Big 12 doesn't get respect

And there is a definite media bias towards that conference for whatever reason.

I think one of the big factors behind the bias is television coverage. The Big Ten and the SEC completely outworked the Big 12 in getting television contracts. This is also often given as reason for the Pac 10 not getting respect, late games on crappy channels.

Meanwhile, even fewer games may be shown:

League seeking to fill TV void

With regional coverage, I may only be able to see one or two Nebraska games here. I guess I can look forward to more exciting match ups like Illinois v. Indiana: An intriguing matchup between a recruiter who can't coach and a coach who couldn't get anyone to come to his school even if he could recruit.

:yeah

Great call. There have been so many times where I've been subjected to inferior big 10 games because of our TV contracts. A couple years ago, instead of the Texas-OU game, I had to watch Indiana against Purdue. I wasn't pleased, to say the least.

And there is a definite media bias towards that conference for whatever reason.

I think one of the big factors behind the bias is television coverage. The Big Ten and the SEC completely outworked the Big 12 in getting television contracts. This is also often given as reason for the Pac 10 not getting respect, late games on crappy channels.

Meanwhile, even fewer games may be shown:

League seeking to fill TV void

With regional coverage, I may only be able to see one or two Nebraska games here. I guess I can look forward to more exciting match ups like Illinois v. Indiana: An intriguing matchup between a recruiter who can't coach and a coach who couldn't get anyone to come to his school even if he could recruit.

:yeah

Great call. There have been so many times where I've been subjected to inferior big 10 games because of our TV contracts. A couple years ago, instead of the Texas-OU game, I had to watch Indiana against Purdue. I wasn't pleased, to say the least.

I think you have hit on a big reason for east coast bias. If they don't see you play how can they evaluate you? That leaves only the bowl games to compare, and that is not a fair comparison. Some teams just don't respond well after the layoff. Forget about that 52 day layoff crap the Michigan fans complained about. You can see it during the regular season when a team has an off week. Some teams it helps, others it harms. For example, we have an off week before we play you guys Sept 15th. Traditionally Pete Carroll has done well with that extra time (sorry for the bad news). But with that in mind after the 2005 USC-Texas championship game some SC players admitted they came back from the holidays out of shape. That could have been excuses, but we didn't play our best game against Texas (No excuses, we still had a chance to win and didn't). It seems everybody west of the Mississippi is forgotten by the dominant media. As I watch PAC-10 ball, I am amazed at the comments I hear when some national channel covers one of our games late in the season to here a comment like this:"This is the first time I have seen them play and they (or he) is really good!" First of all they have access to everybody's game film, why can't they review Big 12, PAC-10, WAC, etc,? They have the time. Are they watching Big 10 and SEC game film over and over? There really is no excuse. In addition to your point about face time on TV, I think a lot of these analysts are to lazy to do all their homework. They report on what they're familiar with and assume if they are not familiar with it, it must not be as good. I'm with you on how ridiculous it must have been to watch Purdue-Indiana and not be able to see Texas-OU.

The problem when people try to rank conferences, is ranking them top to bottom. Ranking conferences based on the top 2 or 3 doesnt really say much, otherwise the Big East would be justified in being called one of the best.

***SNIP***

And there are so many ways to rank conferences. For example, take the recent draft. Below is a break down of the top conferences. The number in parenthesis is the number of first round picks for that conference, followed by the total number of players drafted:

CONFERENCE 1ST TOTAL

SEC................................(11).......41

Big Ten ............................(7).......34

ACC.................................(6).......31

Big 12 ..............................(4).......28

If you subscribe to the theory that talent is the most important factor in a team's (or conference's success), then this sure is telling. The good news, for NU at least, is that we sure seem to be raising the level for the Big XII...

Reading through this thread, it got me to thinking about how much disrespect we really get. After reading the USC fans thoughts on the big 12 and how they appeared to be compassionate with the average fan of the Big 12, I had the feeling that there was a reason for it... I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some research, I discovered that the big 12 has accounted for 25% of Pete Carroll's losses at USC.

