE

I've even seen a guy up here wearing a Kansas basketball jersey and shorts every now and then. That's still 1 more Kansas fan I've seen up here than a Husker fan (excluding myself). Whenever I wear my "Tom May be the future Govenor of Nebraska" shirt, I get tired of explaining of who Tom is.

It's good to see someone on here from KU that doesn't go shooting their mouth off. :)

NU 31 KSU 10

My first ever Husker game was on the road at Lawrence in 1992. A cold November day we barely escaped 21-20. For some reason the campus reminded me of UNO. The fans were fine even with the chance of an upset.

Next week is when we'll see some bad fans. I'd rank them right up there with Colorado.

One week at a time and this week the defense rules! :bonez

I think that it is hilarious that this KU clown is in here running his mouth. I go to KU and have never met anyone who even cares about football, they just say "who cares about football, we will show you up in Basketball". Yes KU beat us once in 36 years, you all do deserve a trophy for that but seriously, I go to KU and if people around there started acting like this guy i would have to transfer cause it would be too much like being at K-State. Dealing with fans that come out of the woodwork only after a big win is the most annoying thing ever, The only thing i can say about KU Football is that, well you guys were good about 13 years ago. We win demand championships, you all demand a 6 win seasons. Keep living that win up buddy cause it will be another 30 years before it happens again! GBR NU-42 KU-17?MAYBE

So you go to KU huh? Are you saying I can't support my football team now? I've been going to KU games since I was 6 years old. Back in the late 80's. Sorry I like more than just KU basketball. That's the problem with alot of students at KU. They only care about basketball. That trend is finally starting to change, and it has to for a program like KU to keep up with the Texas's and OU's in the Big 12.

Sorry, I'm not a bandwagon loser like the majority of KSU fans who jumped on board the Snyder express, but still likes KU in basketball. That is just lame. I will continue to cheer for KU football proudly. Yes. We are playing for a 8 win season. But I remember just 5 years ago wanting to score a touchdown in just a game! We were that bad!!!! What Mangino has done is upgraded our talent and instilled a will to win in our program that we haven't had since the Mason era. Terry Allen completely destroyed our football program. Mangino has been picking up the pieces ever since.

So I never just came out of the woodwork or whatever your trying to prove. And yes, I'm going to run my mouth a little. It's not every year that KU beats NU in football. I deserve that right. But you can't bash KU football from where it was 5 years ago to where it is today. It is truly a night and day difference.

Maybe you should consider enrolling at Nebraska. Your probably one of those guys on campus that is a die hard KU basketball fan, but loves Nebraska football.

So you go to KU huh? Are you saying I can't support my football team now? I've been going to KU games since I was 6 years old. Back in the late 80's. Sorry I like more than just KU basketball. That's the problem with alot of students at KU. They only care about basketball. That trend is finally starting to change, and it has to for a program like KU to keep up with the Texas's and OU's in the Big 12.

Sorry, I'm not a bandwagon loser like the majority of KSU fans who jumped on board the Snyder express, but still likes KU in basketball. That is just lame. I will continue to cheer for KU football proudly. Yes. We are playing for a 8 win season. But I remember just 5 years ago wanting to score a touchdown in just a game! We were that bad!!!! What Mangino has done is upgraded our talent and instilled a will to win in our program that we haven't had since the Mason era. Terry Allen completely destroyed our football program. Mangino has been picking up the pieces ever since.

So I never just came out of the woodwork or whatever your trying to prove. And yes, I'm going to run my mouth a little. It's not every year that KU beats NU in football. I deserve that right. But you can't bash KU football from where it was 5 years ago to where it is today. It is truly a night and day difference.

Maybe you should consider enrolling at Nebraska. Your probably one of those guys on campus that is a die hard KU basketball fan, but loves Nebraska football.

Your points are valid, but quick question, what other time in your LIFETIME did KU beat Nebraska? Im glad you got to see that 1 time. And I cheer for KU Basketball but never would argue with anyone in their defense, the football team has a better chance of winning a big game than they do! Thats a joke but my allegiance is to Nebraska Football and thats it, the rest is just something to pass the time till football season starts again. I go to KU so i go to the football and basketball games occasionally. There are a lot of people that flip flop like you say and I laugh at those people and it sounds like you do as well (KSU being the majority of the crowd). Im TRUE NU and your TRUE KU, from your knowledge it sounds like you are, but what it comes down to is that A SEA OF RED will be your best player any day. Going in to Lincoln and winning is not an easy task and with the young players KU has, its flat out going to be a long day for them.

Your points are valid, but quick question, what other time in your LIFETIME did KU beat Nebraska? Im glad you got to see that 1 time. And I cheer for KU Basketball but never would argue with anyone in their defense, the football team has a better chance of winning a big game than they do! Thats a joke but my allegiance is to Nebraska Football and thats it, the rest is just something to pass the time till football season starts again. I go to KU so i go to the football and basketball games occasionally. There are a lot of people that flip flop like you say and I laugh at those people and it sounds like you do as well (KSU being the majority of the crowd). Im TRUE NU and your TRUE KU, from your knowledge it sounds like you are, but what it comes down to is that A SEA OF RED will be your best player any day. Going in to Lincoln and winning is not an easy task and with the young players KU has, its flat out going to be a long day for them.

The answer to your question is no. I was born in 80. I'm not debating that. But we won last year, and have improved against NU each year since Mangino arrived....so I think I have the right to be optimistic as well. If you read my post you will see I say KU can win and has a chance. All I want people to do on this forum is give KU some respect. Saying the score will be 42-7 is not showing respect, and is not going to happen. Husker nation needs to wake up and realize they are not getting the recruits they got in the 90's. That is all i'm saying.

You are right, the sea of red will make it hard. But the games are not played by vegas or on paper. Anything can happen. Just last night BYU beat TCU (a 19 point favorite) at their stadium. Anything can happen.

The answer to your question is no. I was born in 80. I'm not debating that. But we won last year, and have improved against NU each year since Mangino arrived....so I think I have the right to be optimistic as well. If you read my post you will see I say KU can win and has a chance. All I want people to do on this forum is give KU some respect. Saying the score will be 42-7 is not showing respect, and is not going to happen. Husker nation needs to wake up and realize they are not getting the recruits they got in the 90's. That is all i'm saying.

You are right, the sea of red will make it hard. But the games are not played by vegas or on paper. Anything can happen. Just last night BYU beat TCU (a 19 point favorite) at their stadium. Anything can happen.

That is a true story but a crowd full of purple is only intimidating if you are homophobic (ie K-State, TCU, NWestern, ......) anyhow i will agree KU is becoming a better team as the years go but Nebraskas recruits are always going to be better than the Jayhawks recruits, If you were a recruit and you had a chance to start at both schools you know you would be heading straight to Lincoln (better fan base, better history, better chance at the pros, etc etc etc) Good Luck on Saturday, put your money on Nebraska to cover

That is a true story but a crowd full of purple is only intimidating if you are homophobic (ie K-State, TCU, NWestern, ......) anyhow i will agree KU is becoming a better team as the years go but Nebraskas recruits are always going to be better than the Jayhawks recruits, If you were a recruit and you had a chance to start at both schools you know you would be heading straight to Lincoln (better fan base, better history, better chance at the pros, etc etc etc) Good Luck on Saturday, put your money on Nebraska to cover

The Huskers will cover 23 points huh? I can't wait to see this!! (Heavy On the Sarcasm)