First time to Lincoln for a game...suggestions?

M&WAgs

Me and a few fellow Aggies are making our first trip to Lincoln for the game this year. I have heard several good things about yalls game day experience and the Big Red fan base. I had a few beers with a couple of your fans in College Station after the game last year and they convinced me to make the trip this year.

We plan on arriving around 6pm Friday and want to get the most out of our trip and enjoy the Big Red game day experience to the fullest.

Is there anything special to do Friday night or just go to the bars and what bars are good to go to?

I hear the tailgating is awesome.

Does that all take place on campus? If not on campus, where at?

Can you walk around campus with a beer?

I am not sure what we will do before the game as it would be hard for us to have our own tailgate but I know we want to drink so any suggestions for pre-game would be great.

Good luck against USC and Missouri as I see these games will be your two biggest challenges before us. I will be pulling for Big Red in hopes of getting a top 15 matchup pending that we do our part against Miami and ttech. Regardless, I think the game will be as good if not better than last year.

Also, where is the visitor section in Memorial Stadium?

Sorry if another Aggie has been on here to ask these type of questions in another thread. I will be sure to link this thread to our message board once there are a few replies to keep these threads on here to a minimum.

All replies will be greatly appreciated. See you in October. Gig 'em. M&WAgs

Welcome to the board!

Some suggestions for ya:

Food

Definitely try a Runza. It isn't for everyone, but it is Nebraska. Same with Valentino's Pizza. More than likely both will be offered at the stadium, but it isn't always as fresh there as it is around town.

A little more upscale, Lazlo's and Misty's is also a favorite amongst Nebraskans and opponents' fans. Lazlo's has a nice mix of everything, awesome local beers, and Misty's has great steaks. Both are downtown.

Lodging

Embassy Suites is a stone's throw from the stadium, and close to everything. Same can be said with the Holiday Inn. Reserve early for gameday weekends.

Entertainment

The Sidetrack bar is a favorite for football fans on the Fri. night before the game, but the humor is definitely on an adult level. (but hey...it is a bar!) Lots of other bars and nightlife downtown. Try the Elk Creek at Sandy's on Fri. night. Barry's is pretty popular on Gameday. Don't be afraid to ask locals where they are going to hang out to have a good time, many will probably invite you to come with them. We aren't the best fans in the world for nothing! Some bars downtown cater more to the college crowd, but even most of them are pretty cool towards opposing fans. We may look intimidating, but start talking intelligently about football, smile and look like you want to have fun, and chances are you've made a new friend.

Tailgating probably doesn't change a whole lot from place to place, but if you don't know anyone here, chat it up with the people who are tailgating! Nebraskans live for speaking football, sharing food and drinks, and getting to know the opposing fans. I know quite a few opponents who get invited to the same tailgate party year after year...and it all started with them just saying 'hello.'

Hope this helps, there is plenty more to offer, and I'm sure many others on here will be more than happy to suggest just that.

Nebraska...you'll never lose in a nicer place! ;)

Fops

He knows the deal. When I came to visit, I'd stay at the Embassy Suites. It's a very central location so you have access to everything. You have to eat a Runza when you come up here. It's one of those things that you just have to do.

P.S. Looking forward to giving it to the Ags again. No disrespect personally, but I was born an Aggie-hater lol. Maybe it's because my family is a Baylor family and we're tired of losing? haha.

a little off topic but we also play USC, that by far is the biggest challenge, anyways welcome to the board, don't be afraid to stick around and talk football, it is always good to have other team's fans perspective. A suggestion for the game is to not get to drunk before the game, make sure to take it all in and remember if there are kids around to try and conduct yourself in a manor that is apporiate. Have Fun :bonez

• 2 weeks later...