callahan never wears

Benard

red.  It's not a real big deal but it just doesn't seem right.  If it isn't pink it's blue like today.  Only day he wears red is game days I swear.  It just seems like another piece to how he isn't NEBRASKA.  He doesn't bleed like us huskers when we lose a game.  He doesn't understand nebraska.  He doesn't have it in his blood.

Well he is not from Nebraska. Did you think that he would come in here and act just like Tom or Frankie. I sure didn't .

I thought he would act like a husker. He is anything but nebraskan. He's going after all west coast players. I think we should change our name to West Coast chumps instead of nebraska huskers.

I suppose you wear RED 24/7/52 weeks a year, right?

When you mow the lawn or rake the leaves, you're wearing your Corn Coast T-Shirt or Red Nebraska hoodie? (This is Saturday's clothing option. Been there, done that.)

You have a Herbie icon tie, and always wear it to church Sunday morning with your red blazer and khaki or black slacks (depending on the week.)

Let's see, scarlet Lands End oxford for Monday, Blackshirt polo on Tuesday, Blue demin shirt with Huskers helmet logo on Wednesday, white oxford with wife's embroidered Nebraska-font on Thursday (date night with her, got to score points,) and vintage Devaney-era T-Shirt on casual Friday with jeans (bonus points for the Dekalb hat on the dash of your deep red Chevy Silverado.)

Get a life, Callahan certainly has. Corporate logo wear will come with his first paycheck. Bill certainly gets Nebraska, he just doesn't have the allegiance of Solich (which by the way came from a Non-Red wearing guy named Bob Devaney back in the 60s!) Didn't see you chewing him out.

Wow, the coach doesn't wear red every day. Gimmee (and him) a break already. Wins don't come from wearing Red, they come from hard work, research, game planning, and talented players on the field. Right now we are working hard, Bill and staff are doing the research and, believe it or not, making the game plan. The talented (loosely applied term after the loss tonight) players play better than I ever could, and I love to watch and cheer them on, regardless of the outcome. Sure the losses hurt, but Bill won't know the difference, heck he probably doesn't even read this bulletin board.

Thats some funny sh#t HuskerRebel! Post of week material.

red.  It's not a real big deal but it just doesn't seem right.  If it isn't pink it's blue like today.  Only day he wears red is game days I swear.   It just seems like another piece to how he isn't NEBRASKA.  He doesn't bleed like us huskers when we lose a game.  He doesn't understand nebraska.  He doesn't have it in his blood.

Well he is not from Nebraska. Did you think that he would come in here and act just like Tom or Frankie. I sure didn't .

I thought he would act like a husker. He is anything but nebraskan. He's going after all west coast players. I think we should change our name to West Coast chumps instead of nebraska huskers.

I suppose you wear RED 24/7/52 weeks a year, right?

When you mow the lawn or rake the leaves, you're wearing your Corn Coast T-Shirt or Red Nebraska hoodie? (This is Saturday's clothing option. Been there, done that.)

You have a Herbie icon tie, and always wear it to church Sunday morning with your red blazer and khaki or black slacks (depending on the week.)

Let's see, scarlet Lands End oxford for Monday, Blackshirt polo on Tuesday, Blue demin shirt with Huskers helmet logo on Wednesday, white oxford with wife's embroidered Nebraska-font on Thursday (date night with her, got to score points,) and vintage Devaney-era T-Shirt on casual Friday with jeans (bonus points for the Dekalb hat on the dash of your deep red Chevy Silverado.)

Get a life, Callahan certainly has. Corporate logo wear will come with his first paycheck. Bill certainly gets Nebraska, he just doesn't have the allegiance of Solich (which by the way came from a Non-Red wearing guy named Bob Devaney back in the 60s!) Didn't see you chewing him out.

Wow, the coach doesn't wear red every day. Gimmee (and him) a break already. Wins don't come from wearing Red, they come from hard work, research, game planning, and talented players on the field. Right now we are working hard, Bill and staff are doing the research and, believe it or not, making the game plan. The talented (loosely applied term after the loss tonight) players play better than I ever could, and I love to watch and cheer them on, regardless of the outcome. Sure the losses hurt, but Bill won't know the difference, heck he probably doesn't even read this bulletin board.

Thats some funny sh#t HuskerRebel! Post of week material.

No but wins do come from believing in winning and believing in the tradition and wanting to win and be a husker smashmouth team. We don't except losing and we don't laugh after a loss. It's all about not being a nebraskan at heart.

