Badger fans talk about Cosgrove on message board

I copied and pasted some info I found on a Wisconsin message board called Badger Blitz.com

http://wisconsin.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi...41&sid=&style=2

(Husker Fan) What did you guys think of COZ when he was there? Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys have a great defense this year, and I was wondering what the general fan base thought of Cozgrove while he was there. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive said it before and will say it again "it was about time he left." As a badger fan I watched his mediocre defenses for too long and would have liked to see him leave with his last good defense in 99. I actually live in nebraska and see what he has done with the blackshirts, who I now refer to as the cozshirts. Last year with pelini nebraskas defense finished 11 in total D, 1st in pass eff d and 2nd in scoring d, what are the rankings this year i haven't even seen yet but when youre giving up 408 yards to baylor and almost 300 yards on the ground alone to a bad k state youve gotta be near the bottom of the conference.

ON the flipside look at our defense, we lost our entire linebacking crew and otherwise have the same defense that finished in the mid forties in total d. New coordinator and bingo top ten in every statistical category, I don't think its a coincedence that it happened after cos left I think he was the problem or "the plague" as I like to call him.

Thats sums up my feelings on the issue, good luck with the new sh**ty defense and corn coast offense, maybe callahan should take a page from his offensive playbook from 90-94 when he was OC at wisconsin, hand the ball off 40 times a game it will result in alot less turnovers and not allow the other team as much time on the field to run up the score.

Posted on 10/24 3:50 PM | IP: Logged

BigAppleBucky

user profile

Post #704 I'll stick up for Cos a little bit Reply

First, Cosgrove had really strong defenses in 1998 and 1999.

Second, the 2000 team wasn't all that bad, but the 2001 guys were very very young and had four(!!) guys in the two-deep go down with injuries over that season. Still, they managed to beat Ohio State in Columbus, holding them to 17 points.

Third, the 2002 and 2003 units also suffered from injuries. Erasmus James, who will probably be an All-American was hurt and out for the season in fall camp. And Brett Bell, who's starting and doing very well this year at CB and probably would have started last year, was also hurt.

Fourth, he lost his defensive backfield coach three years in a row. That's no way to build continuity/stability.

Those things said, I think Cosgrove got a bit stale here and needed to move on. I'm sorry bout the 70 point game. Don't know about the talent available or injury situation at Nebraska.

PS: He always did a nice job recruiting for us in Saint Louis and Illinois.

ON WISCONSIN!!

Posted on 10/24 4:57 PM | IP: Logged

hofforbucky

user profile

Lincoln NE

Post #133 Re: I'll stick up for Cos a little bit Reply

take a look at nebraska's last year versus this year statistics, its amazing the difference he made.

ntl rank 2003 2004

Total D 11 45

Pass Eff 1 37

Run D 24 13

Scoring D 2 81

Pass D 11 89

note: The nebraska d returned all but 2 starters from last year. I think the numbers speak for themselves as to how good of a DC he is.

Now lets look at UW's

ntl ranking 2003 2004

Total D 43 3

Pass Eff 49 2

Run D 48 8

Scoring D 50 1

Pass D 49 4

all stats from ncaa.org

Posted on 10/24 5:25 PM | IP: Logged