New Pitching Coach

Nebraska baseball coach Mike Anderson announced the hiring of Eric Newman as the Huskers’ pitching coach on Monday.

Newman comes to Nebraska after five years at Dallas Baptist University, serving the last three seasons as head coach.

“I pursued Newman for this opening because of his ability to work with pitchers and his ability to recruit high-level student-athletes,” Anderson said in a press release. “In talking to people around the country, some of my closest friends in the coaching ranks were the ones who gave Newman their highest recommendations. The thing that sold me on him after talking to him was the character he adds to our program.”

Newman said the opportunity to join the Husker staff was appealing for several reasons.

“It takes a pretty special opportunity to leave a head coaching position to become an assistant, and Nebraska was appealing for a number of reasons,” Newman said.

Over the last three seasons as head coach, the Patriots compiled a 95-72 record, including a 52-11 home record, while completing the transition to full Division I status in 2005. Despite lacking a conference affiliation, DBU finished with a 30-26 mark this past season, including wins over College World Series qualifier Mississippi State as well as NCAA Regional teams St. John’s and Fresno State.

Newman began his Dallas Baptist career as the school’s pitching coach in 2002, a position he held for three seasons before being named head coach. In his time as an assistant, he lowered the team ERA from 5.80 in 2002 to 3.28 in two seasons. Their 3.28 team ERA in 2004 would have ranked seventh nationally except for DBU’s provisional Division I status.

That season, he produced a pair of 10-game winners in Broadway and Jeff Gilmore. Broadway, a finalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and Roger Clemens award in 2005, would eventually become a first-round pick of the Chicago White Sox and has already reached the Triple-A level.

LJS