clearing the air

Travis9

I want to clear the air mainly because i am new to the board and do not want to start off on the wrong foot.

I am a greedy fan, i want wins all sorts of wins and no losses. I want titles Big 12 and NC all sorts of titles.

I am a die hard just like all of you. I respect and like every player that steps on the field for us, period.

so when i say that i would rather see a certain player play it is not a knock on the other player.

There has been much debate about Swift, Petersen, and Ruud. They are huskers so i think they are great.

But....... Remember I want Championships nothing less. I dont believe that championships are available with swift and petersen being your primary receivers or with Ruud being a mainstay on Defense.

I reiterate, that while they are nice players very nice players, they are not what is needed to get us over the hill. It is our staffs job to take the more skilled and more athletically gifted recruits and coach them up past and beyond the players playing.

If that is done, then i dont believe you will see Ruud playing Defense much next year, or swift and petersen running routes much next year.

in conclusion, bashing these HUSKERS is not my objective. We as fans all want the same thing CHAMPIONSHIPS. To get these we need to hope that the more skilled and athletic players step up to their potential and outplay the current players. If they do then these players wont be on the field, if they dont then we will see a lot of the same results

Their is a reason that Purify peaked and declined, teams realized that Taylor had limitations, they doubled MOPURE and trusted that the other WR took a step longer to get open and that Taylor was who he was. If the more athletic WR step up teams will not have that luxury.

Teams ran and threw at Ruud because the coaching staffs new he had limitations. If the more talented players step up then that luxury is gone.

No matter who plays Ill be there regardless the weather with pride. after all i am A HUSKER.

side NOTE How bout this....... If Asante is everything we have heard, why not Green and Thenarse at safety with Dillard in the Middle and Asante and Octo on the outside. That is instantly much more speed and nastiness

OH WELL you can dream big

Have a great day All

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with, and I, personally, do not take an offense to your post. But I do have a couple of statements to make.

First, I think this is what discussion boards are all about. To analyze the team, how to improve, and our thoughts as what I call arm-chair coaches. If people do have a problem with this, why are they on the message board at all? What do they think they are going to gain from the message board that they cannot read in the papers? Oh, well if it is "inside information" then buck up and pay for a freaking subscription to one of the multiple websites that claim to have this information. Don't come on a free discussion forum and bash anyone who has any suggestions on how the team can improve. You can, however, come on the message board and tell them why you think they are wrong (without personally attacking them of course).

Second, I personally think the coaches put the best players on the field to put us in a situation to win. If they are not, then, I'd make much more of a point in your post to call out the coaches and ask "Why do you think Coz doesn't do this or that". Your post seems to call out the players more than the coaches, and I know this kids are giving all they have to the program.

Travis,

I like your thought process, and can't say that I disagree with your point. However, I would like to counter a few of your thoughts.

First, there's no way Asante is playing LB this year. He lost interest in schools that were recruiting him as LB because he believes that to get to the next level, he needs to play safety. That's also a more natural position for him. And this staff is excited to see him get on the field like they were last year with Kenny Wilson. Kenny came in and was really regarded highly because of his frame, and Asante is equally well structured.

Second, I'm with you in that I don't want to see mediocre players on the field, but when you mention guys like Ruud, Peterson and Swift, you don't say who you would rather see in their place. I think Ruud would have had diminished playing time had Octavien been healthy, just like I think McKeon's time would have lessened had Dillard not gotten hurt. But Swift and Peterson constantly made big catches and always were reliable options. It's no doubt that neither has the same talent as Purify, but after Mo there is a drop-off, and you could pretty much group Nunn, Swift, Peterson and Hardy together. We have guys coming in like Niles Paul and Meno Holt that should give us more talent down the road, but they're going to have to develop and learn the offense before they're major contributors.

This team has come a long way from the blow-out at TT in 04 and the weak games we had in 05 against KU and Missouri. We hung with some of the best teams in the country in 06 which tells me the talent gap is narrowing. My main concern is the coaching. It seems like when we play great defense our offense doesn't show up (Auburn, Oklahoma) and when our offense is on sometimes our defense is just weak (OK State, ATM). I'd really like to see the Huskers dominate on both sides and put games away in the 3rd quarter.

in response to all the great responses

1. Holt, Brooks, Henry, and Paul. Those are the WR i would like to see play over the aforementioned players. They may turn out to suck, but for what they are supposed to be, if they develop as they should then they have to play in front of the others.

2. "i like 6'3 4.4 better" we didnt need them when we won championships because we had a different offense. We need them with this offense. Bring the WR back from 95. with them this year we have at least 2 more losses. I respect everyones opinion but comparing the need for WR in 95 and in 07 is like comparing Jennifer aniston to Rosie O'donnell.

3. I think and hope the coaches play the best player. I hope this because if they can coach and have recruited like we have been led to believe then this isnt a discussion. The players like octo thenarse, dillard etc will play cuz they are better. if they arent playing then we need to re evaluate the kind of player we are recruiting. If Ruud plays next year im sure he is the most deserving and i wont be mad that he is out there i will be upset because we havent recruited someone better WHICH SHOULD NOT BE HARD TO DO. MY 10 YEAR OLD LIKES CONTACT MORE THAN HIM AND HITS HARDER ALSO.

I can't believe the people that knock Swift for not being "athletic". He was Mr. Football his senior year of high school in Minnesota. He put up great numbers his freshman year. He hit a sophomore slump in part due to injury such as a concussion in the Texas A&M game. I look forward to seeing Swift bounce back and put up the numbers in 2007 as Keller spreads the wealth.

I look at Swift as a possession receiver to the likes of a Don Beebe or a Ricky Phroel(sp). Every team needs a player like that. A receiver that is willing to go across the middle, one with sure hands who will catch the ball. Will we see Nate catching very many 80 yd go routes, I doubt it. But I can see him catching many 15 yd dig routes, out routes and flag routes. He is in that position because many times our #1 and/or #2 receivers face double or bracket coverage leaving him open.