Why do we slow the game?

I liked the changes in th O line and getting the freshman in the D backfield. We need more of this as we need to get ready for next year.

But whats up with the way we play after getting a lead? In my opinion we need to go full bore with a lead and just not let up! It was eveident again against MO at least in my opinion!

We are much father away from a National Championship then some would like to believe! In my opinion Callahan will be goine when we get the next one! I hope not but that would be an educated guess. new QB next year who has never played in the system (if he makes it to playing time and is not drunk). Keller is like a certain QB of the 70's who tahnkfully is now sober! Keller is a concern from what I hear I hope he has put past behind him but not sure thats the case.

I liked the changes in th O line and getting the freshman in the D backfield. We need more of this as we need to get ready for next year.

But whats up with the way we play after getting a lead? In my opinion we need to go full bore with a lead and just not let up! It was eveident again against MO at least in my opinion!

We are much father away from a National Championship then some would like to believe! In my opinion Callahan will be goine when we get the next one! I hope not but that would be an educated guess. new QB next year who has never played in the system (if he makes it to playing time and is not drunk). Keller is like a certain QB of the 70's who tahnkfully is now sober! Keller is a concern from what I hear I hope he has put past behind him but not sure thats the case.

I think it has something to do with defenses adjusting. We have had turnovers that hurt too.

I think it has something to do with defenses adjusting. We have had turnovers that hurt too.

:yeah

There are always 11 guys with different colored jerseys trying to win. and their coaches are trying to figure out somehting that works. It IS a chess match! The seeming slowdown is the result of our offensive scheme being figured out. Hence, the Huskers need to adjust to the adjustments. You always take what a defense will give you. Perhaps the BC staff needs to do a better job of in-game analysis to find out what the defense will allow.

In any event-------> :bonez

When will Callaqhan learn to go for the jugler?

Mimes and juglers are usually the subject of ridicule, but why should Callahan be going after them? :lol:

Seriously, though. I thought going for it on 4th and 1 and throwing that pass was making the attempt to step on their throat. After that, the momentum kind of turned and it felt like we were just trying to hang on. Definitely a concern. I think the defenses adjust a little and the play calling tightens a bit.

When will Callaqhan learn to go for the jugler?

Mimes and juglers are usually the subject of ridicule, but why should Callahan be going after them? :lol:

Seriously, though. I thought going for it on 4th and 1 and throwing that pass was making the attempt to step on their throat. After that, the momentum kind of turned and it felt like we were just trying to hang on. Definitely a concern. I think the defenses adjust a little and the play calling tightens a bit.

What he said.

I agree, NU this season of getting ahead and playing conservative. Cally and company need to go full boar 110%. I.E. Kansas, OSU.

I think Coach Callahan is trying to keep our defense off of the field. Right now due to injuries our offense is much better than our defense. The longer our defense is on the field the more chances our opponents have to come back and score on us. So Callahan is running up a lead, then slowing down the game by playing to our running game. With four running backs we can run the ball all game and not tire out. For the most part it works. Our numbers on the ground have doubled since last season. And one of the reasons Jackson has now emerged as a great running back is because of the extra work our offensive line is getting run blocking. They are getting better as a unit.

I think there may be times when Coach Callahan is willing to change up the game plan and outright get in a shooting match with an opponent. But as long as our defense is banged up the way it is he is going to try and cut them some slack and try and keep them off the field a bit. But emphasizing the running game is a win win situation for us. The Big 12 has some great run defenses. If we can establish a solid running game in our own conference we can run the ball against almost anyone. And that opens up our passing game. I know we can all look back at our losses this season and critique our offensive schemes but given the info Callahan has going into these games I think he is doing very well all considered.

We are making progress. Last season we only won eight games. This year we may win 10 or 11, the Northern Division title is ours for the taking, and we might just win the conference and go to a BCS Bowl game. Earlier this season we were just a few dropped passes and fumbles away from beating USC and we were one play away from beating Texas. All this with an extremely banged up defense.

I don't see how anyone can criticize Callahan's playcalling in this last game. We had a 21 point lead at the half. When you're up by three touchdowns you don't have to keep the pedal to the floor, and its probably wise not to.

Missouri had ONE possession in the entire third quarter. NU came out and marched down the field only to have a probable touchdown lost due to a dropped pass. It was the perfect play to call on that fourth down, and wasn't conservative at all. Bear in mind that even going for it in that situation was an aggressive move. He tried to throw the knockout punch right there, but the players didn't make the plays.

On the very next drive NU went on a march again and essentially put the game out of reach. Callahan's playcalling was darn near perfect for the entire game and I have no problem with the way he called the second half.

This wasn't a situation where the other team could have tied the game at any moment, this was a situation where the lead was always at a minimum of two touchdowns. Stop criticizing the coaches and enjoy the win.

And really, what's with the criticism of Keller? Until its legitimately shown he has some sort of problem, why bash the kid on a message board with baseless speculation?

I have to agree with Hawkeyehusker. We've played some teams that can/will rack up points in a big hurry (case in point: OSU) Mizzou has that ability at times. Keeping their offense off the field by keeping ours on the field is smart football. Would I like to see more points scored? Sure, but as long as we win who cares. A W is a W whether you win by 5 or 50 points.

I think Saturday's game was one of the best games NU has had in a while. It reminded me of the Colorado game last year where everything just seemed to click and fall in the right place.