Husker Q&A with Running Back Marlon Lucky

Husker Q&A with Running Back Marlon Lucky

Courtesy: NU Media Relations

Release: 08/02/2007

Send this article to a friend Print

Marlon Lucky answers questions about the upcoming season.

View larger Courtesy: Scott Bruhn/NU Media Relations

Marlon Lucky answers questions about the upcoming season.

Check in with junior running back Marlon Lucky before the start of Nebraska's fall football camp. Complete coverage of the Huskers' fall camp, including practice reports, photos and audio clips can be found beginning next Monday on Huskers.com. Also, check Huskers.com for your first chance to meet the Nebraska newcomers with Houndin' the Huskers, beginning next Wednesday.

How are you feeling going into practice Monday?

“I feel great. I just want to get to it and get the season on. It’s going to be an exciting season.”

Are you in any different shape than at the end of last year?

“I’m pretty much the same. I got stronger and more explosive, but that’s about it. My weight’s about 210, the same as last year, but I’m trying to get a little smaller so I can hit those corners.”

Why did you stay in Lincoln all summer?

“I don’t have a lot to do at home, so I stayed here and took two classes to catch up on my hours. I took off a month last year, but I wanted to stay here to finish up my running and get in shape.”

Coming off the spring game, how quickly were you healthy?

“I’m about full health. After the spring game it took some time to heal that tweaked muscle, but I recovered. It took only about two or three weeks to recover.”

Was it scary when you were injured in the game?

“It was extremely scary to go through. It probably scared me more than anything. A lot of the players previously had ACL’s and MCL’s, and I thought I was next. I just prayed that it wasn’t too serious. Sometimes it would hurt this summer, but it wasn’t too big. I put some ice on it and I’m good.”

What do you expect from yourself this season?

“Just to go out and help the team and to do what I can do and bring my talent to the field.”

Do you like having competition at running back or would you prefer to know that you were going to start?

“To me, I like competing. In high school, I had a solid job, but here we people on your back. Cody (Glenn), he’s right there behind me and so is Major (Culbert) and the rest of the backs. If I relax somebody is going to pull ahead of me so I have to keep working.”

How are the freshmen running backs learning the system?

“Me and Cody are going to be pretty much teachers. We’ve got a lot of new backs and for them to come in and learn the system is going to be hard for them. Quentin (Castille) is just a big back. That guy is just huge. He was good running in the summer and (Marcus) Mendoza, we all saw him speeding this spring. And Roy (Helu), he’s good with his feet. For them to come in and learn this is going to be hard for them.”

Do those freshman guys know what they’re in for?

“They’re already asking me and Cody to help them out. They were asking them to help them this summer with the routes. It’s going to be hard for them, but we did it, so they have to go through it.”

How is Cody (Glenn) doing?

“He looks good. He and I are going to complement each other like we did freshman year.”

How did it feel to make the Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Honor Roll?

“I didn’t know about it until my uncle called me and told me. It was surprising. Last time I was on the honor roll was my senior year (of high school) so this is a big deal. My uncle Stanley, he pounds school and studying. School is before everything.”

Does that academic success translate to football?

“It’s pretty much just settling down and focusing on what you’re here to do. I’m here for school and football and that’s what I’ve been doing the whole time. I’ve been studying plays and studying school work. I’m taking my time with everything and not rushing through it all.”

What is your comfort level now as compared to two years ago?

“I’m real comfortable here now knowing the whole scheme and the West Coast Offense. It’s the biggest offense there is and being comfortable is important.”

How have you changed in the offseason?

“It was a turning point. A big turning point. I was doing horrible here. All the stuff was too fast for me and I had to slow down. You have to live life one day at a time and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a future in front of me. I need to be more mature about everything and take life seriously.”

How will this new attitude affect you this fall?

“I’ve got to be a leader. It’s my third year here and we’ve got a lot of freshmen coming in that are looking at me as a role model. We’ve got to stick together and help each other out. To be a leader you’ve got to do that.”

Is finally speaking out publicly and being in front of the media part of maturing?

“I have to talk more. I haven’t talked much in the past. I have to let people know who I am and what I’m here for and that I’m looking to go to the next level.”