Why didnt the coaches adjust their plan!!

Like some others have sed I woulda liked to see us try to dominate the clock a bit instead of stickin with their gameplan regardless of the opponetn. callahan almost tries to be too much ofa Mike martz or somethin. whats wrong with admitting we cant run with Duke up and down the court all game and playing half court ball?! :blink:

It's tempting, I know, to do that, but if you do, you delay things - you get slight improvement in one game, but hurt your development and implementation of the system overall.

Even if we stuck with the run more, it wouldn't have mattered in the sense we would have lost. Not by as much, perhaps, but it was still going to happen. The defense simply couldn't stay with the receivers or pressure the quarterback.

If the game is close, then yes, I think you adjust to go with what works - one of the benefits of the West Coast is supposed to be the ability to do just that. But since that wasn't the case in this game, better to keep working on those areas that need it most.

If you don't, then there's no chance for Dailey to develop. And Dailey could be the guy for the next two years - there's no guarantee anyone on campus will be better, or that we will actually recruit someone better. Seems we're trying to do that, but you just can't tell how a recruit - no matter the press clippings or the stats in high school - will do once he moves up to the next level.

ya know, that whole ball control offense, is how you mess up teams like Texas Tech...

They're ready for a sprint, not a marathon...

Trouble is, unless you are demonstrably physically superior to the opposition, a ball control offense - presumably, a run-based offense - becomes easy to defend. Load up the box. If the offense can't pass to open up the defense, it becomes easy to stop the offense.

When NU was winning championships, and in the years it contended, it did so with a run-based offense that benefited from players that were physically dominate over the opposition.

But think to those games when we ran up against teams that were as good as us physically. Those teams stopped us, and we had no other way to move the ball. Seemed to happen every year until the championship years. We would dominate most teams, then eventually run into one that was as physically talented as we were. They'd load the box, stop the run - and NU would lose a heart-breaker.

Yes, we have been running well, but notice also that no one is loading the box - they have to at least respect the pass.

ya know, that whole ball control offense, is how you mess up teams like Texas Tech...

They're ready for a sprint, not a marathon...

Trouble is, unless you are demonstrably physically superior to the opposition, a ball control offense - presumably, a run-based offense - becomes easy to defend. Load up the box. If the offense can't pass to open up the defense, it becomes easy to stop the offense.

When NU was winning championships, and in the years it contended, it did so with a run-based offense that benefited from players that were physically dominate over the opposition.

But think to those games when we ran up against teams that were as good as us physically. Those teams stopped us, and we had no other way to move the ball. Seemed to happen every year until the championship years. We would dominate most teams, then eventually run into one that was as physically talented as we were. They'd load the box, stop the run - and NU would lose a heart-breaker.

Yes, we have been running well, but notice also that no one is loading the box - they have to at least respect the pass.

If one of the benefits of the WCO is to be able to do with what works then why are we not running the football. I understand that we need to be able to do both and have the defense respect both of them, but when we run the ball all the way down the field until around the 30 yard line and then throw three straight passes, that does not make sense to me. Like a man much wiser than me once said, "You dance with who brought you here." If we run the ball down the field until we get to the red zone, then why do we not RUN THE FOOTBALL.

If one of the benefits of the WCO is to be able to do with what works then why are we not running the football. I understand that we need to be able to do both and have the defense respect both of them, but when we run the ball all the way down the field until around the 30 yard line and then throw three straight passes, that does not make sense to me. Like a man much wiser than me once said, "You dance with who brought you here." If we run the ball down the field until we get to the red zone, then why do we not RUN THE FOOTBALL.

I imagine the thinking is that when you get into the red zone, the defense has less field to defend, and can begin to load the box. In those circumstances, your best bet is the pass.

I imagine the thinking is that when you get into the red zone, the defense has less field to defend, and can begin to load the box. In those circumstances, your best bet is the pass.

Not really, You can't stretch the defense as much in the red zone with the pass as you can in between the 20's. Your best bet is to do what you do best and in our case it is to RUN THE FOOTBALL.

I would love to run the ball, but NOOOOOOOOO...

See, i'm not a "coach", but when you throw the ball on 1st down, you put yourself in a hole..

I would imagine that, yes, the WCO does work...

you just need a coach that knows it...

Then do not pass the ball on first down. Any good coach will tell you that you run your best plays in the red zone. Thats just happens to be RUNNING PLAYS in our case.

I would love to run the ball, but NOOOOOOOOO...

See, i'm not a "coach", but when you throw the ball on 1st down, you put yourself in a hole..

I would imagine that, yes, the WCO does work...

you just need a coach that knows it...

You only put yourself in a hole passing on first down if you don't complete it. Likewise, if you run and are stopped for no or little gain - which is more likely as the field shrinks and there is less area to defend, allowing the defense to cheat up toward the line - you put yourself in a hole.