Hypothetical Scenario

Husker_x

Okay, this is not meant to be a prediction, but I was just sitting here and the thought occured to me, so I'll open it up for discussion.

–––

Saturday, Sept. 15: The night settles in with a chill in the air. Fall is here. The Trojans and the Huskers shake hands, exchange complimentary words, and return to the locker room. One team prepares to celebrate, the others prepare for a quiet ride home.

Final Score: Nebraska 45, USC 14.

The number one team in the nation was obliterated tonight by Nebraska's seemingly underranked defense. The blacksirts tallied up 4 sacks, 2 INTs and 1 FF. Booty was forced to scramble from the pocket all night, but was met with a variety of disguised outise blitzes. The safeties truly stepped up this evening, leaving the former Heisman hopeful stunned and dismayed, and with very few options. He completed a mere 13 of 26 passes. And what's worse, their plethora of touted running backs did little to assuage the agony of an inconsistent passing game, amassing a paltry 126 yards.

With their murderous road schedule and the dangers facing them with the LSU Tigers on the prowl if they yet manage to climb into the BCS picture, SC faithful have to be wondering whether or not the future of this season is permenantly stained red.

In any case, the question on everyone's mind this evening is where, exactly, did this Husker team come from? Sam Keller, touted transfer from ASU, caught fire midway through the first quarter. After a turnover was placed in his steady hands, he led Bill Callahan's west coast offense on a snappy drive that visibly sucked the will from the Trojan's veteran defense. Marlon Lucky broke a thirty-five yard run on the second play, and the succeeding passes topped off by a three yard smash from freshmen Quentin Castille put the Husker's name on the board and the stadium erupted into a frenzy that didn't die off until the waning seconds of the 4th.

Drive after drive the thick Nebraskan front opened holes large and small. It became clear late in the 2nd that Pete Carroll's D-line were not expecting this kind of effort. Fans were beginning to wonder if Lucky and Co. had been possessed with the spirit of ye olden Nebraska. But––and here's the scary part––the passing game was every bit as effective.

One thing is for sure: if the Big Red keep up this pace, we've good reason to believe that Callahan will be marching toward and possibly through the South team that shows on December 1st. Rejoice, Husker Nation, after tonight the world remembers your name.

––––

What do you think the reaction would be if such a story broke on Sunday morning? What would it mean for the program, Callahan, recruiting, etc.? If Nebraska won such a victory, is it safe to assume that a NC might be a very real possibility in our near future? And what about the following weeks at Ball St. and ISU?

Again, NOT a prediction, although wouldn't it be nice. :corndance

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Wow, that took a lot of time and I am impressed with the detail. First, if that happened I would take down pleasefirecallahan.com Second, NU would be excellerated into the top 8 and we would quickly become a national power again. Recruits would be begging to come here and NU Football would once again be on the map. We would turn a big corner in the BC era. And third, we would solve world peace and find a replacement fuel for oil....LOL.

It would be one of the biggest wins in our programs history b/c it would put us on the fast track for success. IF we did that then we wouldn't slip against lesser opponents again. Oh, and I would buy everyone on this board drinks Saturday night. That I will do if we win. Honestly, I want us to win SO badly that I will buy everyone drinks on Sat night if we pull it off.

A win over USC (whether it was close or followed your scenario) would be very big for recruiting.

For the rest, I think it would mainly depend on how the rest of the season shaped up. Could Nebraska continue that level of play and win the Big XII? If they could, then it would probably signal the Huskers returning to national title contention on a fairly regular basis. If not, well, it would still be taken as a step in the right direction for the program.

I guess I should say it would also depend on how the game itself looked. Was USC just not playing well that night, were they really not as good as everyone said, or did they play well but Nebraska just dominated? And you'd get some indication of whether or not they were overrated by how the rest of their season went. Obviously if it went well, it would make Nebraska look better.

I guess I should say it would also depend on how the game itself looked. Was USC just not playing well that night, were they really not as good as everyone said, or did they play well but Nebraska just dominated? And you'd get some indication of whether or not they were overrated by how the rest of their season went. Obviously if it went well, it would make Nebraska look better.

if NU wins this game, the National Media will say exactly that.......USC had an off game, and is still the better team

Well, they may be right. You can usually tell by watching the game, though, if a team is having an off night or if they're getting dominated.

Now, to be fair, I don't think it's possible to beat USC by the score listed in the OP without a fair amount of domination. I just don't think USC could play that bad, even on an off night on the road. And I think if Nebraska really did win with a score like that, it would be hard to say it was mostly due to USC having a bad game.

What if Nebraska beat USC by 80-0 and Texas by 90-0 and Oklahoma by 100-0 and LSU by 110-0 in the national championship game???

And everyone else they beat by at least 120-0??

Do you think Nebraska would win the national championship, and all the good players will want to come to Lincoln, and maybe Nebraska would win 147 games in a row??? And nobody ever again would dare suggest that Nebraska wasn't the best football team in all of recorded history???

Something to think about!!!

What if Nebraska beat USC by 80-0 and Texas by 90-0 and Oklahoma by 100-0 and LSU by 110-0 in the national championship game???

And everyone else they beat by at least 120-0??

Do you think Nebraska would win the national championship, and all the good players will want to come to Lincoln, and maybe Nebraska would win 147 games in a row??? And nobody ever again would dare suggest that Nebraska wasn't the best football team in all of recorded history???

Something to think about!!!

Lay off the blow.

if NU wins this game, the National Media will say exactly that.......USC had an off game, and is still the better team

Shuck the media