No but wins do come from believing in winning and believing in the tradition and wanting to win and be a husker smashmouth team. We don't except losing and we don't laugh after a loss. It's all about not being a nebraskan at heart.

How utterly absurd. No amount of belief will produce a win. If that were the case, you could recruit just about anyone, stick them in an NU jersey, and win.

No but wins do come from believing in winning and believing in the tradition and wanting to win and be a husker smashmouth team.  We don't except losing and we don't laugh after a loss. It's all about not being a nebraskan at heart.

How utterly absurd. No amount of belief will produce a win. If that were the case, you could recruit just about anyone, stick them in an NU jersey, and win.

dedication and hard work will get you a long ways. I gurantee you won't lose by 60.

dedication and hard work will get you a long ways. I gurantee you won't lose by 60.

Only if it's coupled with talent. That's why we see large margins of victory or loss. Even the most dedicated, hard working player is going to lose out to one that has far more talent.

Talent isn't everything, but without it, nothing else helps.

dedication and hard work will get you a long ways.  I gurantee you won't lose by 60.

Only if it's coupled with talent. That's why we see large margins of victory or loss. Even the most dedicated, hard working player is going to lose out to one that has far more talent.

look at a guy like rigoni. Thats what I'm talking about. We need talented players and coaches to have that attitude. The blue collar nebraska attitude. not the wimpy californian attitude.

dedication and hard work will get you a long ways.  I gurantee you won't lose by 60.

look at a guy like rigoni. Thats what I'm talking about. We need talented players and coaches to have that attitude. The blue collar nebraska attitude. not the wimpy californian attitude.

I thought talent didn't matter? All we need is hard work and belief?

Believe it or not, "the Nebraska way" isn't the only way to get the job done. And save "Well it has done good so far!" because it's been five games. Come back in a year or two and say that. Then maybe someone will listen. By someone, I mean the people here who are able to look at things with a level head.

Yes talent matters and is a great start but if you don't know what to do with that talent and how to coach that talent then it does you know good. I take The LA lakers for example. By far the most talent last year with Shaq,kobe,payton, and malone. To many I's on that team and not well coaches. TAke Detroit. They worked their asses off and were a team and didn't care who scored. They ran hard, played hard and fought hard.

Take Texas for example. Always have great recruits but can't ever win big games and get anywhere for any titles. Why is that??? Coaching and to many I's on the team.

I'll have to agree with you Benard. How many recruiting classes has Mack Brown ohad that were either number 1 or in the top 5. A LOT! This past year, he lost a lot of recruits from Texas to who? OKLAHOMA! Coaching does matter and to some extent talent does also. Look at the Mackovicka brothers. Neither one of them was given a scholarship to come play for Nebraska. They had to walk on and earn their scholarship. A lot of other players were the same. Everyone says we had superior talent in the mid-90's. Yet, none of those recruting classes ranked very high. Coaching matters. We used to take big guys and make them offensive linemen. We would take the running quarterbacks that no one else wanted.

Before the game, Jim Rose was saying how we have enough talent this year at Nebraska to beat Oklahoma. Today, he said we lost the game because we don't have enough talent. It's amazing that when you win you have excellent talent, but when you lose you have inferior talent.

Guys are saying that you can't be one dimensional and win it all. What about Florida? What about Miami? The list goes on and on with teams the last 10 years throwing in Nebraska that were one dimensional. How about this year? Who is USC's running back this year? You probably don't know because they don't use him much. Look at Oklahoma. They physically dominated Texas how? BY RUNNING THE DAMN FOOTBALL! I don't buy that you can't win if you're not balanced. The Florida's, Miami's, Oklahoma's, etc. were all pretty much one dimensional. They would run the ball a few times just to keep the defense honest.

I remember after McCartney retired from Colorado. Colorado tried to do what Nebraska is trying to do now. They fell hard and fast. I remember when Oklahoma with Cale Gundy tried to do what Nebraska is trying now also. They pretty much had the same fate as Colorado. I remember Texas trying with Sims what Nebraska is trying now. We know how well that worked out. What am I missing? We're not the first Big 8 or 12 team to try the fun'n gun. However, we may be the last because most teams have learned from others mistakes. Oklahoma is predominately a rushing team this year as they learned last year that throwing with an immobile quarterback down after down will eventually get you beat. Texas is running a lot with Vincent Young and Benson.

