Article about Joe Dailey on SI.com

All of this discussion on "the catch" is quite interesting. One thing is getting me though, in talking about the kick aspect of that play didnt Wiggins admit to intentionally kicking the ball after the game? Thought I remember hearing that somewhere.

Wiggins started talking like that, but withdrew the comments.

Watch the play.

Shevin Wiggins has no opportunity to be particularly intentional with a kick, because he was essentially down by contact. The interference on the play before near the left sideline was even worse, and not called.

Especially watch Davison, who reacts as if in a tip drill, and see how careful he is to get both hands together under the ball. The call by Musberger is excellent, as he sees the catch immediately.

You will also notice there is no hesitation by the official.

Whining MeChicken fans and morons like cmb23 will repeatedly refer to the Wiggins statement and talk about how "lucky" Davison was. This is because they do not understand that it is skill honed with practice that makes Matt Davison to react as he did.

Contrary to the apparent opinions of some, you do not start for a national Championship team as a freshman because you are an average player.

Wiggins started talking like that, but withdrew the comments.

Yes...because they could reverse the call and award the game to Missouri. The coaches most likely told him to keep his mouth shut. There were multiple interviews where he was asked if he kicked the ball and he just smirked and responded with "It was a great play" or "You saw what happened".

Watch the play.

Shevin Wiggins has no opportunity to be particularly intentional with a kick, because he was essentially down by contact.

You honestly sound like you have told yourself a lie so many times that you believe it is the truth. Go ahead. Replay it. He is looking down at the ball as it falls and he crosses his legs, lifting them up and over his head as he goes to the ground on his back.

The interference on the play before near the left sideline was even worse, and not called.

I'll go ahead and throw out that there was probably a hold at the offensive line...as there is ON EVERY PLAY OF EVERY GAME...that wasn't called. Poor excuse.

Especially watch Davison, who reacts as if in a tip drill, and see how careful he is to get both hands together under the ball. The call by Musberger is excellent, as he sees the catch immediately.

I'm going to guess that most starting D-1 receivers try to get both hands together under the ball for every ball ever thrown. Just a crazy thought...if they didn't they wouldn't catch it. This isn't a special skill that Davison or a few select receivers have. That's how you catch a ball. Can't think of too many receivers that go for a jump ball or a dive and tuck one hand behind their back. What does Musberger have anything to do with it?

You will also notice there is no hesitation by the official.

OK? That doesn't mean that it wasn't a lucky bounce of the ball that he witnessed along with the rest of us. But it was his judgement not to call it an illegal touching of the ball when it got kicked.

Whining MeChicken fans and morons like cmb23 will repeatedly refer to the Wiggins statement and talk about how "lucky" Davison was. This is because they do not understand that it is skill honed with practice that makes Matt Davison to react as he did.

I enjoy you calling me a moron. It shows how personal you are taking this that you have to resort to name calling. Stick your tongue out at me while you're at it.

Contrary to the apparent opinions of some, you do not start for a national Championship team as a freshman because you are an average player.

Nobody is questioning the value, ability or heart of Matt Davison. Are you his uncle or something? The fact is is that it was a series of events that occurred involving him, Wiggins, Frost and a number of Missou, Mizzou or MeChicken (evidently that's what you've coined them) defenders that all bounced our way...a LUCKY bounce.

Face it....you're taking this one right in the Mommy/Daddy buttons. :nutz

Good God, just let it go dude. The fact that Wiggins couldn't be "intentional" in direction, height or placement with the alleged "kick" just further proves the luck involved in this fluke play. He either meant to do it, or it was luck. You just said it was unintentional. Davison catching the ball was not luck. He was a good receiver. The odds that the ball would go right to him in the midst of all the Missouri defenders after an "unintentional" kick or flailing leg that made contact with the ball is where the luck is involved. The more you talk the deeper you dig. The few, the proud, the llama riders. :nanalama

Good God, just let it go dude. The fact that Wiggins couldn't be "intentional" in direction, height or placement with the alleged "kick" just further proves the luck involved in this fluke play. He either meant to do it, or it was luck. You just said it was unintentional. Davison catching the ball was not luck. He was a good receiver. The odds that the ball would go right to him in the midst of all the Missouri defenders after an "unintentional" kick or flailing leg that made contact with the ball is where the luck is involved. The more you talk the deeper you dig. The few, the proud, the llama riders. :nanalama

Davison adjusted. He reversed direction from his own route.

He outplayed the Mizzou defenders. That wasn't luck.

"Luck" would be that Wiggins kicked the ball, and a Mizzou defender tried to catch it, but batted it right to Davison. Or something like that.

The "catch" was a player making a play.

As Tom Osborne told Michelle Tafoya: "It's players."

Listen, I obviously don't agree with you and you obviously don't agree with reality. Do you need to hear the words "you win" to shut up? At this point we'd be "lucky" if that's all it took. Anytime you wanna hand back that shovel, you are welcome to. Have a nice day. :)

Now we're falling back on 'technicalities' to prove a point? Fine. The last .14 seconds of that entire series of events (when he secured the ball as he fell on it) was skill. The other series of events leading up to that precise, blink of an eye moment, was luck. Celebrate your victory and go dance with a banana. :corndance

Back to the subject....Joe Dailey. I think he could have been the greatest college QB of all time! :sarcasm

Now we're falling back on 'technicalities' to prove a point? Fine. The last .14 seconds of that entire series of events (when he secured the ball as he fell on it) was skill. The other series of events leading up to that precise, blink of an eye moment, was luck. Celebrate your victory and go dance with a banana. :corndance

Back to the subject....Joe Dailey. I think he could have been the greatest college QB of all time! :sarcasm

I see, so Frost was "lucky" to even throw the pass?

To-May-To....To-Mah-To....either way it's ketchup because this thing is squashed. New subject.

Sure, you get pinned down, shown to be a fool, and clam up.

YOU are the guy who turned this into a whole new thread, made up a distorted a poll, hid your true viewpoint, and became flame-bait.

All I did was out you for the BTW you are.

Now you are stuck: where's the luck?

Do you always start crying when someone calls your bluff?

To-May-To....To-Mah-To....either way it's ketchup because this thing is squashed. New subject.

Sure, you get pinned down, shown to be a fool, and clam up.

YOU are the guy who turned this into a whole new thread, made up a distorted a poll, hid your true viewpoint, and became flame-bait.

All I did was out you for the BTW you are.

Now you are stuck: where's the luck?

Do you always start crying when someone calls your bluff?

Such hatred. I like how I am a BTW (you are good with your nicknames by the way...hey, that's BTW too!) because I am from Iowa. I guess the fact I lived half of my life in Omaha and Lincoln and an am NU alum secures your valid points even further.

Please take your meds before we lose you.

(And yes, now you can go ahead and call me some other name and go back to asking, "where's the luck", and I'll respond with something smartass along the lines of "I don't know, probably hanging out with your touch of reality. Call me when you find both of them.")

Also...this whole 'flame-bait' thing you keep bringing up. What is it exactly? I've heard 'flame' used as a slur towards homosexuals. Care to explain? Why don't you drop a few N-bombs while you're at it and see how deep this hole gets?

BTW - by the way that is, I'll take that as a compliment. See, I believe bait is something you use to attract something else, whether it be fish, deer, or in the case 'flame'. And if I am correct, you are using 'flame' to refer to homosexuals. So to attract homosexuals using bait, you would probably use an attractive male....correct? Thanks for the kind words.