similarities?

i remember when the cornhuskers were always good, they had a talented yet underrated group of linebackers. this year, barring injury, we should have that form. in college, you must stop the run and LBs are a huge part of that, as well as blitzing and pass coverage. i think they were down a bit last year for a number of reasons; but this year could be a turn-around. what opionions do you have on how they will be used (whichever d we use): as experienced group who holds down the fort and makes a majority of the plays, or more blitz oriented, big play type backers? i personally like when they are good enough to make disruptions and yet experienced enough to make sound tackles. ...maybe blitz players... with responsiblities. (i know a lot depends on the DBs and DLs, but this is about our feelings towards the LBs and how we would like them to be used.)

The biggest thing about stopping the run is having a good d line that can keep the o line off of the line backers, and allowing them to make the plays. That is the most important thing to having a good LB corps. You could take an average LB crew and put them behind four very good d linemen and those LB will look like all americans. But I think in our case where we have a questionable d line, it will help out a lot having an experienced LB corps to make up for that inexperience up front.

this is true in almost all situations. however, we had 2 draftees last year and some other good beef up front, and our LBs were a little down numbers wise from the year before. im not necessarily asking how their performance will be, rather what capacity they will be USED. i, opersonally would like them to

1. make SOLID tackles against the run

2.be involved in the backfield on passing situations

3. Be there for other run blitzes and line of scrimmge plays

4. and if at all possible create passing lane problems in obvious passing situations

in that order of importance. with our depth and experience i think these can be achieved, having one without sacrificing for the other. in other words, use our LBs to put pressure on the offense. go big red.

I always thought when we were really good, we had a good group of LB's who were rated accordingly. Back when we were really good, we had LB's who either won the Butkus or were right there in contention. We also had at least one or two LB's with barn burning speed to boot. However, we also typically has some really good or at least more than adequate DB's as well.

I don't think our defense is there yet, but after 5 or 6 games I think they'll be a vast improvement over last year.