top 10 husker football teams you decide

Oh jeez, um ok i will give it a shot!

'95 huskers (duh)

'71 huskers (duh)

'83 huskers (kinda duh)

'94 huskers

'93 huskers

'70 huskers (i know nothing about this team other than they won an NC)

'97 huskers

1890 Huskers (hey! they went undefeated, 2-0!)

'99 huskers

'01 huskers?

i really don't know who to put as my last one

1. 95 Huskers - the runaway number 1 team in the history of college football, so they are obviously number 1 on here. Can't say anything that hasn't been said about this team.

2. 71 Huskers - until the 95 team came along, this team was constantly ranked among the top teams of all time. Only close game was the "Game of the Century" against OU. Won their national championshpi game 38-6 over Alabama.

3. 83 Huskers - if this team wins the title against Miami, they go ahead of the 71 Huskers imo. Only thing holding them back was the defense, and lack there of. Offense was unstoppable. Dubbed the "Scoring Explosion," they scored 84 points in

one game against Minnesota that year.

4. 97 Huskers - weren't as good as the 95 Huskers (no one is), but were better than the 94 team imo. The win early against 3rd ranked Washington got fans off Scott Frost's back, and this team won the 3rd championship in 4 years, finishing off the greatest run in the history of college football, going 60-3 in five years. Tom Osborne's last team was tough on both sides of the ball, and shut down Super Bowl winning quarterback Peyton Manning.

5. 94 Huskers - first team to win the title for Osborne, and though they didn't really blow anyone out like the 95 team, they played with guts that few teams in history have. This team didn't have Tommie Frazier for the whole season, but even without him this team wouldn't be stopped. Ended up beating many top 10 teams.

6. 70 Huskers - first Husker team ever to win a title. Had a tie during the season actually (against USC), and played a tough game with LSU to win the national title.

7. 99 Huskers- this team should have won the title. If not for a meltdown in fumbling all season, which hurt them the most in the loss against UT, this team would have been playing FSU for the championship. The Brown led D (Mike and Ralph) was one of Charlie McBride's best, and it ended up being his last. The Eric Crouch led offense wasn't too bad either.

8. 93 Huskers - "Refuse to Lose" was the moto of this team, and they almost did just that. If not for some horrible calls in the national championship game, and a missed field goal as time ran out, this would have been the first of three straight national championships for the Huskers. But maybe if they win, they don't have the motivation to win in 94. They sure wouldn't have the saying of "Unfinished Business". Nonetheless, this was a great team, as young Huskers started growing into what would be the best team in history.

9. 82 Huskers - once again, a one loss Husker team on a bad call. This one isn't debatable. Playing Penn State in Happy Valley this season, the team lost 27-24 on two of the worst calls in college football history. Yes maybe the touchdown catch to win it wasn't trapped, but Todd Blackledge was out of bounds on his catch. This team should have been Osborne's first championship team.

10. 00 Huskers - unfortunately this team lost two games they shouldn't have against OU and KSUcks. They were up 14-0 on OU, and would have won against the Mildcats, but Solich couldn't win away games, especially against KSUcks. This team was so good on both sides of the ball, and they were very fast.

There's my top 10 teams of all time. Just missing the cut are the 78 Huskers, 01 Huskers, and the 04 Huskers (just kidding on the 04 team :lol:).

1. 95 Huskers - the runaway number 1 team in the history of college football, so they are obviously number 1 on here. Can't say anything that hasn't been said about this team.

2. 71 Huskers - until the 95 team came along, this team was constantly ranked among the top teams of all time. Only close game was the "Game of the Century" against OU. Won their national championshpi game 38-6 over Alabama.

3. 83 Huskers - if this team wins the title against Miami, they go ahead of the 71 Huskers imo. Only thing holding them back was the defense, and lack there of. Offense was unstoppable. Dubbed the "Scoring Explosion," they scored 84 points in

one game against Minnesota that year.

4. 97 Huskers - weren't as good as the 95 Huskers (no one is), but were better than the 94 team imo. The win early against 3rd ranked Washington got fans off Scott Frost's back, and this team won the 3rd championship in 4 years, finishing off the greatest run in the history of college football, going 60-3 in five years. Tom Osborne's last team was tough on both sides of the ball, and shut down Super Bowl winning quarterback Peyton Manning.