Hmm...

Seriously, no disrespect to TarheelTrojan or any other USC fan, as I myself am a troll that usually only reads... and doesn't post. I But I felt compelled to point out that Trojan fans opinions, while relevant, may not be as bias free as Big 12 fans; and not quite the "outsiders" opinion that many people were looking for.

Reading through this thread, it got me to thinking about how much disrespect we really get. After reading the USC fans thoughts on the big 12 and how they appeared to be compassionate with the average fan of the Big 12, I had the feeling that there was a reason for it... I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some research, I discovered that the big 12 has accounted for 25% of Pete Carroll's losses at USC.

Hmm...

Seriously, no disrespect to TarheelTrojan or any other USC fan, as I myself am a troll that usually only reads... and doesn't post. I But I felt compelled to point out that Trojan fans opinions, while relevant, may not be as bias free as Big 12 fans; and not quite the "outsiders" opinion that many people were looking for.

If you are looking for someone bias free I understand space travel will be affordable for the masses in about twenty years. Its easy to miss the obvious when you're looking for some ulterior motive. In my April 27th post I said, "It seems everybody west of the Mississippi is forgotten by the dominant media." That wasn't compassion, that was empathy. Both the Big 12 and Pac 10 are west of the Mississippi(except Iowa St). We both get dissed. Maybe one more than the other, but its the same treatment. :sarcasm After your post I did a little research, and, no disrespct, but I had the feeling there was a reason for it.. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some research, I discovered Nebraska has never beaten USC. Hmm.

"Outsider" TarheelTrojan

If you are looking for someone bias free I understand space travel will be affordable for the masses in about twenty years. Its easy to miss the obvious when you're looking for some ulterior motive. In my April 27th post I said, "It seems everybody west of the Mississippi is forgotten by the dominant media." That wasn't compassion, that was empathy. Both the Big 12 and Pac 10 are west of the Mississippi(except Iowa St). We both get dissed. Maybe one more than the other, but its the same treatment. After your post I did a little research, and, no disrespct, but I had the feeling there was a reason for it.. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some research, I discovered Nebraska has never beaten USC. Hmm.

"Outsider" TarheelTrojan

Sorry; didn't mean to be a dick. When I saw this topic, I genuinly wanted to see an outsider's opinion of the Big 12 -- and I guess I was just thinking out-loud that there's possibly an alternative reason as to why you were empathyzing... (pardon me for reading that as respect)

But you're right, Nebraska has never beaten USC... good thing my team is 2-0 against you.

Look at my Avi. :P

But anyway, back on topic.... I hate the media to.

If you are looking for someone bias free I understand space travel will be affordable for the masses in about twenty years. Its easy to miss the obvious when you're looking for some ulterior motive. In my April 27th post I said, "It seems everybody west of the Mississippi is forgotten by the dominant media." That wasn't compassion, that was empathy. Both the Big 12 and Pac 10 are west of the Mississippi(except Iowa St). We both get dissed. Maybe one more than the other, but its the same treatment. After your post I did a little research, and, no disrespct, but I had the feeling there was a reason for it.. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some research, I discovered Nebraska has never beaten USC. Hmm.

"Outsider" TarheelTrojan

Sorry; didn't mean to be a dick. When I saw this topic, I genuinly wanted to see an outsider's opinion of the Big 12 -- and I guess I was just thinking out-loud that there's possibly an alternative reason as to why you were empathyzing... (pardon me for reading that as respect)

But you're right, Nebraska has never beaten USC... good thing my team is 2-0 against you.

Look at my Avi. :P

But anyway, back on topic.... I hate the media to.

TOUCHE! :worship Actually my example, poor assumption on my part, was that you can pick any or real imagined motive of another person. I do respect Nebraska more than any other school than SC. That is one reason I am getting the know the huskers leading up to the game. By the way, I was stationed in Junction City, and spent a lot of time in bars at Manhattan. K-State was the first college campus I ever stamped foot on. A part of my memories are still there. Is "K" hill still there?

Respect. Empathy, Regards,

Tarheel Trojan