Stewart Mandel's Mailbag

At this point in time, what do you see as a bigger advantage leading up to the Nebraska-USC Sept. 15 showdown: USC's week of rest after playing Idaho or Nebraska's two weeks of experience playing Nevada and Wake Forest?

--Thom Roose, Cincinnati

If this were later in the season, I'd say USC, because the week off gives tailback Chauncey Washington, receiver Patrick Turner and any other banged-up players an extra week to heal. But the Trojans didn't exactly look like a well-oiled machine in their opener -- if anything, they looked like they were going through the motions -- and I'm sure Pete Carroll would love another tune-up prior to facing the Huskers. Meanwhile, Nebraska couldn't ask for a much better warm-up than a road game against a quality BCS-conference opponent that it should still win (especially if Deacons QB Riley Skinner doesn't play). The only way I could see it being a disadvantage is if any of their key players get hurt in Winston-Salem.

How would you expect him to answer the question? It's bad for NU if we get key players hurt. It's also bad for NU if we lose the game. It's good if no one gets hurt and we win the game. What if Lucky sustains another concussion? It would be real bad because no only do we lose him for USC, we more than likely miss him for quite a bit of the season. I doubt his crystal ball is any clearer than yours or mine. There are good things that could come out of it for NU, and there are possibly bad things that could come about as well.

At this point in time, what do you see as a bigger advantage leading up to the Nebraska-USC Sept. 15 showdown: USC's week of rest after playing Idaho or Nebraska's two weeks of experience playing Nevada and Wake Forest?

--Thom Roose, Cincinnati

If this were later in the season, I'd say USC, because the week off gives tailback Chauncey Washington, receiver Patrick Turner and any other banged-up players an extra week to heal. But the Trojans didn't exactly look like a well-oiled machine in their opener -- if anything, they looked like they were going through the motions -- and I'm sure Pete Carroll would love another tune-up prior to facing the Huskers. Meanwhile, Nebraska couldn't ask for a much better warm-up than a road game against a quality BCS-conference opponent that it should still win (especially if Deacons QB Riley Skinner doesn't play). The only way I could see it being a disadvantage is if any of their key players get hurt in Winston-Salem.

Damn that bastard Stewie Mandel to hell. He jinxed us for sure. :madash

There are good things that could come out of it for NU, and there are possibly bad things that could come about as well.

Well, there are always the "what ifs". What if Keller get hurt. Or Mo? Or Suh? I see your point, but I don't see the Huskers losing the WF game; and, because we have much more depth this year, the Huskers should be riding a wave of momentum going into the USC game. Cally isn't going to be timid about his game plan. It's going to be a shoot-out!! I can't friggin wait! Cause I'll be one of the roughly 80,000 fans screaming my lungs out!!!! Was Carroll smart about scheduling a bye week before this game? I don't know. After their flat performance last week though, I bet Carroll wishes that there was another tune-up game before his team faces the Huskers.

GBR GBR GBR