5. 94 Huskers - first team to win the title for Osborne, and though they didn't really blow anyone out like the 95 team, they played with guts that few teams in history have. This team didn't have Tommie Frazier for the whole season, but even without him this team wouldn't be stopped. Ended up beating many top 10 teams.

6. 70 Huskers - first Husker team ever to win a title. Had a tie during the season actually (against USC), and played a tough game with LSU to win the national title.

7. 99 Huskers- this team should have won the title. If not for a meltdown in fumbling all season, which hurt them the most in the loss against UT, this team would have been playing FSU for the championship. The Brown led D (Mike and Ralph) was one of Charlie McBride's best, and it ended up being his last. The Eric Crouch led offense wasn't too bad either.

8. 93 Huskers - "Refuse to Lose" was the moto of this team, and they almost did just that. If not for some horrible calls in the national championship game, and a missed field goal as time ran out, this would have been the first of three straight national championships for the Huskers. But maybe if they win, they don't have the motivation to win in 94. They sure wouldn't have the saying of "Unfinished Business". Nonetheless, this was a great team, as young Huskers started growing into what would be the best team in history.

9. 82 Huskers - once again, a one loss Husker team on a bad call. This one isn't debatable. Playing Penn State in Happy Valley this season, the team lost 27-24 on two of the worst calls in college football history. Yes maybe the touchdown catch to win it wasn't trapped, but Todd Blackledge was out of bounds on his catch. This team should have been Osborne's first championship team.

10. 00 Huskers - unfortunately this team lost two games they shouldn't have against OU and KSUcks. They were up 14-0 on OU, and would have won against the Mildcats, but Solich couldn't win away games, especially against KSUcks. This team was so good on both sides of the ball, and they were very fast.

There's my top 10 teams of all time. Just missing the cut are the 78 Huskers, 01 Huskers, and the 04 Huskers (just kidding on the 04 team :lol:).

good choices, but i would have to rate all 5 of the NC years as the top 5, because they all reach the top and came away victorious. the second five would be the other great ones

Yeah that would normally be the case, but I think the 83 Huskers could beat all the teams below them. Nothing against the champiosnship teams because they did get over the hump, but I still think the 83 team is better.

the thing about the 83 team is that they didnt have one of the strongest defenses, and they didnt need one because of the way the offense poured the points on the board. I think that the 97 defense was alot better than the 83 defense and you know what they say

offense puts fans in the stands but defense wins championships. it would be close but I still go with 97. 94 had a great defense and kept NU from losing games after Tommie went down to the blood clots and Brook went out with the collapsed lung. While Matt Turman did a hell of a job as a 3rd string walk-on filling in for them, it was because of the defense that NU made it to the Orange Bowl that year. So i have to give it to them also.

I dont know to much about the 70 Huskers because I didnt move to Nebraska until 72, so I will give you that one.

Yeah that would normally be the case, but I think the 83 Huskers could beat all the teams below them. Nothing against the champiosnship teams because they did get over the hump, but I still think the 83 team is better.

cause of the defense that NU made it to the Orange Bowl that year. So i have to give it to them also.

I dont know to much about the 70 Huskers because I didnt move to Nebraska until 72, so I will give you that one.

I was at the USC game in '70 when I believe they were #1 and we tied them. Should have won. I believe that was Jerry Tagge, Johnny Rogers, Jeff Kinney, Rich Glover era. Great time, great team. Going from memory here, so I may be off on the facts. I think we we had no losses that year, only the tie with USC. Sure you can find the facts on the WWW. My memory is of a great team though.

I can't explain the 2001 team :( I mean, what the heck? We completely owned for pretty much the whole season. We welcomed the #1 Oklahoma Sooners to Memorial Stadium and that 2001 defense of ours shut them down to 10 points.

To this day, I have no idea, what happened at the end? Totally illogical...how did we go from #1 in the nation to getting systematically routed? I think a lot of it had to do with focus and mindset, perhaps; physically, and for the first 11 games of the season (I think it was 11? Maybe 10) we had a team that could have gone down in Husker history as one of the best.

