Geek gallery REPRESENT!!

Im hoping some of the more tech inclined members can point me in the right direction.

I have quite a bit of stuff spread across multiple PCs, which would seriously suck to lose -- so I want to get some type of external/shared storage to not only back-up my shat, but also sync the PCs up so if I'm on PC 1 downstairs I still have access to something I saved on the shared drive when using PC 2.

Anyone have something similar that works well? And no this isnt *only* for backing up pron. seriously u guys, this is a serious matter. :corndance

Well, first of all - are all the comptuers networked? If so, then why not a simple batch script that runs early each morning, such as at 2:30 a.m.? You could designate a single machine as the "central" server, then have all the others run the script using Task Scheduler. The central server becomes your repository for all backed up data, and would be accessible from any computer on the network.

In addition, if you throw in a cheap RAID card (or if it's already available on the motherboard), you could mirror the data on the central server on two hard drives.

I've got an older file server that I use just that way - everything is mapped to that server and the batch files back up all computers to it. Very handy, and pretty cheap.

Well, first of all - are all the comptuers networked? If so, then why not a simple batch script that runs early each morning, such as at 2:30 a.m.? You could designate a single machine as the "central" server, then have all the others run the script using Task Scheduler. The central server becomes your repository for all backed up data, and would be accessible from any computer on the network.

In addition, if you throw in a cheap RAID card (or if it's already available on the motherboard), you could mirror the data on the central server on two hard drives.

I've got an older file server that I use just that way - everything is mapped to that server and the batch files back up all computers to it. Very handy, and pretty cheap.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: My head hurts

Not real sure if MS Activesync is just for mobile to PC or not. I use it to update my med pda with the programs I use that update from the net to my PC. ?????

Yeah I also use AS for my PPC... so am thinking its only for handhelds but not fo sho. thanks tho.

Thanks for the geekback.. i mean feedback. Theyre all networked in the sense that they all use the same wireless router, but they arent all on the same LAN or anything.. if that makes sense.

Your suggestion is probably just a cheaper way of accomplishing something like this box would do?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/Ne...rage/SC101.aspx

What are your thoughts about Netgear and this device in particular -- good, average, bad solution? Should I just stop being a little B and use a 3rd PC as the central server/hub? i love me some geek talk. chuckleshuffle join on in BRI, dont be scurred!!

***SNIP***

Theyre all networked in the sense that they all use the same wireless router, but they arent all on the same LAN or anything.. if that makes sense.

That's a neat trick, since SOHO wireless routers don't support multiple subnets.

I think what you mean is that the computers aren't part of a Windows domain - they just share a LAN segment over the wireless router; a workgroup rather than a domain, in "Windows speak"...

Your suggestion is probably just a cheaper way of accomplishing something like this box would do?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/Ne...rage/SC101.aspx

What are your thoughts about Netgear and this device in particular -- good, average, bad solution? Should I just stop being a little B and use a 3rd PC as the central server/hub? i love me some geek talk. chuckleshuffle join on in BRI, dont be scurred!!

Actually, that's a sweet solution, and has more capabilities than a simple batch file. Since you have to install an "agent" software on each computer you want backed up, you can actually have real-time synchronization - meaning, when a file changes it should be automatically re-copied to that device. A batch file can't do that (well, not a simple one, anyway), so this is a better solution. You will have to add hard drives, but they're dirt cheap, and you'd need that capacity if you just used one computer as the file server. And since this appears as a drive letter, you can simply map drives on the other computers and access everything on the NetGear just as you would using a client/server solution.

Good product, and NetGear has a pretty good reputation for SOHO backup products.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the info AR. Well I did end up purchasing a similar application, but went with a different brand which had better reviews, and was a better overall value.

SimpleTech STI-NAS/160 160GB SimpleShare Network Attached Storage RJ45, USB 2.0 - $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16822154326

I received it a few days ago, and so far am very happy with my purchase. Very slick device, which allows the creation of multiple "letter drives" on the network for shared storage. Also included backup software which will be useful, and not to mention 160 GBs of internal storage!! With the ability to add on 2 add'l drives if needed. Great overall buy.