Bowls

Just curious as to see what everyone is thinking about what bowl we will end up in this yr...Ideally the BCS would be awesome but that may be a dream i think the Holiday and Alamo are prob our to most likely Bowls we will end up in.....but outside of Michigan and Ohio State i think Nebraska would beat any other team in the Big 11....Thoughts??

Just curious as to see what everyone is thinking about what bowl we will end up in this yr...Ideally the BCS would be awesome but that may be a dream i think the Holiday and Alamo are prob our to most likely Bowls we will end up in.....but outside of Michigan and Ohio State i think Nebraska would beat any other team in the Big 11....Thoughts??

According to Fox Sports, the bowl contracts and matchups indicate the following:

Cotton Bowl

January 1, 2007, Fox

Big 12 No. 2 vs. SEC

Bowl Projection: Oklahoma vs. Arkansas

If the Huskers win the North, are they Big 12 #2, or is that in terms of ranking?

CBS Sportsline suggests this:

Holiday Dec. 28 Pac-10 No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 3 Southern Cal. vs. Nebraska

ESPN suggests this

MasterCard Alamo

(Big Ten No. 4 vs. Big 12 No. 4) Iowa vs. Nebraska Iowa vs. Nebraska

According to Fox Sports, the bowl contracts and matchups indicate the following:

Cotton Bowl

Dallas, TX

Cotton Bowl

January 1, 2007, Fox

Big 12 No. 2 vs. SEC

Bowl Projection: Oklahoma vs. Arkansas

If the Huskers win the North, are they Big 12 #2, or is that in terms of ranking?

Here are other bowl ties with Big 12

Holiday Bowl

San Diego, CA

Qualcomm Stadium

December 28, 2006, ESPN

Pac 10 No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 3

Bowl Projection: USC vs. Missouri

Alamo Bowl

San Antonio, TX

Alamodome

December 30, 2006, ESPN

Big 12 No. 4 vs. Big Ten No. 4 or 5

Bowl Projection: Texas A&M vs. Iowa

Sun Bowl

El Paso, TX

Sun Bowl

December 29, 2006, CBS

Big 12 or Big East vs. Pac 10 No. 3

Bowl Projection: Nebraska vs. Washington State

So NU is the #5 team in the Big 12, BEHIND MISSOURI? Wow.

I believe the rankings go by the final ranking as OU, Tech, and other teams were ahead of Colorado last year. As far as the contracts with bowls go for the conference. The bowls themselves have the choice of who plays in them. They normally stay with the rankings of the conference standings. But in some circumstances they go out of order for a better matchup or to get a different team to their bowl that was there the year before.

I believe the rankings go by the final ranking as OU, Tech, and other teams were ahead of Colorado last year. As far as the contracts with bowls go for the conference. The bowls themselves have the choice of who plays in them. They normally stay with the rankings of the conference standings. But in some circumstances they go out of order for a better matchup or to get a different team to their bowl that was there the year before.

I think that is correct. It goes by the final conference standings. So right now, OU, TX and A&M are ahead of us.

As i understand it, the number references what order the bowls get to pick in. Thus, the Cotton being #2 means they have the second pick of big12 teams after the conference winner (Fiesta), Holiday has the third, etc.

A lot goes into the selection, such as win-losses, rankings, how well the fans travel, potential matchups and so on. However, supposedly an official for the Cotton said they would really like to have a North team this year, although i don't have any link to verify this. True or not, if we win out and lose the ccg then i bet we will be in the Cotton. Having now beaten MU and with the way our fans travel, their is no way i can see us being picked after Mizzou.

I've said this before. The Cotton Bowl stays pretty darn loyal to the old Southwestern Conference teams and to Oklahoma (because they want to keep the Red River shootout there). So, if OU and A&M keep winning we have no chance in going to the Cotton Bowl. The loser of the Conf. Champ. Game always looks less attractive to the bowls. Another reason we should get rid of the damn game altogether. But, that will happen as soon as the national currency changes from dollars to items on the Wendy's 99 cent value menu.

If you look at matchups I would think the Holiday Bowl would love an SC/Nebraska rematch so I wouldn't discount that as a possibility. I think a Nebraska/Arkansas matchup in the Cotton Bowl would also be attractive although not as attractive as an A&M/Arkansas because of the old Southwest Conference tie in since both used to be in that conference. Oklahoma/SC in the Holiday is also very attractive because of the National Championship rematch from a few years ago. The least attractive of those mentioned is Nebraska/Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. I would go because it's in my backyard and I loved going last year but Iowa doesn't do much for me and I don't think they travel that well. I was amazed at how poorly Michican traveled last year compared to Nebraska. There was a whole lot of Red mixed in with the Blue on their side of the stadium last year, and the side I was on was solid Red with no Blue at all mixed in.