Callahan: NU will take typical approach this week

Foppa

Callahan: NU will take typical approach this week

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Sep 10, 2007 - 01:25:22 pm CDT

With Nebraska’s showdown with No. 1 Southern Cal just five days away, Husker coach Bill Callahan seemed in full hunker-down mode as he answered questions during Monday’s Big 12 Coaches teleconference.

“We’ve been in big games. We’ve played the Michigans, and the Auburns, and the Oklahomas, and the Texases. This is the next big game on our schedule,” Callahan said. “It’s just a way for us to get better. That’s all we’re into.”

The Huskers will have to improve from Saturday’s performance at Wake Forest, a game that went down to the final minute before Nebraska prevailed 20-17.

The 14th-ranked Huskers struggled establishing the run, turned the ball over three times and had trouble containing Wake’s ground game.

The Huskers twice rallied from deficits to beat the defending ACC champs.

And while Callahan wasn’t about to apologize for a road win like that, he did say: “We could have played a lot better. We left a lot of yards on the field the other day. As we watched the film with the team, we were disappointed that we didn’t play better. We just feel we can play better. That’s the game of football. You get a whole week to improve yourself.”

Callahan continued with his trend of not revealing much about injuries.

He was asked about the health of safety Tierre Green, who left the game in the third quarter with a shoulder stinger.

“I think he’ll be day-to-day.”

He was asked about the health of defensive tackle Ty Steinkuhler, who made the trip to Wake but didn’t play because of a knee injury suffered in the opener.

“He worked out on Friday and Saturday, traveled with the team. He didn’t play, but he’s another guy that will be day-to-day.”

While a great deal of hype will surround the USC game, Callahan said his team will take the same approach it does every week.

Asked if there’s a certain message he’ll preach to senior quarterback Sam Keller this week, Callahan said: “Just the same message as we do week in and out. It’s no different.

“This is a big game because it’s our next game. We’ve been real consistent in that regard. That’s our approach. That’s how we’ve always approached each week’s contest.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at 473-7439 or bchristopherson@journalstar.com.

“It’s just a way for us to get better. That’s all we’re into.”

WTB Hawkins, now that guy knows how to motivate.

Is it me or is this the same approach cally did last year, as to not say anything to spur up emotions before the game.

"EDIT"

Just wanted to address this: “This is a big game because it’s our next game. We’ve been real consistent in that regard. That’s our approach. That’s how we’ve always approached each week’s contest.” Did this leave you all with the same warm fuzzy that it left me for this weeks practices?!?

“We’ve been in big games. We’ve played the Michigans, and the Auburns, and the Oklahomas, and the Texases. This is the next big game on our schedule,” Callahan said. “It’s just a way for us to get better. That’s all we’re into.”

Uhmm, correct me if I'm wrong but.. out of all those "big" games he's talking about.. we won one of them, and if that fumble recovery had been ruled incomplete pass we probably wouldn't have won that one (was a huge win, don't get me wrong.. but we did get a bit lucky in that game.... the michigan game if you couldn't figure it out, lol). We had so much hype surrounding us for that game with the "restore the order" campaign, etc.. and we knocked off a highly lauded michigan team.

We also ALMOST beat Texas last year who didn't end up being as good as everyone thought.

I have a problem with BC talking about this USC game as if it's no big deal. Every time we have a shot at playing a top 10 team we should be chomping at the bit and throwing everything we have at them. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we bring BC in to restore us to a National Championship contending program? Why are we using good teams to help us "get better", instead of using them to show that we are better?

We should be going into this game as if it will make or break our season.. hell as if it will make or break our program... I want to see that kind of intensity out of our coaches/players in a game like this. I don't care if we lose.. but if we leave everything we had on the field then there can be no regrets.. no doubt that we played to win, that we played like we wanted to be a top program again.

I just don't understand this nonchalance on the part of BC. "That's all we're into"??? Damn, I guess I must be delusional.. I thought "all we were into" was supposed to be winning a national championship.

