Rich Rodriguez to 'Bama

OUCH!

Miami Herald

Saban rejects Alabama's offer of 10 years, $50 million plus $7 million bonus

By ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has declined a lucrative contract from the University of Alabama, which offered him a pay hike and a signing bonus to leave Miami and become the Crimson Tide's head football coach.

The preliminary offer from Alabama athletic director Mal Moore included a $5 million a year salary for 10 years and a signing bonus of $7 million.

After practice, Saban confirmed that Alabama had approached his agent, Jimmy Sexton, who said thanks but no thanks. Saban also said he never interviewed or spoke directly with Alabama officials.

Saban told his players Thursday morning he is not leaving. The coach also told owner Wayne Huizenga on Sunday he was not interested in Alabama.

Saban signed a five-year contract with the Dolphins in January 2005 that averages $4.5 million per year.

sounds like he has is going to be the next coach at alabama. I give him a couple years and he will want out or get fired like everyone else. Alabama is a TOUGH place to be a coach...probably worse than NU. I wish him luk!

As far as pressure, probably the same, but it's the boosters and alumni....there absoutely brutal.

Yeah, Shula could have done more if he wasn't hamstrung by probation which cut 10 scholarships per year for him. I don't know what they expected with what they had. I think Shula did a good job considering the situation. The next coach will reap the rewards from his hard work.

Just another snake in the grass coach that trumped up the situation to get a raise a la Houston Nutt.

Ehhh...Not from what I've read. RROD made it clear when he was hired at WVU he wanted money for improvements and upgrades and WVU was balking at it. It was never really about more money for him. He wanted more money for his assistants, stadium upgrades, football program, etc. He seemed to want to take WVU to the next level. I just think he seen an opportunity to call WVU's bluff and took it. His turning down Bama's job which paid higher to stay at WVU tells me he really wanted to stay otherwise he would have left in an heartbeat.

RROD didnt get that big a raise for himself from WVU, it didnt even match what Bama was offering. But WVU did commit to facilities upgrades. RROD definatly played it well, and really helped our WVU in the end.

Bama....well they shouldnt have fired Shula. They need to get out of the mindset that they are among the elite. They are not an attractive job. NU fans might be demanding, but the majority of us are also realistic and understand what progress looks like that take all the factors into account. Bama fans cant think past Bryant and wont be happy till they can either travel through time to get him back, or raise the dead.