Rudy Carpenter update

zoogs

Does BC plan on using the Shotgun much this season?

Also including some ASU fans opinions on the article..(Still debating Keller).

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articl...penter0319.html

Carpenter says he's confident

ASU QB says new system will aid cause

Jeff Metcalfe

The Arizona Republic

Mar. 19, 2007 12:00 AM

Rudy Carpenter could lose the Arizona State starting quarterback job to sophomore Danny Sullivan, but the junior has enough self-confidence to believe he will impress the new coaching staff and keep the job.

Carpenter believes the competition during spring practice beginning today through Camp Tontozona should be less nerve-racking than last year, when neither he nor Sam Keller could claim the job.

Former coach Dirk Koetter chose Keller then almost immediately switched to Carpenter. Keller transferred to Nebraska, leaving freshman Sullivan as Carpenter's backup. Working with inexperienced receivers, Carpenter dropped from being the 2005 national passing efficiency leader to 39th in the nation. advertisement

"I'm not having another bad year," Carpenter said as he sat down recently to discuss the upcoming season with The Republic's Jeff Metcalfe.

On differences between this spring and last:

"It's going to be lot different. I think we all know who the quarterback is going to be. If Danny comes in and beats me out, hey, that's my fault. This year there's going to be more of an emphasis on football rather than position conflict and controversies.

"Guys would come up to me (last year) and be like, 'Man, I'm sorry I dropped that ball.' . . . This year, there's none of that. Me and Danny are good friends. We work together."

On the shotgun formation being part of Dennis Erickson's offense:

"That's probably the thing I'm most excited about. We've been out in 7-on-7 (drills), and even the guys on defense are like, 'Damn, dude, this is going to be hard.' That's what I grew up doing (in high school). The perspective is so much different.

"I will love the shotgun. It's going to give me the chance to be productive. In seeing the field, moving around, I can help the other players to see certain coverages. There's a reason why every team in the NFL uses it. There's a reason why Peyton Manning is so successful."

On trying to talk Koetter into using the shotgun:

"Every week I tried to do it. But Coach Koetter has been very successful on offense, so he figured if it's not broke, why fix it? In my opinion, though, it was broke last year. We had so many guys on the line hurt and no wideouts virtually. Let me get back there. I was second in the Pac-10 in sacks. Let me just get the ball out of my hand. . . . If you're in the shotgun, you can just throw it out of bounds, chuck and duck and live another play instead of turning it over."

On offensive differences under the new staff:

"Coach Koetter is an offensive genius, in my opinion. He firmly believes he's going to scheme it up, and his scheme is going to beat you. Coach Erickson schemes it up, but he also believes, 'I'm going to recruit, I'm going to get better athletes that are simply better than your athletes, and we're going to beat you that way.' We're going to throw a short pass, make you miss and run for 60 yards. We've got great athletes at wide receiver, great athletes at running back, a good line. We're going to ask our quarterback to just distribute the ball like a point guard, play smart, don't turn it over, don't make dumb decisions."

On managing a game vs. being a playmaker:

"With Coach Koetter and his staff, winning and losing games were based on how well the quarterback played. If the quarterback played good, we were winning games. His whole system is set up for that, which is part of our job. Coach Erickson and Coach (offensive coordinator Rich) Olson have been around a lot of good quarterbacks. Guys who are big, strong, fast. But the best ones, a guy like (Oregon State's) Jonathan Smith, are not that big, not that great, not strong, not fast, very average arm but just know how to manage the game. How to throw the ball away if he needs to, how to take a sack, how to throw a touchdown pass, how to change protection, do the little things. So many times the whole being 6-5, 230, having a cannon is so overrated. Bill Walsh said some of the best quarterbacks he's been around had very average to weak arms. Quarterback is much more than just looking good."

Your comments

Who ever thinks Rudy was ever better than Sam is an idiot! PERIOD! (Ricky8468, March 19, 2007 01:43PM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion: Carpenter will be benched after the 3rd game and Keller will lead Nebraska to a BCS game. Poetic justice(Jim3786, March 19, 2007 01:42PM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes ASU has been mediocre the last decade. That's why the last two coaches were fired, and they brought in a proven winner. Rudy's comparison of coaching styles was spot on, and his comments on the performance of his offensive team(line and receivers) were valid.