All I can hope is that BC&co. are intentionally downplaying this game, and last week was nothing like we'll see this week. If BC doesn't come out and try and make a statement with this game I will be pissed. He should open the playbook wide open.. Coz should mix up defensive schemes like he threw the playbook in a blender to try and keep the USC offense confused and out of synch. A few trick plays at key points would be good (2 or 3 at the right times). We should keep our best players in there on both sides of the ball as much as possible, kill the regular rotation except to give some rest... and just lay it ALL out. Anything short of that I feel would be a disservice to our players, our fans, and our program.

Am I wrong?

Uhmm, correct me if I'm wrong but.. out of all those "big" games he's talking about.. we won one of them, and if that fumble recovery had been ruled incomplete pass we probably wouldn't have won that one (was a huge win, don't get me wrong.. but we did get a bit lucky in that game.... the michigan game if you couldn't figure it out, lol). We had so much hype surrounding us for that game with the "restore the order" campaign, etc.. and we knocked off a highly lauded michigan team.

We also ALMOST beat Texas last year who didn't end up being as good as everyone thought.

I have a problem with BC talking about this USC game as if it's no big deal. Every time we have a shot at playing a top 10 team we should be chomping at the bit and throwing everything we have at them. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we bring BC in to restore us to a National Championship contending program? Why are we using good teams to help us "get better", instead of using them to show that we are better?

We should be going into this game as if it will make or break our season.. hell as if it will make or break our program... I want to see that kind of intensity out of our coaches/players in a game like this. I don't care if we lose.. but if we leave everything we had on the field then there can be no regrets.. no doubt that we played to win, that we played like we wanted to be a top program again.

I just don't understand this nonchalance on the part of BC. "That's all we're into"??? Damn, I guess I must be delusional.. I thought "all we were into" was supposed to be winning a national championship.

All I can hope is that BC&co. are intentionally downplaying this game, and last week was nothing like we'll see this week. If BC doesn't come out and try and make a statement with this game I will be pissed. He should open the playbook wide open.. Coz should mix up defensive schemes like he threw the playbook in a blender to try and keep the USC offense confused and out of synch. A few trick plays at key points would be good (2 or 3 at the right times). We should keep our best players in there on both sides of the ball as much as possible, kill the regular rotation except to give some rest... and just lay it ALL out. Anything short of that I feel would be a disservice to our players, our fans, and our program.

Am I wrong?

No...I like what you said.

And of course they are downplaying this game...or they better be.

Well god I hope they're downplaying it publicly but are all sorts of amped up behind the scenes. Because BC was saying on the Coach Callahan show how he wants the fans to be the most energetic and the loudest they've ever been.. and if he wants the fans to be lay it all out, damnit I expect him to lay it all out too.

Am I wrong?

I think Cally is keeping things on the down low, for the sake that he doesn't leak any good info to the Trojan team. On Rivals the Trojans already published an article talking about this same interview.

A lesson in coaching, being a gentleman, and overall manliness, you don't jump up and down, scream and get red in the face because you've got a lauded opponent getting on a plane this week. Bill Callahan exemplefies the Nebraska way in his statement, and it's something I can't believe people don't recognize.

Day by day, we get better and better, until we can't be beat, won't be beat.

Sounds kind of exactly like what he said. He merely mentions the first part, and the rest can be inferred. Bill Callahan's team is breaking huddles with the words "Nation Champions." If that isn't motivated, I don't know what is. And if you think for one minute that the players aren't turning into madmen over the Saturday, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the attitude. They'll be going crazy, and that's the duty of a player in a game like this.

But as for our coach, I don't want a maniac. I want a humble, Nebraskan kind of guy who just smiles politely, declines comment, and lets the game decide where he stands.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Gimme a break.

I am guess he should break out Hogan style

IT'S A BIG GAME BROTHER!!!.

Please.

no Dave, but this IS college ball and a few real upbeat comments sure could not have hurt. If i was a player i think i would be looking for a little more "attitude" in the coaches comments. May not mean much to you, but remember huge motivation and positive comments (beside through prep) can make a huge difference in how the kids perceive the game. Seemed pretty damn dull to me, with little more than, "this is just another game we want to win". sounds like "just one game and just one season" to me. somethings are hard to forget, aren't they??