Brian Rosenthal

Benard

This is very similar to how I feel besides I picked us to lose.

There's no excuse for that crazy Texas Tech loss

OK, I admit it. I'm crazy.

Picking Nebraska to beat Texas Tech, in hindsight, wasn't a very good idea.

(Submit that in any Understatement of the Year contests, if you wish.)

Not that anybody should be surprised. Notice who's near the bottom of the Husker Extra Challenge prediction standings.

I based the NU-TT pick on two things:

1. Nebraska's ability to run the football and potential to play keep away from the Tech offense.

2. Nebraska's defense.

Bad thinking.

The Huskers stopped running the ball after a couple of series. And it's obvious the Nebraska defense isn't as good as we thought.

Letting Texas Tech complete a few passes and score a few points is one thing. Not pressuring Sonny Cumbie and missing numerous open-field tackles is another.

There's no excuse for this Nebraska team losing by 60 points. Not a new offensive system. Not a new coaching staff. Not a high-powered Texas Tech offense.

Nothing.

People want to compare this blowout loss to those Oklahoma endured pre-Bob Stoops (69-7 and 73-21 to NU) and what Texas A&M suffered last year to OU (77-0) in similar transition years.

But at least those losses (by less-talented teams than this year's Nebraska group) came to national championship-caliber squads. Nebraska lost, by 60 points, to an unranked team that lost to New Mexico.

New Mexico!

I'm all for being patient and waiting for Bill Callahan to implement his system with his players. But we can expect better coaching and better fundamental execution from this team.

Can't we?

How bad is too bad?

Would losing 49-10 or 42-17 have been any better?

You could argue the score would've been closer to that range had Callahan mercifully pulled a true freshman quarterback after a couple of turnover-prone series — or at least had Beau Davis hand the ball off instead of throwing it.

Some say a loss is a loss. True. But while losing by four touchdowns obviously isn't good, it's a lot more manageable in the damage control department.

Uh, 70-10? That's when "SportsCenter" picks up lowlights and begins flashing "worst loss in school history" at the bottom of your TV screen.

Just a hunch, but I don't think Steve Pederson, Callahan and Co. are really after negative national attention.

This game was out of reach after 2½ quarters. But it could have, and should have, been kept under control, no matter how badly you want a freshman quarterback to gain experience in a new system.

Looking for a spark

God bless Santino Panico.

He seems like a great kid with a great attitude. He's fielded high-arching punts, caught line-drive kicks and fielded squibbers … and not once has he lost possession of the ball.

That's good. But his 4.2-yard average on nine punt returns isn't.

Nebraska needs a spark here. Somebody who can jump-start the team. Somebody who can potentially change a game with a long return. Somebody who can set up a struggling offense in prime field position.

Remember DeJuan Groce in 2002?

I understand ball security is important, and Panico is very, very strong in this department. But surely somebody else can catch punts consistently and outrun me.

Is Marque McCray that fumble-prone? What about Cortney Grixby? Tierre Green?

And although risky, I'm not against trying a Bullocks kid, or Fabian Washington, either.

Stat of the week

For those of you wondering, Nebraska isn't quite on pace for setting an NCAA Division I-A record for most turnovers in a season.

The record is 61, set by North Texas in 1971 and tied by Tulsa in 1976.

Nebraska has 23 turnovers through five games, which puts the Huskers on pace for 55 turnovers. (That's including a bowl game).

link

I agree that losing was probally going to take place but I don't think that a 60 point loss no matter how many new coaches, new plays, new players we have was warranted. We need to start doing the little things better like ball control, turnovers, penalties. If start doing these things better than it would make the transition a little easier and it wouldn't result in any 60 point losses.

I agree that losing was probally going to take place but I don't think that a 60 point loss no matter how many new coaches, new plays, new players we have was warranted. We need to start doing the little things better like ball control, turnovers, penalties. If start doing these things better than it would make the transition a little easier and it wouldn't result in any 60 point losses.

I agree, but it isn't like the team is trying to lose by 60.