He will be more comfortable in the shotgun;his receivers have some experience,and the line should give him the time to get the ball downfield. This should be a good year on Offense. The issue is how the Defense performs !!(Robert5195, March 19, 2007 01:06PM)

People, the team hasn't even hit the practice field yet, and already people are pointing fingers. Hey, there's a new sheriff in town; and this sheriff is not going to t waste time debating the Keller-Carpenter. Bring on the competition.(John3000, March 19, 2007 12:50PM)

I find it very interesting that we haven't even played a snap yet and all ready people are calling for changes. If you trust DE, then trust that the best player will play at each position. If Carpenter starts it is not because his name was drawn out of the hat, it would be because he earned it in the coaches eyes. And if you won't support the team if Carpenter starts, then how does that make you any less of a whiner or crybaby?

Mule and Kim, maybe he did blame other players, but lets look at the facts. 3/5 of the offensive line walked out on senior day in street clothes and with Burgess, Richardson and Lewis doing practically nothing he had receivers who combined for what, 10 catches the previous year. That is not him complaining, that is fact. He still ranked 39th in the nation in efficiency on a team that turned into a running team half way through the season. Was he as good as his freshman year, no. But there were other factors in that besides just his poor play. I agree with Grant. Everyone competes to play. We are not calling Keller a cry baby because he did transfer. And how many of us have left one job for another because of a better opportunity? Is it not the same thing?

Actually Mule, people think ASU is a powerhouse becuase they are all living in the 70's when ASU was part of the WAC conference. You are right, for 18 out of the last 20 years they have been an average college football team. (Steven5660, March 19, 2007 12:49PM)

I find it interesting that anyone who chooses not to wear the maroon and gold goggles is criticized here. Maybe you don't agree with Mack, but Kim made valid comments regarding Rudy's blaming of other players/coaches from last year, and all she gets from the rest of you is criticism. . .

And Will says, "Mack, if you are Really a Sun Devil then act like it. Leave the past where it is, move on dude. . ." That's why so many Devils fans think that ASU is a top notch program, is they immediately forget the past and focus only on the excitement and hype for the coming season. The fact is, the Devils have been only mediocre lately. (Mule (gusties), March 19, 2007 12:34PM)

This kid stinks, he's not that good. Hopefully Coach Erickson brings in his own player and he beats him out. ASU needs a fresh start and this might be the beginning. The Koetter ERA is over and he did not win many games. I'm glad to see him gone and hopefully Carpenter soon too. Rudy is a baby, maybe he should put a pacifier in his mouth when he plays.(Dave3562, March 19, 2007 12:29PM)

Who cares about Kellers demotion? I was at the home games last year when there were many many times during the season that Carpenter was throwing th ball directly to a defense player and the receivers had to try to knock the ball down to prevent interceptions. Like I said before, our incoming QBs are studs and they should be given just as much chance as Carpenter. I also saw Sullivan fumble the ball about as much as he was able to complete a pass. I am sure he will improve, but seniority should not come into play in this situation...(Michael7870, March 19, 2007 12:18PM)

So many of you, Kim and Mack especially, are so clueless. Keller's demotion had little to do with on the field performance, it was about off the field problems. As it has said before, please don't comment unless you have an idea of what happened, because it seems like most of you don't. (Daniel6117, March 19, 2007 11:24AM)

I know this whole thing will never go away...well it will go away when Rudy carpenter goes away. He made a mockery of last season, one that we all had high hopes for. He's a coach killer and DE would best advised to "move away from the Coach Killer." Its funny that Koetter recently had high praise for Sam Keller in an article written in Nebraska. I wonder what all of the ASU coaches who are trying to find jobs have to say about Rudy.

Its really interesting with as bad as he was last season even now he is blaming the WRs and blockers for his problems. Who is he going to blame this year. If he is bad again...as he probably will be, he'll blame DE and the shotgun. Lets face the facts...Rudy is a loser and all of his problems are in his own head...and that won't go away. Denny...PLEASEEEEEEE...anybody but Rudy Carpenter at QB.(Kim3945, March 19, 2007 11:18AM)

Metcalfe, you're trying very hard to start a QB controversy before the 1st snap of spring ball!!!!

Sullivan is a nice kid, but he has zero chance to start the 07 season. Rudy will face competition from Samson and Stangel, but not from Sullivan....you're an idiot

(bryan2195, March 19, 2007 11:11AM)

Time for Rudy to step up. There should be less pressure on him and more on the other skill players to play like they belong in a Div.1 program. I'm sure if Rudy struggles,Erickson won't think twice about giving him the hook. With the quality of the incoming Qb's, Rudy must show he can lead and be the QB we all saw in 05'.(John3000, March 19, 2007 10:59AM)

Carpenter will do fine. He did much better than Keller as a freshman and he did really well in Spring training. He can be a great quarterback and with Erickson we have a shot at getting some playmakers.(Eric6399, March 19, 2007 10:45AM)

You people that call Rudy a crybaby and backstabber are idiots. What athlete that wants to compete doesn't want to start? He earned it by outperforming Keller, period. If you want to blame anyone, blame Koetter.

