Thoughts from Hp

Benard

thoughts from Colonel in Huskerpedia.

Now it is time to discuss our offense. Grab your favorite beverage, because this is not a pretty conversation. We are starting to look disorganized and confused. I watched this for five years and thought that we were done with that. I was wrong. Our offense looked as though it was very poorly coached. Joe in his fourth start seemed less sure of himself than in his first. I believe he is regressing and starting to lose confidence. I think Joe has talent — it is time for Bill and Jay to step up and coach 'em up. Bill, don’t us tell about how the plays worked and your guys didn’t execute. It is your job to make them execute. If there is a lack of execution, that is a direct reflection on coaching. Don’t complain, Bill; coach better. Offsides, poor decisions by Joe, time-outs to get the play in — none of this is talent, it is coaching. Also, why do we think that Jackson can get a feel for the game one carry at a time? Our home-run threat Green had one carry on the play he always runs. The only play that has consistently worked for us was the bootleg. Add up the number of times that we ran it last night. Kansas had trouble stopping the run all night, and at the end of the first half when we decided to stop being clever and just run the ball we scored in four plays. Right now Ross is playing as well as any I-back we have ever had, with very little support. Without Ross, we would be stagnant on offense.

First we try a FG on a fourth and inches, and then we try to punt on a fourth and 4 from the 33 and end up netting 11 yards. I am concerned that our coaching staff is coaching as if they are playing the Ravens instead of Kansas. Several times over the last two games I have seen a NFL strategy employed in the college game. They are different games and require different strategies. I hope Bill can bridge the gap.

Maybe my expectations of this coaching staff were too high, and I know that they need more talent. It is one thing to lose to more talent. It is quite another to not take full advantage of what we have.

I am sorry for the tone of this column, but I am very frustrated. Run the ball, Bill. Run the ball.

I agree.

I would have to agree about the running to win. We seem to have success with running then we shy away from it time and time again.

As far as coaching vs. talent. I think Joe has the talent, but just doesn't get it yet. A good guess would be a communication problem between the coaching staff and him. I would agree that he looked more confident in the first game than he does now.

We can't win the Big 12 north with the offense playing like this. I just can't see it happening.

I would have to agree about the running to win. We seem to have success with running then we shy away from it time and time again.

As far as coaching vs. talent. I think Joe has the talent, but just doesn't get it yet. A good guess would be a communication problem between the coaching staff and him. I would agree that he looked more confident in the first game than he does now.

We can't win the Big 12 north with the offense playing like this. I just can't see it happening.

Seems to me Joe is throwing off balance and off his back foot often. He also is kind of slinging it side arm sometimes. He never use to do that, surely the coaches don't want him to do that???? And why don't callahan say something to him instead of looking at his play chart. Do some coaching!

Just when I thought maybe the coaching staff had things figured out, the balloon collapses. While watching the game Saturday, I remember looking up and seeing Dailey had thrown only 15 passes midway through the third quarter. Then, what do we decide to do? Throw the ball almost every down, and throw two critical interceptions. Ross was running all over Kansas, why in the world would you decide to start passing every down?

Our defense is getting better and better which is good as we head into next week against Texas Tech. However, our offense is just not working. I have been impressed with out running backs so far this season. You can just look at Jackson and see he's got it all. Tierre Green is also impressive. Yet, they just won't get any better carrying the ball once a game. I know everyone wants to see us "air it out", but when the fun'n gun isn't working we must get back to the basics.

The last time we had a "nail biter" against Kansas came when Kansas was rated and a good team. A 6 point victory against a team who is rebuilding at home was pathetic to say the least. If "Pud" was scared of mediocricy, I wonder how stable his knees are now? It is one thing when you get beat by superior teams and have close games against good teams. It is completely another thing when you get beat by teams that really aren't that good, and you have close games against teams usually in the bottom tier of the conference. If Callahan doesn't figure this out and soon, we will be lucky to finish 3rd in the North. If the defense ever has an off game, we are in serious trouble!

Just when I thought maybe the coaching staff had things figured out, the balloon collapses. While watching the game Saturday, I remember looking up and seeing Dailey had thrown only 15 passes midway through the third quarter. Then, what do we decide to do? Throw the ball almost every down, and throw two critical interceptions. Ross was running all over Kansas, why in the world would you decide to start passing every down?

Our defense is getting better and better which is good as we head into next week against Texas Tech. However, our offense is just not working. I have been impressed with out running backs so far this season. You can just look at Jackson and see he's got it all. Tierre Green is also impressive. Yet, they just won't get any better carrying the ball once a game. I know everyone wants to see us "air it out", but when the fun'n gun isn't working we must get back to the basics.

The last time we had a "nail biter" against Kansas came when Kansas was rated and a good team. A 6 point victory against a team who is rebuilding at home was pathetic to say the least. If "Pud" was scared of mediocricy, I wonder how stable his knees are now? It is one thing when you get beat by superior teams and have close games against good teams. It is completely another thing when you get beat by teams that really aren't that good, and you have close games against teams usually in the bottom tier of the conference. If Callahan doesn't figure this out and soon, we will be lucky to finish 3rd in the North. If the defense ever has an off game, we are in serious trouble!

Right on, Junior. The coaches need to do something. The offense is pathetic. At times (very few times) I wish we still had Lord back there, at least he could throw the ball down field. Did anyone notice that we actually went deep against Western Illinios and were successful. Now we don't even try to go past 20 yards. The passing game is to stretch the defense. Right now, no defense in their right mind would play cover 2 against us.