I'd have to agree that '99 was better, though. Don't know about '00 - losses to KSU and a pretty big loss to OU.....I mean...it's hard for me at least to judge the 2001 team, because that was really the story of two teams: Nebraska '01, and the post-CU game posers that showed up in Husker uniform to play.

I can't explain the 2001 team :( I mean, what the heck? We completely owned for pretty much the whole season. We welcomed the #1 Oklahoma Sooners to Memorial Stadium and that 2001 defense of ours shut them down to 10 points.

To this day, I have no idea, what happened at the end? Totally illogical...how did we go from #1 in the nation to getting systematically routed? I think a lot of it had to do with focus and mindset, perhaps; physically, and for the first 11 games of the season (I think it was 11? Maybe 10) we had a team that could have gone down in Husker history as one of the best.

I'd have to agree that '99 was better, though. Don't know about '00 - losses to KSU and a pretty big loss to OU.....I mean...it's hard for me at least to judge the 2001 team, because that was really the story of two teams: Nebraska '01, and the post-CU game posers that showed up in Husker uniform to play.

I think the fact that the biggest games before the CU game, OU, Notre Dame, even KSU (though they sucked), were at home. We didn't have any tough road games, and then we went into Bolder and got it handed to us. Meybe they didn't take them seriously. Maybe they didn't think sCUm would put up a fight, but they hit us in the mouth, and never stopped. One of the most disappointing games I ever watched.

Like you said though, this team could have gone down as one of the best.

• 3 weeks later...

1. 1995 Huskers: No question about this--Steve Spurrier told me so.

2. 1971 Huskers: Our only serious challenge was Game of the Century in Norman. We beat Bear Bryant in the Orange Bowl.

3. 1994 Huskers: Story book ending. Beat Miami on their home field. Schlesinger has two 4th qtr TD runs.

4. 1983 Huskers: The Scoring Explosion hung 48 points on CU in the third quarter. Got screwed by field conditions playing Miami on their home field the OB. (I was a UNL student then--had great regular season seats in east stadium.)

5. 1970 Huskers: Jerry Tagge engineers a late 4th qtr drive to win our 1st MNC.

6. 1997 Huskers: If the AP had waited until the season ended, Michigan would be #2.

7. 1993 Huskers: The year the pipeline came together. But for a missed 45 yd field goal,

we win another MNC.

8. 1982 Huskers: Happy Valley has an unusual shaped football field. .

9. 1978 Huskers: We beat #1 OU in regular season, but lost to unranked Mizzou. Mizzou cheap shot knocked I.M. Hipp out of the game. OU beat us in the Orange Bowl.

10. 2008 Huskers: Wait and see my friend. Wait and see.

edit: Couple of minor clarifications.

1. 1995 Huskers: No question about this--Steve Spurrier told me so.

2. 1971 Huskers: Our only serious challenge was Game of the Century in Norman. We beat Bear Bryant.

3. 1994 Huskers: Story book ending. Beat Miami on their home field. Schlesinger has two 4th qtr TD runs.

4. 1983 Huskers: The Scoring Explosion hung 48 points on CU in the third quarter. Got screwed by field conditions playing Miami on their home field. (I was a UNL student then--had great seats in east stadium.)

5. 1970 Huskers: Jerry Tagge engineers a late 4th qtr drive to win our 1st MNC.

6. 1997 Huskers: If the AP had waited until the season ended, Michigan would be #2.

7. 1993 Huskers: The year the pipeline came together. But for a missed 45 yd field goal,

we win another MNC.

8. 1982 Huskers: Happy Valley has an unusual shaped football field. .

9. 1978 Huskers: We beat #1 OU in regular season, but lost to unranked Mizzou. Mizzou cheap shot knocked I.M. Hipp out of the game. OU beat us in the Orange Bowl.

10. 2008 Huskers: Wait and see my friend. Wait and see.

This is the best list of them all. Just slip the '99 team in at 8,9, or 10 and knock off the '08 team and its how i would have had it.