Look at it this way... is Keller a crybaby for transferring? That is the same thing Rudy said he would do and that made him a crybaby. So, if Rudy is a crybaby, then so is Keller. The coach changed his mind... deal with it. That is what Rudy was supposed to do, right?

Fact is, a lot of players transfer schools for the opportunity to start so I wouldn't blame either of them for transferring to have the opportunity to be a starter. Most college players don't make it to the NFL, and being a backup makes it virtually impossible. Neither are crybabies, it is what happens in college football. If anyone is being crybabies, it's the fickle uneducated fans!

(GRANT800, March 19, 2007 09:32AM)

Mack, if you are Really a Sun Devil then act like it. Leave the past where it is, move on dude, RC is a competitor and has the skills. DE has the experience to build a team with various sets. RC will thrive in the shotgun. This kid is a tough a they come, being in the shotgun will keep him from getting so beat up. Stop whinning and support you team, enough of your negative crybay postings.(will482, March 19, 2007 08:40AM)Re: Storychat (0319carpenter0319.html)

Posted by: steve6536 (IP Logged)

Date: March 19, 2007 08:31AM

Dissension (sorry about the sp) is not what we need at this time. I get very suspicious about people who shout "cry-baby" and "back-stabbing" at every opportunity. This is a new season with a new coach. We have been over that garbage so many times that we are all sick of it. That is over and done. Move on. Let's see what happens THIS YEAR. I don't understand people who pick at old wounds.

mack, you are spouting a lot of garbage. Evidently you did not attend the Spring Practices last year or the Spring Game where Rudy blew Sam away. Basically the same story pre-season at SDS. Unless you you were in the rooms last year when decisions were made you don't know what happened.

Greg has it right. Stick to the facts instead of making up baloney about our players in order to raise dissention among our fans. I'm sure there are some Cat People coming on here to stir things up. Last year is gone. I'm looking forward to the new season. Dump that baggage from last year and get with the program. GO DEVILS!!!

"...cry baby and backstabbing..."? "...cry and pout and threaten..." That's not what happened at all. You guys either need to get a clue or not post. It's one thing to have an opinion about the article, but quite another to spew dumb lies baout a situation that obviously you have no knowledge about. Stick to the facts: Passing efficiency leader as a RS freshman. Last year's stats were obviously not as good, but let's see if he recovers this year. I'll bet it will make for some very entertaining ASU football. I agree with Josh.

I hope the competition is open to more than Carpenter and Sullivan. I really hate to see that Carpenter is talking about playing it safe and not turning the ball over, rather than playing like you have no fear and daring the defense to stop you.

Date: March 19, 2007 07:24AM

Are you getting excited for ASU football or what?!!

Date: March 19, 2007 05:56AM

"If Danny comes in and beats me out, hey, that's my fault." ...whatever. Or maybe he'll cry and pout and threaten to leave ASU again. What a tool.

Date: March 19, 2007 05:52AM

Mack, speak for yourself only. We dont ALL know that Keller is a better quarterback, as a matter of fact I think Rudy is the better quarterback and he showed it as a freshman. Give the kid a break, he was under a lot of pressure last year. I think you will see a different Rudy Carpenter this year, once he has some recievers who can run routes and hold on to the ball.

Date: March 19, 2007 05:02AM

Let's hope for a good first season at ASU for Coach Erickson. I'm also hoping that, although it probably won't happen, another QB beats Carpenter out as the starter. I'm sure Carpenter has politely been told to make some personality adjustments, but his cry-baby and back-stabbing antics last season damaged the team and alienated fans. WE ALL KNOW KELLER IS BETTER, BUT HE'S UNFORTUNATELY GONE ON TO BIGGER THINGS AT NEBRASKA.

THE GOOD NEWS IS WE HAVE A PROVEN WINNER AS COACH AND I BELIEVE HE WILL RECRUIT THE BLUE CHIP PLAYERS NEEDED TO BE A TOP PROGRAM.

GO DEVILS!

There were large parts of the opinions that made little sense, even some of carpenter's comments are suspect. The NFL may use some some shotgun, but if you didnt take snaps from under center in college, your draft stock goes all to hell. Given this will be his 3rd year playing, and he still has issues seeing the feild when dropping back would be a red flag to me.