Is Nebraska Behind the Ball in Recruiting?

That 2006 class was just outside the top 10 until we lost a few on signing day, than it took a dive down to 20.

Yeah, that’s how it played out all right. I think rivals/scout/etc overcompensated by dropping us too much—no doubt because of all the drama of the February events.

Regarding the original topic, above, what is your opinion of our current recruiting efforts? As for me, I am pretty sure our current coaches know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting. For example, take the D-line, mentioned above. In 2007 we had 7 DL recruits, in 2006 we had 5 DLs, and in 2005 we had 6 DLs (this includes DEs but does not account for position changes). These levels compare favorably to 2002 and 2003 when we had 3 DL recruits in each year.

Does anyone else ever sometimes feel like we are one year behind in our focus for recruiting each year? For example, in 2007 we lost our entire D-line, and the 2007 recruiting class has seven D-linemen in it. The 2006 class had five.

This year we will lose a lot of our Linebackers, and it looks like the coaches are going after a lot of 'backers this year. In 2007 we took 2 linebackers.

What do you all think, should the coaches try to get one year further ahead? It certainly looks like they are trying to this year with the O-linemen they are bringing in. Just wondering if you all ever thought about this. :thumbs

as far as linebackers go travis lewis jumped ship at the last moment but the coaches told jermaine love that we didn't have room earlier and I think we should have made room but that is easy to say after the fact also Roy Helu could bulk up and be a linebacker same goes for Latravis Washington if he ever qualifies

I was thinking about this and just bc we have not got the recruits that we have needed to get doesnt mean that we are behind the ball. We needed to get db's the last couple of years and everyone new that. I am sure cally targeted them, but in the end they just didnt want to come here. We got a big name qb, a big name running back and the linemen just didnt want to come as well. In his first year he got one of the best tackles in Murtha, but he just hasnt panned out yet. I trust the coaches see what they need, thats why they had to go out and recruit juco linebackers and db's. It all comes down to the fact that the top high school talent just didnt want to come to Nebraska at that time. However, that is all changing now. I have heard great things about Jonas Gray, who is a packaged deal with Demons. Its looking better and better to add those two in the coming months than ever.

I was thinking about this and just bc we have not got the recruits that we have needed to get doesnt mean that we are behind the ball. We needed to get db's the last couple of years and everyone new that. I am sure cally targeted them, but in the end they just didnt want to come here. We got a big name qb, a big name running back and the linemen just didnt want to come as well. In his first year he got one of the best tackles in Murtha, but he just hasnt panned out yet. I trust the coaches see what they need, thats why they had to go out and recruit juco linebackers and db's. It all comes down to the fact that the top high school talent just didnt want to come to Nebraska at that time. However, that is all changing now. I have heard great things about Jonas Gray, who is a packaged deal with Demons. Its looking better and better to add those two in the coming months than ever.

that's great to hear we're hitting michigan hard also in there top 5 is nick perry a defensive end were on

In response to original question, I believe we are just now starting to catch up on actual depth needs. In my opinion, the first year or two of recruiting were spent taking basically any skill players we could grab. Cally was grabbing JUCOs by the handful intending to make immediate impacts. Each year since then we've started getting more and more HS talent which allows us to start creating depth.

I think this year and last we are finally getting to the point where we are recruiting mostly for the future. One or two of these guys may come in and make an immediate impact, but I'd say most are intended to grow in our system and shine later.

My 2 cents