I'll have to agree with you Benard.  How many recruiting classes has Mack Brown ohad that were either number 1 or in the top 5.  A LOT!

So Mack Brown = Bill Callahan? I could entertain that idea if Callahan had been at NU as long as Mack. But he hasn't so it isn't accurate. Apples to Apples

Coaching does matter and to some extent talent does also.  Look at the Mackovicka brothers.  Neither one of them was given a scholarship to come play for Nebraska.  They had to walk on and earn their scholarship.  A lot of other players were the same.  Everyone says we had superior talent in the mid-90's.  Yet, none of those recruting classes ranked very high.

Maybe I missed it and it changed overnight, but last I heard the walk on program is still alive. Players like the Mackovica's will get their chance just like any one else. If they show promise I am sure they will get a look. That unless you think that Solich or Osborne are the only people who can recognize talent.

How many high school teams in NE run a WC style offense? Not too many if I remember right. I know Omaha Gross runs a TTech spread style offense. It was easier for a player to walk-on in the old system because that's what everyone runs in the state. Is it a bad thing that because of the system change it might be harder now? No. Not unless you need players born and raised in Nebraska to play to warm your heart or something equally irrelevant.

Before the game, Jim Rose was saying how we have enough talent this year at Nebraska to beat Oklahoma.  Today, he said we lost the game because we don't have enough talent.  It's amazing that when you win you have excellent talent, but when you lose you have inferior talent. 

Look where you got your quote from. There is your explanation right there.

Guys are saying that you can't be one dimensional and win it all.  What about Florida?  What about Miami?  The list goes on and on with teams the last 10 years throwing in Nebraska that were one dimensional.  How about this year?  Who is USC's running back this year?  You probably don't know because they don't use him much.  Look at Oklahoma.  They physically dominated Texas how?  BY RUNNING THE DAMN FOOTBALL!  I don't buy that you can't win if you're not balanced.  The Florida's, Miami's, Oklahoma's, etc. were all pretty much one dimensional.  They would run the ball a few times just to keep the defense honest.

Florida and Miami have always had a back that could be dangerous and that you have to respect. You can't say that all they did was pass because that's simply not true. If the backs didn't at least represent some threat, no defense would hold them to it, focus on the pass and then they would be done for. You have to be able to run and pass the ball on some level. The WCO seeks to equate the two and be able to do both at will. Aren't two weapons better than one? I know you are going to say "Well, it seems like the run is working in the last few games! Why don't we run more!" Because we are NOT completely settled into this offense and we have to keep working at it without reverting back to option left, option right, pass, punt.

Oklahoma dominated Texas with running because they could. Not because they had to. They could have passed also, but they didn't HAVE to. That's what you call having more talent and thus being able to have a more balanced attack. If we had a back as explosive as Peterson, you better believe we'd be running him! Not to take anything away from Ross, but Peterson has more talent.

I remember after McCartney retired from Colorado.  Colorado tried to do what Nebraska is trying to do now.  They fell hard and fast.  I remember when Oklahoma with Cale Gundy tried to do what Nebraska is trying now also.  They pretty much had the same fate as Colorado.  I remember Texas trying with Sims what Nebraska is trying now.  We know how well that worked out.  What am I missing?  We're not the first Big 8 or 12 team to try the fun'n gun.  However, we may be the last because most teams have learned from others mistakes.  Oklahoma is predominately a rushing team this year as they learned last year that throwing with an immobile quarterback down after down will eventually get you beat.  Texas is running a lot with Vincent Young and Benson.

Colorado and Oklahome didn't try to implement the WCO. Just because they wanted to throw the forward pass more doesn't mean it was the WCO. You are also equating at least a couple years of coaching by those teams to five games with us.

Listen, no one is contesting that running is an important part of football and that you can completely do away with it.

Need I remind you that in PROFESSIONAL football, there are many teams that run one variation or another of the WCO. Including the Packers. Why would that be true if it was such a huge mistake? Yes, I understand that on a lot of levels the Pro game is different than the college game but what if NU could run an offense as well as a pro team does? How would we not dominate? Now I realize that's pretty far fetched, but it certainly won't happen on any level running an option game.

The fun and gun? Gimme a break and do some research. THIS ISN'T FLORIDA'S OFFENSE.

edit: It cracks me up that this discussion is in a thread about colors that callahan wears. :wtf