Nebraska VS Texas Preview

mhamden

Both Texas and Nebraska are undefeated in conference play and may face each other in the Big 12 conference tournament in early December. They won't have to wait until then to meet.

In a matchup of the conference's most potent offense versus the stingiest defense, No. 5 Texas travels to meet 17th-ranked Nebraska on Saturday.

Texas (6-1, 3-0) is averaging 42.7 points per game and leads the South Division by one game over 23rd-ranked Texas A&M. Nebraska (6-1, 3-0), meanwhile, has allowed just 13.4 points per contest and has a one-game lead over No. 24 Missouri in the North.

Texas leads the series 5-1 since the creation of the Big 12 in 1996, but hasn't played Nebraska since Cedric Benson scored three times in 31-7 win in 2003. The Longhorns won the 1996 Big 12 Championship over Nebraska 37-27, but the Cornhuskers avenged that loss with a 22-6 win in the conference title game three years later.

"The Big 12 Championship more than anything (is our goal)," Texas wide receiver Quan Cosby said. "They're a very good team -- nationally ranked. So more than anything, our goal is to be the top school in the Big 12, and that's on the line."

Nebraska running back Cody Glenn said this game could go a long way toward knowing what his team would face if it were to play Texas for the conference championship on Dec. 2.

"Of course we want to be in Kansas City and Arrowhead Stadium playing for the Big 12 Championship and this is a team that we're probably going to see down there," he said. "If we can beat them this time, we know what we need to do to beat them and we can beat them again."

For Nebraska to win, it will need to stop Texas freshman quarterback Colt McCoy, who threw for a school-record six touchdown passes in Texas' 63-31 victory over Baylor last Saturday.

"The receivers made some great plays, great catches, so I give all the credit to them," said McCoy, who also passed for a career-high 275 yards and needs one more touchdown pass to break Major Applewhite's freshman record. Applewhite threw 18 TDs in 1998 for the Longhorns.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said he's impressed with McCoy.

"Good quarterback in so many ways," Callahan said. "He manages their offense extremely well. It seems like he really understands the whole concept of what they're trying to get achieved.

"I don't see this guy getting rattled, hes a pretty cool customer."

McCoy has thrown for 1,229 yards this season, completing 68.7 percent of his passes while recording only three interceptions.

Texas coach Mack Brown, though, said there is a huge difference between facing Baylor and Nebraska.

"Nebraska is really balanced," Brown said. "When you play Nebraska right now, you have to go back to the old days and stop the run. If you don't stop the run, (Callahan) will keep running it."

The Longhorns held Baylor to just 27 rushing yards and leads the conference in rush defense, allowing only 47.7 yards a game. Nebraska's running game, though, ranks first in the conference and 11th nationally at 207.7 yards per contest.

But the Huskers don't have a featured back -- Marlon Lucky and Glenn each have scored six rushing touchdowns and Brandon Jackson and Kenny Wilson have reached the end zone three times. All four players have rushed for more than 320 yards with Lucky's 490 yards leading the way.

"We just have to get the best production out of our group that we possibly can, but we can be better" Callahan said. "I know our group can be better. If it takes one back, two, three, four -- whatever it takes to help us win the game, were going to go with that."

In a 21-3 win over Kansas State last week, the Huskers outgained the Wildcats 190-22 on the ground en route to the 800th win in school history.

"Anytime you're having success it speaks to execution, which is a matter of focus and the attention to detail," Callahan said. "That's the biggest thing I see. I see detailed work being done in all phases of our game. For a coach that's satisfying."

Saturday's matchup marks just the third time that two schools with 800 wins meet. The Longhorns reached that milestone with a 41-38 win over USC in last season's Rose Bowl to earn the national championship.

Nebraska has already played one Top 5 opponent this season, losing to then-No. 4 USC 28-10 on Sept. 17.

From sports.yahoo.com

Makes me remember how Applewhite got screwed over at Texas

Applewhite is probably my favorite non-Husker football player of all-time. Yeah, he got screwed. He was a better leader IMO than Simms. Shows you that skills and athleticism don't always trump football savvy and leadership. Anytime Applewhite played, I wanted him to do well.

McCoy has thrown for 1,229 yards this season, completing 68.7 percent of his passes while recording only three interceptions.

I am worried about Texas throwing on us - especially to Sweed. There's a huge mismatch there against our small DBs. I wonder if Cosgrove has gradually been preparing the team for the game by employing the nickel and dime packages more often with Thenarse and giving more playing time to Culbert.

Makes me remember how Applewhite got screwed over at Texas

Applewhite is probably my favorite non-Husker football player of all-time. Yeah, he got screwed. He was a better leader IMO than Simms. Shows you that skills and athleticism don't always trump football savvy and leadership. Anytime Applewhite played, I wanted him to do well.

I am worried about Texas throwing on us - especially to Sweed. There's a huge mismatch there against our small DBs. I wonder if Cosgrove has gradually been preparing the team for the game by employing the nickel and dime packages more often with Thenarse and giving more playing time to Culbert.

Yes limas has been colts favorite target as of late. If I were you guys I would be on the lookout for 16 Jermichael Finley our tight end. He just went up and snatched the ball away from a defender twice this year. He is for real. Also watch out for jordan shipley.

Yes limas has been colts favorite target as of late. If I were you guys I would be on the lookout for 16 Jermichael Finley our tight end. He just went up and snatched the ball away from a defender twice this year. He is for real. Also watch out for jordan shipley.

Yeah, there's a lot of weapons there. Colt has some good numbers going into the game. I think that he will be hard to rattle unless Huskers can plant him on his back early and often.

Of course, Taylor has some weapons as well. I've heard about Finley, but haven't seen enough Texas football this year to see what a threat he can impose. Hope that I don't hear his name too often, though. ;)