COSGROVE

In my opinion..... Andre Jones was BY FAR the weakest link on the D last year!!!

Wow.....he did strugle at times because of inexperience, but Grixby seemed out matched most of the time.

Grixby was out matched because he was the best option we had to go up against the #1 receivers. He'd probably be better covering the #2 or slot receivers. Saying that one of our top tacklers was the weakest link is insane. He struggled early, but played well at the end of the season (much like Bowman did).

In my opinion..... Andre Jones was BY FAR the weakest link on the D last year!!!

The USC game definitely highlighted his inexperience and lack of size. I think Grixby was often in the right spot, but just couldn't make the play.

IMHO, i think Grixby was the best CB last year, but he is TO SHORT! Jones was taller, but played BAD/POOR technique and got burned. Injury to Bowman and moving Green to Rover hurt. Past

Rovers like Minter and Brown, were guys that could have been descent CBs. I river is just a CB that loves to hit more than cover. The FS is the Rover w/o quicks, and has more control of his aggression. USC has size and speed, but that is because the depend on getting 4-5 star recruits. VA Tech recruits to position just like we used to do. Remember when no one wanted an option QB, but NU, CU and Notre Dame? Late 80s and early 90s. Note that they all won MNCs in that period. UT gets the 21st century version of Tommie Frazier (VY AKA #10) and they are able to overcome Mack Brown.

A solid secondary allows you to go crazy with the front seven, otherwise you have to do what weve done the last several years witch is use LBs to help the secondary. Our DBs should be better this year so look for Octavien to have a break out year, especially coming off the edge.

Bingo!

A solid secondary allows you to go crazy with the front seven, otherwise you have to do what weve done the last several years witch is use LBs to help the secondary. Our DBs should be better this year so look for Octavien to have a break out year, especially coming off the edge.

great point and sooo true, unfortunately good offenses took advantage of many mis matches against our LBs i also feel Octavian will be quicker this yr

The USC game definitely highlighted his inexperience and lack of size. I think Grixby was often in the right spot, but just couldn't make the play.

IMHO, i think Grixby was the best CB last year, but he is TO SHORT! Jones was taller, but played BAD/POOR technique and got burned. Injury to Bowman and moving Green to Rover hurt. Past

Rovers like Minter and Brown, were guys that could have been descent CBs. I river is just a CB that loves to hit more than cover. The FS is the Rover w/o quicks, and has more control of his aggression. USC has size and speed, but that is because the depend on getting 4-5 star recruits. VA Tech recruits to position just like we used to do. Remember when no one wanted an option QB, but NU, CU and Notre Dame? Late 80s and early 90s. Note that they all won MNCs in that period. UT gets the 21st century version of Tommie Frazier (VY AKA #10) and they are able to overcome Mack Brown.

they should have put Grixby at rover, because thats just what he does "grazes" Green should have been kept at corner he has been the fastest DB in the last 4 yrs at 6'1" 210 he matches up well with size and speed against recievers on quality teams. im sure he will be a corner in the pros...hes too fast and quick.

Wow.....he did strugle at times because of inexperience, but Grixby seemed out matched most of the time.

Saying that one of our top tacklers was the weakest link is insane.

Having your corner being one of the top tacklers is a very bad thing. That doesnt mean he is good , that means O-Coordinators are targeting him......wonder why?.........Oh ya cause he sucks. :lol:

I know everyone in Huskerland knows the success we had in the mid 90s was directly related to our DEFENSE and the 4-3 attack. I feel with Cosgrove we have fallen back into the craig bohl style of defense where our D is reacting and not attacking. during our NC domination tour our defense controlled the oppositions play calling and forced the issue. I feel like we are waiting for cos to learn a more advanced system or he is just to stubborn to see what has worked in the past and ignore it. I understand the talent was better, Ortiz and Farley were insanely gifted, but systems need to be practiced and incorporated to recruit need for specific positions. P.S. Grixby is probably the worst DB i have seen play defense @ NU....I would much rather see someone with better physical ability and absolutely no exp play corner.

P.S. It's apparent that you don't remember a CB by the name of Pat Ricketts. Or as I called him.... TOAST!

OMG....ur right, im sorry....but didnt they bench him or turn him into something else? 4 sure he was awful, i was tempted to try out 4 the team, that guy gave us armchairs a thought of playing. and then you wonder how bad is it down there? fortunately we are recruiting some exp DBs, regardless of exp all the players on the team want the best man out there, learning on the fly whatever. as a player i could accept a young guy with little exp as long as i knew he was going to get better and help me in the future.

The defense had issues last year because of the secondary, plain and simple. Grixby is a liability. For proof, just re-watch the Big 12 title game last year. With how weak the back 4 were, it made the defense slide into a lot more zone schemes that used the LBs in pass defense instead of attacking the QB or RB.

Teams knew what the weak point was and attacked it. Hence Jones with so many tackles. Grixby gave up a lot more big plays though, as he was out of possition to even make a tackle, many of the balls thrown in his direction would get tackled by a safety, if they got tackled at all.

The defense had issues last year because of the secondary, plain and simple. Grixby is a liability. For proof, just re-watch the Big 12 title game last year. With how weak the back 4 were, it made the defense slide into a lot more zone schemes that used the LBs in pass defense instead of attacking the QB or RB.

Teams knew what the weak point was and attacked it. Hence Jones with so many tackles. Grixby gave up a lot more big plays though, as he was out of possition to even make a tackle, many of the balls thrown in his direction would get tackled by a safety, if they got tackled at all.

thats probably why the fat guy in kansas pleaded with the fans not to tear down the goal posts.

so...exp vs athletic ability? physically able CB with little exp from HS and potiential to learn or physically unable CB with lots of exp and still getting TOASTED? how many time can i bang my head into this concrete wall? why are we wasting time on people who have not gotten the job done? can we please spend this season teaching our future DBs by throwing them into the fire early and often>

Exactly

i wonder just how much better our DB's will be this year?

same or little improvement or somewhat improved? vastly improved is not an option.

coahes have to know from 7 on 7 what we have, i find it hard to believe there is nobody down there better than Grixby....does Turman have any eligibilty left?