Reason to Watch Div II Championship

AV Red

With college football season coming to end - each game in December is cherished.

For those of you who need a reason to watch - here's one reason to watch the Div II Championship.

Northwest Missouri has over twenty players from Nebraska.

I'm not sure how many are key contributors other than the running back from Beatrice.

Go Bearcats!!

sh#t son, your my hero....

you ruined the awsomeness of me geting to post something myself but o well...

this is where its at hos!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/fri.../Untitled-4.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=no...estwall1zj5.jpg

northwestav1pa0.jpg

back2back in 98/99.... comin back for a 2nd time in 2 years again this year... 4 champ. games, 2 teams.... put D2 nat'l champ. game on the radar....

In 1998 the Bearcats won the NCAA Division II national football championship by going 15-0 -- the first time a Division II school had won 15 games in history and the first time a Northwest school won a team national championship in any sport. In 2006 the Bearcats will play their first nationally televised game from Bearcat Stadium when they play the semifinals which will be broadcast by ESPN. The game will also be marked by the first time that temporary lights (provided by ESPN) will be used at Bearcat Stadium (its lights were removed in 1977).

In 1999 Northwest defeated Carson-Newman College 58-52 in four overtimes to defend the title. The game was the longest in terms of the number of extra periods in NCAA football playoff history, surpassing six contests that were extended by three overtimes. The broadcast analyst on ESPN called it the best college football game he'd ever seen. The game solidified ESPN's interest in Division II football, prompting ESPN coverage to include the semi-final games.

In 2005, the Bearcats were a Cinderella team being ranked 22nd at the start of the playoffs but winning all of their playoff games on the road until reaching the finals with Grand Valley State University. Northwest led the game until the closing minutes and still almost pulled the game out. The Cinderella nature of Northwest coming from 22nd to challenge the #1 team in the final has been evoked as a weakness of the Bowl Championship Series where such a run would be impossible.

During the Tjeersma run through 2006, Northwest has made eight post-season appearances and won six MIAA titles.

In the 2006 regular season, the Bearcats went undefeated 11-0. They then went 3-0 in the playoffs to go in a rematch against Grand Valley State University at the national Championship.

My cuz played as a soph/jr. on the 98/99 team and lost in the playoffs his sr. year.... this is a family school, my aunt and uncle went there as well...

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS, GOOOOOOOOOOO BEARCATS.

*tune to hey song* dun duunnnn dun dun "HEY, GO CATS"

this plays rules, i love it more than kinnick!!!!

NWMSU for 3 time NATL champs!

We got bumped to the less viewed area of the board, much like Division II football.

1986 NWMSU grad. We didn't have too much success during my time there. Played and lost to UNO in the only playoff game during my time there.

I remember the 1998/1999 games - still can't believe that Maryville, MO is home to a Div II football power.

Go 'Cats!!

We got bumped to the less viewed area of the board, much like Division II football.

1986 NWMSU grad. We didn't have too much success during my time there. Played and lost to UNO in the only playoff game during my time there.

I remember the 1998/1999 games - still can't believe that Maryville, MO is home to a Div II football power.

Go 'Cats!!

awsome.... im thinkin my aunt/uncle graduated before then but im not sure when...

for everyone, GO TO ESPN2!!!!

Where its at

My sister graduated from NWMS. I've watched them the past two years and am amazed that they are a powerhouse from Marysville MO.

indeed... you should have seen them in 98/99.... basically the same exact seasons... just w/ the NATL titles to prove it....

first year i think they were 14-1.... won natl title like 24-6 i beleive.

second year they were 15-0(records on the years may be switched its hard for me to remember) and they one that one in 4 overtimes 58-52

and then last year to be ranked in the 20's and play against #1!!!

^exactly why the BcS is BS, a team should have to make it trhough post season and make it to the finals.... had d2 used BCS nwmsu would not have been playin in that game.

I really miss these games.... practically every game in 3 years was legit... and watchin ppl storm the field and tear down the uprights when we knew we were goin...... and then just travelin to Alabama 2 years in a row and watchin.

one of my fondest memories of football is this.... one of the years we sat next to a guy w/ an airhorn, givin i was only 8/9 years, the guy was nice and let us use his airhorn and was very friendly... he showed us to aim it right at the Carson-Newmans QB's airhole and blow it right about the time he was gonna snap it haha :lol: .... now that i think back... the ppl around us had to have been getting annoyed... or maybe they were to busy cheerin to notice.

that and just it bein so rainy and cold that second year.... and when they finally won, stormin the field.... im gonna take a pic of all my NWMSU stuff... and then i'll take a pic somtime of this poster made of newspaper clippings/pics of my cuz and show yall

o yea... i made this back in the summer.... its my cuz...

the concept behind it is that he grew up a chiefs fan..so playin NFL for the chiefs would be a dream...

so it goes from reality...to dreams(supposed to be a comic book effect).... to fantasy/reality.... a jersey transfer of him into a chiefs uni ( i didnt do the jersey switch)

wessig.gif